Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Oppo bdp-93 hook up options??

Good Day Gents! Looking to buy an Oppo bdp-93,and as i am a blue-ray/sacd virgin,I was wondering what is the best way to hook this bad girl up to my reciever? I've read alot about the analog upscaling,and a hdmi hook-up as well,which leaves me a little confused! I'm looking for the best sounding option for cd/sacd playback. I currently listen to cd's on a cheap Sony dvd player,and am looking to get the best sound possible through a universal bdp! I'll be hookin it up to my sig below,and am wondering if i will need to order any more cables with my purchase that i may need for superior sound! Thanx for any sound help!
    "Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"

Quote Originally Posted by bobsauto49 View Post
    Good Day Gents! Looking to buy an Oppo bdp-93,and as i am a blue-ray/sacd virgin,I was wondering what is the best way to hook this bad girl up to my receiver? I've read a lot about the analog upscaling,and a HDMI hook-up as well,which leaves me a little confused! I'm looking for the best sounding option for CD/sacd playback. I currently listen to cd's on a cheap Sony dvd player,and am looking to get the best sound possible through a universal bdp! I'll be hooking it up to my sig below,and am wondering if i will need to order any more cables with my purchase that i may need for superior sound! Thanx for any sound help!
    You have two issues here; Blu-ray audio, and SACD/CD audio.

Not being familiar with your AVR, you will need to experiment to find out what sounds better, Oppo or AVR.

For Blu-ray audio the Oppo can decode the lossless formats into PCM and pass it to the AVR via HDMI. There, the AVR DACs take over, and turn it into sound. The benefit here is a cheapo HDMI cable is all you need to connect to the AVR. The drawback is that maybe the Oppo DACs are better than the AVR. In that case, you need to let the Oppo do the D/A and send it to the AVR via analog cables. For movies you are looking at 5-7 analog cables. This can get expensive.

The same issues apply to surround sound SACD, and, to a lesser extent, two channel SACD/CD. If the Oppo D/A analog sounds better than the AVR D/A analog the use that route and buy the appropriate analog cables.

With my Oppo 93 I use HDMI to my AVR, and let the Oppo decode the Blu-ray formats since my AVR does not support the newer formats. However, for SACD/CD I use my Sony 9100ES connected via iLink to my AVR to provide digital SACD to the AVR. So, I lucked out and did not need to buy analog cables between the Oppo, or the Sony, and the AVR pre/pro. Of course, I still needed to buy analog cables between the AVR and the amp, but that is fine.

Thanx for the detailed reply BlueFox! Are these settings something i will have to change in the oppo,and Avr? Or does one off the 2 reconize which source i'm using? And from what i read,some like blu-rays through hdmi,while they prefer music through analog. Does that sound normal? And if so,is this something you can hook up at the same time,and program the avr/oppo to use when either are being used,without switching cables back and forth? Hope that doesn't sound too confusing.

I have an Oppo 93 as well and love it
    After reading through the manual and trying a few set ups i found the best was to take advantage of the great video chip in the 93 and connected it direct to my TV with an HDMI --- then ran a 2nd HDMI for audio to my AVR

as BLUE FOX points out I may get some improvemnt to audio with analog cables but -A. it sounds sooooo good & B. I had the hdmi cable already
    Onkyo TX-SR804 receiver
    Parasound 5250
    LSI 15's
    LSI C
    LSI FX's
    PSW1000 Sub
    OPPO 93
    Sony CDP-C315 CD
    Monster AC line cond
    Audioquest, Blue Jeans & Monster wires/connects
    40" Sony Bravia XBR6

I'd use HDMI for movies and picture and since it seems that all SACD players have 6.1/7.1 analog hookups i'd use some $800,000 analog cables for music.

^ But i cant afford that! Now What?^
    Last edited by bobsauto49; 01-16-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: typo

I'm kiddin. idk if an $800,000 cable exists.

I have an audioquest G-snake and a sidewinder and they're nice.

I have used Blue Jeans Cables - which i found out about on Polk Forum and like 'em!
    Onkyo TX-SR804 receiver
    Parasound 5250
    LSI 15's
    LSI C
    LSI FX's
    PSW1000 Sub
    OPPO 93
    Sony CDP-C315 CD
    Monster AC line cond
    40" Sony Bravia XBR6

I haven't used Signal cables but plan to one day. It's the only brand of cables I see recommended on this forum because they're good cables and a good deal.

Thanx for the input fellas!

niente - Going to do something annoying to some and that is ask a question without having all the info in front of me (I'm at work and should wait 'till home), still ...

I just installed my new BDP-93 yesterday and did so knowing that it had two HDMI outs and that one of them (this is where I'm missing info I should have) sends an "enhanced" signal while the other a "normal" signal.

I connected the Oppo's "enhanced" HDMI (maybe #1) out to an HDMI "in" on my AVR. Then the AVR's HDMI "out" just goes to the back of my TV's HDMI 1 input.

Will be adding the second HDMI cable tonite.

If I've got this right, the "enhanced" Oppo HDMI 1 out should go directly to the TV's other HDMI in (#2) and the other Oppo HDMI out to an "in" on the AVR.

Hate not having all the info ... but, if I understand things correctly, this would allow me to select the TV's HDMI 2 input and receive an enhanced video signal from the Oppo while the AVR will do its own thing processing the audio.

Okay, assuming I've got this right, is this the only way to take advantage of the Oppo's "enhanced" feature? or is there another way ... ?
    Last edited by Gulfstrings; 01-17-2012 at 01:13 PM.
    Marantz AV7005
    Marantz MM7055
    Onkyo DX-755 CdP
    Oppo BDP-93
    Technics SL-1301/Shure M97xE
    Polk RTi A7s
    Polk CSi A6
    Polk FXi A6s
    Velodyne VDR10-BV
    Panamax M5100-PM
    Antec VERIS A/V Cooler x 2

Double HDMI was best as I could figure with my set up - kept my Onk AVR which is only HDMI 1.1 compliant out of the video path - my idea being best video would result from signal going through the least amout of equip - I alos have to say that while I give the Onk 804 high marks, it's HDMI "handshaking" is slow

Audio direct on 2nd HDMI - audio with out turning TV on

OK - to answer your question though......not that I know
    Onkyo TX-SR804 receiver
    Parasound 5250
    LSI 15's
    LSI C
    LSI FX's
    PSW1000 Sub
    OPPO 93
    Sony CDP-C315 CD
    Monster AC line cond
    40" Sony Bravia XBR6

Did the double HDMI, too. Pleased with results and I could convince myself that selecting HDMI 2 on the TV and watching the Oppo-to-TV signal is better than the HDMI 1 from the Onkyo ...
    Marantz AV7005
    Marantz MM7055
    Onkyo DX-755 CdP
    Oppo BDP-93
    Polk RTi A7s
    Polk CSi A6
    Polk FXi A6s
    Velodyne VDR10-BV
    Panamax M5100-PM

Do i understand you correctly?

You have your TV signal (Cable/Sat) running into the Oppo then out via HDMI to your display ?

That's really NOT GOOD for me as i may have to rerun cables, but if it results in improved video quality - - - - what I had planned for this afternoon may have to wait!

Getting to be back of my system isn't even remotely simple due to the wall unit it's in
    Onkyo TX-SR804 receiver
    Parasound 5250
    LSI 15's
    LSI C
    LSI FX's
    PSW1000 Sub
    OPPO 93
    Sony CDP-C315 CD
    Monster AC line cond
    40" Sony Bravia XBR6

Quote Originally Posted by Gulfstrings View Post
    Did the double HDMI, too. Pleased with results and I could convince myself that selecting HDMI 2 on the TV and watching the Oppo-to-TV signal is better than the HDMI 1 from the Onkyo ...
    Really???? I got to try this

BTW. I really like the analog out - I've done this two ways (for 2Ch CD & SACD) and liked the results of both:
    1) Oppo --> Amp
    2) Oppo --> Cary pre --> Amp
    I was very surprised at how well going from the Oppo to the amp sounds; enough to wonder how much better the BDP-95 sounds...
    HT
    Onkyo TX-NR1008 | Magnepan 1.7 | Polk LSiC | Polk VM20 | Polk DSW microPro 2000 | Parasound HCA-2205A | Oppo BDP-93

2-Ch
    Cary SLP 30 Tube Preamp | Polk LSi7 | Carver M1.5t | Audio-gd Digital Interface | W4S DAC-2 | MAC Mini | Denon DP300f & Pro-Ject Debut III TT's

Noop! Cable is not in the picture. From Oppo Manual, page2 18/52:

Oppo HDMI Out #1 goes directly to the HDMI In #2 on the TV.
    Oppo HDMI Out #2 goes directly to the HDMI (DVD) In on the Onkyo.
    HDMI Out from the Onkyo goes directly to the HDMI In #1 on the TV.

According to Oppo page 18, "In this way you can utilize the dedicated video processor available for HDMI #1 output, and allow your receiver which has no HDMI 1.4 inputs to work without any loss on the digital audio signals."

So, when watching a movie, I can select my TV's HDMI 1 (input) and see video from the video decoder in the player or select the TV's HDMI 2 (input) and see video from internal QDEO DE2750 video processor.

After reading my options on page 52, this is what I selected.
    Marantz AV7005
    Marantz MM7055
    Onkyo DX-755 CdP
    Oppo BDP-93
    Polk RTi A7s
    Polk CSi A6
    Polk FXi A6s
    Velodyne VDR10-BV
    Panamax M5100-PM

Sounds good, but there couldn't be much "loss" in the audio signals right? or is there?

Thanks Gulfstrings!!!
    Don

Thread Information