Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default How would the CS350 center compare to the newer CS2 II/CS20 center w/LS70's.

I picked up a CS10 for my setup at a good (Great)) price. It is a fine speaker but just isn't crisp. (A person can read reviews all day long but few tend to have experienced true comparisons.) The CS10 will be easy to sell and bumping up to a richer center is my final step for this go around. Is the CS350 much better than the newer CS2 II or CS20? Many still use and sure appreciate this speaker. The newer models can be had for a Benjamin....found a CS350 for 150.00....worth it? Thanks all. Scott

Member Sales Rating: (6)

The CS350-LS is an awesome speaker, plus it's a better timbre match for your LS70's.

I vote 350 all the way.

Depending on condition, box, manual, etc, they usually go for 80-150, but they perform at a higher level than their current monetary value would suggest.

btw, welcome to CP!
    2-Channel:

Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

HT:

Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

Not sure of the $150 price.
    There was one listed in local CL for $10.
    I missed it by 10 minutes. :(
    But it's really impossible to get another CS350 for that price.
    Check ebay and sometimes they appear for pretty low price.

If you get the CS350LS, upgrade the cap in the crossover. Very easy to do and the cap will cost under 10 dollars. It will add the crisp sound you're looking for.

I think that $100 is about the going rate for the CS350. If you have the hand for DIY and don't mind a "larger" center, I've got a gutted LS70 complete (w/out cabinet of course) that we can discuss a price on. It'd be a perfect timbre match if you don't mind doing the work.

Default Exactly the info I needed....

and I think I'll just settle in,enjoy what I have now,and keep an eye peeled for the CS350 as I'm getting some CL flake action from the seller?

DSkip, I would enjoy to take on a project like that, but for now,life is slammmed. I am handy and here in a while I hope to be doing some neat stuff.

Mystery and falcocry72....I assumed that that price was a little high but guessed the value was still there. I will be looking. (Missing that speak by minutes......"Now there is a heart breaker!")

Lego1, I've been reading about swapping caps around here? (I'm there!) I assure you I'm going to learn how to do that!

Gents, I sure am glad I stumbled into this forum as it is a nice place to do some learning.
    As I'm typing this,my son and I have a Godsmack concert on the big screen (Doing Stevie Ray well?!!!) the LS70's are singin' sweet....and life is good. Appreciate the help

Quote Originally Posted by bd1886 View Post
    Mystery and falcocry72....I assumed that that price was a little high but guessed the value was still there. I will be looking. (Missing that speak by minutes......"Now there is a heart breaker!")
    About CL, let the seller know that you want the speaker but budget is not that high and mention your budget is less than $100 or whatever you want to spend and willing to wait.
    Be nice and if he doesn't get any seller in few days/weeks, he'll contact you.
    I have bought few things in CL for much less than seller's FIRM price when I sent an offer that got denied initially.

Smile That really is good advise....

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    About CL, let the seller know that you want the speaker but budget is not that high and mention your budget is less than $100 or whatever you want to spend and willing to wait.
    Be nice and if he doesn't get any seller in few days/weeks, he'll contact you.
    I have bought few things in CL for much less than seller's FIRM price when I sent an offer that got denied initially.
    I just had an email from the craigslist gentleman and he'll take my fair offering of $100.00. I am so happy to find the exact match for my LS70's and I owe it to you guy's help! I'll be picking brains on the cap replacement and as an offering, my expertise is in extreme custom finishing. If you ever need help with easy direction, I can contribute there.

Much appreciated help. Scott

Was doing a bit of research and one gentleman said that a cap upgrade would not brighten up the high end due to the crossover not having a resistor? (Stock, it is a dead on match for the LS70's while being a tiny bit off for the LS90's.) Is this true? Not at all a big deal as I'm sure this is going to kick out such an improved experience. Picking it up this evening and will post back on it.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I just had an email from the craigslist gentleman and he'll take my fair offering of $100.00. I am so happy to find the exact match for my LS70's and I owe it to you guy's help!
    Congrats! That's a very nice center channel, and it's worth more than 100 bucks, IMO.

(Stock, it is a dead on match for the LS70's while being a tiny bit off for the LS90's.) Is this true? Not at all a big deal as I'm sure this is going to kick out such an improved experience. Picking it up this evening and will post back on it.
    I'd reserve judgement until you get your ears on it. Enjoy!
    2-Channel:

Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

HT:

Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

Muchas. Us here in Seattle are getting hit with an ice storm....bad. (May have to put off that pickup.) Just went out and "broke into" my van.....other Puget Sounders....the roads are a nightmare.

bd1886, are you located near Seattle? I agree, the roads are pretty bad. Are you talking about the CS350LS that is posted on craigslist in Bellevue? Definitely offer him $100. It's been on craigslist for a few months. I don't know about the tweeter becoming brighter after the cap mod on the CS350LS, but clarity has improved. For 5 dollars for the Dayton cap I used, I think it's worth it.

I did the sonicap upgrade to the my 350 when I did the 1c's. Brighter? ..not really. But way way way smoother and seamless sound in the front.
    Sda2.3 (Tweets, Spikes)
    Sda1C (Tweets, Sonicaps, Mills, Boards, Spikes, Rings, Dynamat)
    Rta11T (Tweets, Sonicaps, Mills, Spikes, Rings, Dynamat)
    5jr+ (Tweets, Spikes)
    CS350ls (Sonicap, Spikes)
    12" DXi x 2 (Dayton Plate. Slot ported Custom boxes)

Sunfire TGP3, Sunfire SIG 425x5, Oppo BDP-93, Belkin PF60, Sony PS3 Slim 320 gig, Technics SL-1360
    DH Labs Prostudio XLR-Toslink-Hdmi,Peps for the Oppo, amp, pre and subs)

Default Sorry...that little ol' ice storm

turned out to be a pretty big deal! No computer,TV,etc.... (If things weren't so dangerous and cold,it would have been a nice break from input!)

Was able to go after work and pick up the CS350 and just checked it out......WOW!!!! All of my front stage is truly one speaker now! (I find it so funny that something like this was on cl for so long Lego1? Yup....the Bellvue one.) Watched "The Patriot" so I could test out it's performance with dialog and a touch of "boom"......guys, I will trust your judgements from now on! I am NO audiophile but learned several very important lessons here.

1. Patience to hold off until you know the most intelligent upgrade path with your "vintage gear".
    2. Some true "audiophiles" opinions CAN be so "out of whack" due to being too immersed in layers of disjointed experiences and talking "from a stump".
    3. There is more than one flavor of excellent.
    4. Join the right forum.
    5. If you are the type of personality that....budget is a priority,vintage investigation should prove to be the way to go. (I listened to so much new stuff and it's "just" that.....new, and can be worth it for some....)

On that cap replacement. What do you do,what is the best source to do business with, any things for a total newb to be concerned with?

Time to settle in and enjoy. (A well deserved "bow from the waist" to you guys...Thanks!)

In my looking for the center I stumbled across a Klipsch KSF-C5 and figured there could be absolutely no downside @ $50.00! With all the hassle and drama of the storm, I decided to wait and do the comparison when I was fresh. Coming back from running errands, my son called and said he had it hooked up and thought it was definitely in the same league as the CS350. (It is!) Two reasons I grabbed it. I wanted to compare the Polk "warm" to the Klipsch "dispersed treble". The other is my best friend has a pair of Heresy's and his B-day is coming up. Well.......warm won by a margin. Highs are pronounced with detail too.

Probably the biggest confirmation is my wife has quit whining about only moderate volumes. She actually said "It's different now?" Is there a latent audiophile in her soul? (Possibly yet another sign that the end is near?)

Member Sales Rating: (45)

On that cap replacement. What do you do,what is the best source to do business with, any things for a total newb to be concerned with?
    The capacitor replacement on the CS350-LS center is about as easy and cost effective as it gets. It has (1) 5.8 uf capacitor and that is all. You can use a 5.6 uf and it will be well within spec.

Just placed my order last night, and when I get it installed if I remeber I will report back with some feedback and give my opinion if it is a worth while investment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sysem showcase 020 (1280x960).jpg‎
Views:	100
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	66233   Click image for larger version

Name:	esa5_6.jpg‎
Views:	63
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	66234  
    Romans 1:16

Thanks for letting me know. Really enjoying this center and looking forward to what you say about the upgraded caps!

Member Sales Rating: (45)

Well I just pulled the crossover and noticed there is also a 2 ohm resistor. Should have done that before I ordered the cap!

Thread Information