Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (37)

Default Should a Squeezebox Touch be able to...

be moved between home audio systems? I have a 2-channel system in my computer room for more critical listening and another system in the living room for listening while doing stuff around the house. Shouldn't I be able to move my Squeezebox Touch between the two systems? The problems I'm having are fairly inconsistent, which makes it all the more irritating. Sometimes when I move from one system to the other it works fine. Sometimes Pandora is there, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes my Favorites are there and sometimes there aren't. A couple of times it has re-loaded all of my Pandora stations so that I have each station twice.

Shouldn't I just be able to just unplug it from one system and hook it up to the other? Not the ideal situation, but shouldn't it work?
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I think ideally, they aren't meant to be moved around often. The Touch is always "on" even though the screen is blank when ("soft") powered off. I noticed when I powered mine down completely to hook up the new power supply, it took it awhile, and I had to stop/re-start LMS on my computer for it to find my library.

Next time you move it, stop/re-start LMS, then power up the Touch---see if that helps.

My duet controller sometimes has "hitches" where it acts like it's not getting a signal, when I know it is (it's only 15ft from my modem) and it'll just freeze; requiring a power down/power up cycle to get it working correctly. Although the whole time I'm doing this, the Touch continues to play without a hitch. The wireless signal strength to my Touch is 100% per LMS.
    Last edited by steveinaz; 01-20-2012 at 11:10 AM.

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Every time you unplug it, your asking it to re boot the whole system which may take some time. Best bet may to pick up another squeezebox for the other room. This was one of the limiting factors which made me go the Sonos route though be it more expensive, just took alot of the hassles out of going wireless.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Probably pulls a different IP address when you switch it. Has to re populate everything I'd imagine. I don't really know for sure.

I've thought about picking up a second receiver for this purpose. I know the remotes can connect to multiple receivers. Might be a worthwhile option.
    50" Panasonic Vierra TC-P50VT20 (w/5 pairs glasses)
    Pioneer Elite SC-37
    Polk Monitor 70's (2)
    Polk Monitor 40's (4)
    Polk Monitor CS2
    Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    Oppo BDP-93
    Squeezebox Duet
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Dish Network "The Hoppa"

I think you may have nailed it Steve. I've moved it twice tonight with the LSM running on my computer and I've had no issues.

At any rate, I'm buying the Classic in the FM for convenience and for fear of messing something up on the Touch by continually unplugging/restarting.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Every time you unplug it, your asking it to re boot the whole system which may take some time. Best bet may to pick up another squeezebox for the other room. This was one of the limiting factors which made me go the Sonos route though be it more expensive, just took alot of the hassles out of going wireless.
    +1 There's a reason the Sonos is a little more pricey...those problems just don't exist with the Sonos. It's own built in wi-fi system is what makes the difference. Picking up another Classic as you mentioned will hopefully take care of the problem you're having.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Problems? What problems? How is this a "limiting factor"? Nobody ever moves a CD player or a turntable from room to room... Put a SB receiver in every place you need one, and there's no problem at all. That said, I recently moved one from my basement that supplies an outdoor zone that's unused this time of year. Put it in my bedroom and had no problems at all. Looks like I'll be in the market for another one also, and that's the best solution.
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : MFW-15 (RIP): Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 : Adcom GFA-7500 : PS3 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Onkyo TX-SR575 : DIRECTV HR22 DVR : LG 50PQ30 HDTV
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic

Quote Originally Posted by mdaudioguy View Post
    Nobody ever moves a CD player or a turntable from room to room...
    That's a good point. I never looked at it from that perspective. I guess since it's such a small unit I consider it to be portable.

I've not ran into this problem. I pulled the SBT when I reinstalled my components, new receiver along with a new power supply for the Touch. I have mine connected over lan cable though, so not sure if it would be different depending on connection.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Thread Information