Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Adcom GFA 5802 or Emotiva XPA-2/3/5 for Polk RTI A7

Hello All,

This is my first post here. I am looking for advise for selecting the right Amp for my setup.
    Currently I have:
    Onkyo TX-NR809 Receiver powering Polk speakers:
    RTI A7
    CSI A6
    FXI A6
    I also have a powered subwoofer BIC F12.

My usage is 50/50 for music and HT. I really like the music of the front speakers and I listen to music mostly in 2 channels mode and that's why I think I could get even more out of my RTI's when using additional amp.

Right now I am trying to decide between used Adcom GFA 5802 from local seller or brand new Emotiva XPA-2/3/5.
    The price will be similar between Adcom and Emotiva XPA-3 (the cheapest one) and little more for 2 and 5.

Adcom is a powerful receiver and I feel it could handle my RTI's with ease. On the other hand Emotiva is brand new with warranty and could handle the entire front stage.

I don't know which one to pick. Please "help me obi wan kenobi you're my only hope" :-)

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Welcome to Club Polk! I'd say get the XPA 5 and be done with this particular upgrade. You can use this amp through all other upgrades to your system, and it has more than enough power to drive almost any speaker around including Polks LSI series. All of your speakers will have enough power to operate to their full potential now and in the future with this amp.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (49)

What Cathy said.. The 5802 is an awesome amp but with your set-up you will want the center channel powered as well so my vote is the XPA-5 the XPA-3 will work as well.

I would go with the XPA-3. Let the reciever handle the FXI-a6's.

I will be in the minority here, but I would use the money on something else - for instance, another subwoofer - and let the Onkyo handle the RTiAs. I would feel differently if you were talking about the LSis of course, or if your theater is in a stadium-sized room.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Jolida JD1502
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Polk LSiM 703s
    Center: Polk LSiM 703
    Subs: SVS PB 12 NSD X 2
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie

It seems most of you would go with new emotiva.
    The seller of Adcom seems to be very legit. Although the unit is quite old (2000), he claims the amp has been barely used with very little hours. Also I haven't seen the unit yet, but he said it's perfect condition 9/10. He will let it go for $650, which is probably a fair price.
    I have browsed the web for an answer and it seems either one would be good choice. Most of the reviews/forums I read claims Adcom might be little better for music where emotiva is more of HT amp.
    Is there anyone out there who had both brands?

Worst (best) case scenario I can buy Adcom first, see if I like it and sell it if I don't. Do you guys think this amp will keep it's value at $650 ?

Yes I have seen them sell for $900+

Member Sales Rating: (3)

The Adcom is 12 yrs. old and still kicking. Will be interesting to see how well the emotiva amps have held up when they are 12 yrs. old.

The adcom will best the Emotiva with my experience anyway. I have the 5802 and the XPA-3 I also have the RTiA9's and the 5802 pushes them much better the the Emo. With that said I like the XPA-3 for my HT rig.

I don't know how Adcoms sound but I would look for an amp that is known to be warm sounding.

How many channels does the Adcom have? I tried looking it up and couldn't find anything on it.

Like a few have said, the XPA-5 would be a pretty sweet deal, 200wpc x 5, brand new unit, if cost is an issue, the XPA-3 could be a better deal?

I've got the 807 version of your 809, I run an XPA-3 to push my RTiA9's and currently a CS2, soon to upgrade to the CSiA6. My receiver is handling a pair of M-70's and 40's. My plan is to get the XPA-2 to do the 9's and let the 3 handle the center and 70's.

I don't have any experience with Adcom but some of the folks here do, it looks like you might have the info you're looking for.
    Draggn' knee is exhilarating, 150mph wheel standers are pretty cool too

Home Theater-7.2
    Display-SamsungPN64D8000 | Receiver-Onkyo TX-NR807 | Source-OPPOBDP-103 | Amplifiers-Emotiva; XPA-2 x2, XPA-3 | Speakers: PolkAudio; mains-RTiA9, rears-RTiA9, center-CSiA6, surrounds-FXiA6 | Sub-Epik Empire x 2 | Interconnects-Emotiva

Cans
    Grado RS2i

2 Ch Rig
    First purchase will be; a pair of ? but I'd love a pair of SDA SRS

Let's see? A 12 year old amp?.or a new one?With a 5 year warranty?..As for let's see in 12 year's?..Get the XPA-3 and be done with it.I had a Carver back in the day and it started a humming sound after 1 year.

Geoff4rfc: Adcom 5802 is 2x 300W. Apparently it was top of the line 12 years ago.

Thank you all for your help, I am going to check the adcom out on Thursday. I am planning to bring my speakers with me. The guy I am buying it from mentioned he has emotiva as well, but I don't know which one, so I will make my decision when I am there.

I've owned both the Emotiva XPA-2 and the Adom 5503 ... sort of the inverse of the XPA-3 and Adcom 5802. The Adcom was far more listenable in my home. The XPA-2, while extremely powerful, was brittle and one-dimensional sounding.

As an aside: Emotiva and SVS remind me a lot of one another. I owned them both and really, really wanted to like each one of them. But in my home they both produced a rather cacophonous roar. I've taken far greater pleasure with lesser powered amplifiers (tubed, specifically) and smaller, sealed subwoofers. I'd be curious to try the SVS sealed designs.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Jolida JD1502
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Polk LSiM 703s
    Center: Polk LSiM 703
    Subs: SVS PB 12 NSD X 2
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie

Member Sales Rating: (24)

I currently own an Adcom 5802 and have owned Emo before.

The Emo is fine for HT duty, but for 2 channel didn't care for it. The Adcom is very nice for HT and 2 channel and had a warmer sound than the Emo. The Emo's I've owned have been the XPA1's XPA3 and some others.

The adcom is not that old by any means. Also you can send it to Big Sky Audio if you want it gone over and do mods to bring it to another level. However I would only do this for 2 channel usage.

Also if you like the Adcom and still want more power for the rest of the system the Adcom 5503 is a great amp as well.

the price for the Adcom is good. If he has the original box and the amp is not dinged up it would be a great price as they sell on the Gon for around 700-900 depending on condition.
    2 Channel-
    Soundlab M3PX
    BAT VK-31
    Wyred SX1000 monos
    Esoteric DV50
    Dynavector p75 modded phono stage
    Rega P25 modded-Denon 103R Cart
    Squeezebox Touch
    Modded Music Hall DAC Burson op amps
    Richard Grey 600S
    MIT Shotgun IC's and SC

Thread Information