I'm going to take the dive and do a rebuild. I have had a pair of 5jrs kicking around for a month or two that I essentially got for free with another purchase. I've read several threads here on this, and have put together the following list:
1) Remove vinyl and replace with real wood veneer.
2) Crossover rebuild - get help.
3) Upgrade the speaker posts.
4) Dynamat the drivers (use Dynamat Extreme).
5) Sonic Barrier the interior of the cabinet.
6) Install RDO194s.
7) Install new seals?
8) JB Weld the drivers.
9) Upgrade the wood screws to T-nuts or rings or something.
I'd certainly like to hear if I'm missing anything. Think I'm going to ask around to have someone else do the crossovers, feel free to PM me with any recommendations here. I'm a fairly decent amateur woodworker, so that part I can handle. The electronics are new to me.
Tonight I disassembled the speakers and removed the vinyl. I cleaned the inside of the cabinets, there wasn't much to do. I've seen some posts here with glue hell, mine weren't too bad. I'll order some parts in the next few days, and hopefully get a few evenings next week to start working on the veneer (I usually make my own, 3/16" thick resawn from lumber).
A few pics of the process so far. Wish me luck!