Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 51
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,059

    Default Vinyl my brothers....VINYL

    I had a revelation this morning. First I'll start with saying that I'm not a vinyl snob. I actually listen to digital more than I do vinyl. I'm 26, this is normal. But that may change. This morning I was listening to a new record which is just effing phenomenal (George Benson - Breezin'), and I realized that vinyl absolutely sounds better. Sure digital is technically more accurate but this morning's listening session really made me a believer. I'm officially in the vinyl camp. My SDA 2BTL's were articulating the bass guitar like I've never heard. I don't mind the snap, crackle, pop either. I have the album Head Hunters by Herbie Hancock that is absolutely beat to **** but still sounds incredible.

    I'm thinking the goal of the new system I'm building will be for vinyl playback. It is neither convenient, or easy, to take good care of an analog system but what matters is that I can't get enough of the music when it's spinning on a turntable!

    To end with a good story, I was at my brothers tonight and saw a stack of records that he ended up taking when his roomate moved out and got married. There had to be at least 20 in the stack. I looked them over and saw some gems. Long story short, on my way out he said "take em." Tomorrow is gonna be a good day!

    Any thoughts on what to replace my Technics SLD2 with?

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (22)

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas
    Posts
    5,792

    Default

    Whats your Budget? There is so much more to Vinyl than just the TT. Cart, SUT, Phono stage and correct cart and tone arm alignment.

    I had a friend over last weekend who is a pure digitial guy. He came over to check out my digital setup which I am quiet happy with and it sounds great. I had not spun any vinyl since getting it last December.

    He asked if I had compared my music server to my vinyl rig and I had not. My reference album is Poco's Blue and Grey and finally found the CD version so we listened to both going back in forth several times but it only took one listening session to know vinyl sounded so much better.

    I do find myself listening to more digital music these days but nothing does it for me like my vinyl rig.

    Good luck on your search and do lots of research and you shall be rewarded.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

    Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (5)

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Richardson, TX.
    Posts
    1,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thsmith View Post
    Whats your Budget? There is so much more to Vinyl than just the TT. Cart, SUT, Phono stage and correct cart and tone arm alignment.

    I had a friend over last weekend who is a pure digitial guy. He came over to check out my digital setup which I am quiet happy with and it sounds great. I had not spun any vinyl since getting it last December.

    He asked if I had compared my music server to my vinyl rig and I had not. My reference album is Poco's Blue and Grey and finally found the CD version so we listened to both going back in forth several times but it only took one listening session to know vinyl sounded so much better.

    I do find myself listening to more digital music these days but nothing does it for me like my vinyl rig.

    Good luck on your search and do lots of research and you shall be rewarded.
    And by SUT, Tracy means step up transformer, which you need only if you want to plug a low output moving coil cartridge into a phono preamp designed for high output moving magnet cartridges. I prefer phono preamps designed for the cartridge you'll be using, but that's a separate discussion. Otherwise, like Tracy asked; what's your budget? You can spend a lot or a little on an analog front end, and there's a number of good values out there.
    Are you part of the dirty digital peasants or a member of the great Analog Master Race?

    SDA Recommended Playlist https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FZCRkdxYXVNanc

    Open for editing.

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,919

    Default

    Get a Rega, Or find a hopped up Technics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Smith View Post
    WOW!

    That's like working your way through Katie Perry in order to get to Rosie O'Donnell.

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    16,018

    Default

    I would first make sure you have tubes in the mix. Tubes and vinyl are like peanut butter and jelly.

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe08867 View Post
    Get a Rega, Or find a hopped up Technics.
    I'm going to assume that Joe means the Technics SL-1200MK2 (or variants thereof), in which case I agree. I have one, and it isn't even a souped-up version. It is stock, except that I replaced the captive cord with a custom made RCA connector box on the bottom using parts from partsexpress. In addition, the box has a third RCA connector that allows me to choose whether to use the "ground mod" (bridge the tonearm ground wire to audio grounds) or run a separate wire. I'm very happy with it, and think it is a great turntable. I use it with a Denon DL-110 cartridge and a Cambridge Azur 640p preamp, and it sounds fantastic.

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeefJerky View Post
    I'm going to assume that Joe means the Technics SL-1200MK2 (or variants thereof), in which case I agree. I have one, and it isn't even a souped-up version. It is stock, except that I replaced the captive cord with a custom made RCA connector box on the bottom using parts from partsexpress. In addition, the box has a third RCA connector that allows me to choose whether to use the "ground mod" (bridge the tonearm ground wire to audio grounds) or run a separate wire. I'm very happy with it, and think it is a great turntable. I use it with a Denon DL-110 cartridge and a Cambridge Azur 640p preamp, and it sounds fantastic.
    Man, now that I think about it, this SLD2 sounds freaking sweet. I wonder how much better the 1200mk2 sounds. They are always for sale on my local craigslist from $300-$500. I do like the idea of not having to worry about a belt.

    I guess my price range would be around the $200-$300 range.

    I have some Santana spinning now, sheesh it sounds good.

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (12)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    http://audiomilitia.proboards.com
    Posts
    12,376

    Default

    Once you down the Dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.


    "Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    Once you down the Dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.
    DUDE! That Yamaha PX-3 looks like a beast!

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In A Van Down By The River
    Posts
    21,185

    Default

    Think beyond Technics or stay with what you have. The 1200 won't sound that much better.

    H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

    Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Think beyond Technics or stay with what you have. The 1200 won't sound that much better.

    H9
    Have any recommendations in my price range Brock?

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (36)

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,199

    Default

    Pro-ject is a good brand to start your audio journey. Their tables arrive pre-setup and can be upgraded as your experience and tastes mature. The line up spans the very affordable to the high end.

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by audiocr381ve View Post
    Man, now that I think about it, this SLD2 sounds freaking sweet. I wonder how much better the 1200mk2 sounds. They are always for sale on my local craigslist from $300-$500. I do like the idea of not having to worry about a belt.

    I guess my price range would be around the $200-$300 range.

    I have some Santana spinning now, sheesh it sounds good.
    Well, you do have to be careful with used 1200's since they are sometimes treated very roughly. Some may be home used, but many are used in a DJ environment. Now, that's not to say that all DJ's abuse their equipment or anything, but you'll want to inspect it before you purchase. Some simply use it to play records and are careful with it, while others use it for scratching and treat it poorly. Here are a few things to look for in used ones should you go this route:
    1) Tonearm bearings
    1a) move the tonearm about and watch for any play and listen for clicking sounds - there should be no play and no clicking sounds - if there are, it has been abused, so don't bother with it unless you want to change the tonearm
    1b) set antiskate to zero and balance the tonearm so it floats freely, then move it to the center of the record
    1bI) if it flies back, it's damaged - again don't bother with it unless you plan on changing the tonearm
    1bII) If it slowly goes back to the outer part of the record or simply stays at the inner part, that is good
    1bIIA) Now gently flick it back and forth a few times - it should move absolutely smoothly - if it stops or moves unevenly, it's damaged
    2) Tonearm height adjustment - make sure you can unlock it and move it freely
    3) The direct drive motor system
    3a) Turn it on and start it from a stop trying both speeds - it should come up to speed and lock very quickly (~0.7s at 33rpm)
    3b) While running, try slowing the platter down with your hand - once you let go it should quickly lock to its proper speed again.
    3c) Make sure the braking works when you hit the button to stop it - as long as you can see it working, don't worry too much about how accurately or quickly it stops since it can easily be adjusted
    4) The captive RCA cord - they are damaged easily, and many will replace them anyway

    The above four are the primary things to ensure functionality and are critical. I will list a couple more you can look at depending on how much you care.
    5) Pitch control - these are quite commonly worn out or gummed up. If it is of concern to you, make sure it works smoothly. If not, simply make sure when it is locked in the center position that the green light is on, and the platter is at the proper speed.
    6) 45rpm adapter - commonly missing, but can be replaced
    7) Neon platter speed light (under the power switch) - it's not uncommon for those to be out
    8) Pop-up light - very common to be out, but probably won't matter at all for home use

    It may sound like a lot, but it's really not. Also the first four can really apply to nearly any turntable you choose to buy used. Also, decide how much the cosmetic condition matters to you. Even if it is taken care of, it probably has scrapes and scratches on the body and the dust cover. You can probably negotiate the price down further if you are willing to live with cosmetic defects or are willing to fix them yourself.

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SolidSqual View Post
    Pro-ject is a good brand to start your audio journey. Their tables arrive pre-setup and can be upgraded as your experience and tastes mature. The line up spans the very affordable to the high end.
    Whoa, never even heard of them. The Genie looks sick. http://www.project-audio.com/main.ph...tables&lang=en

    What would be a good place to start in their lineup?

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeefJerky View Post
    Well, you do have to be careful with used 1200's since they are sometimes treated very roughly. Some may be home used, but many are used in a DJ environment. Now, that's not to say that all DJ's abuse their equipment or anything, but you'll want to inspect it before you purchase. Some simply use it to play records and are careful with it, while others use it for scratching and treat it poorly. Here are a few things to look for in used ones should you go this route:
    1) Tonearm bearings
    1a) move the tonearm about and watch for any play and listen for clicking sounds - there should be no play and no clicking sounds - if there are, it has been abused, so don't bother with it unless you want to change the tonearm
    1b) set antiskate to zero and balance the tonearm so it floats freely, then move it to the center of the record
    1bI) if it flies back, it's damaged - again don't bother with it unless you plan on changing the tonearm
    1bII) If it slowly goes back to the outer part of the record or simply stays at the inner part, that is good
    1bIIA) Now gently flick it back and forth a few times - it should move absolutely smoothly - if it stops or moves unevenly, it's damaged
    2) Tonearm height adjustment - make sure you can unlock it and move it freely
    3) The direct drive motor system
    3a) Turn it on and start it from a stop trying both speeds - it should come up to speed and lock very quickly (~0.7s at 33rpm)
    3b) While running, try slowing the platter down with your hand - once you let go it should quickly lock to its proper speed again.
    3c) Make sure the braking works when you hit the button to stop it - as long as you can see it working, don't worry too much about how accurately or quickly it stops since it can easily be adjusted
    4) The captive RCA cord - they are damaged easily, and many will replace them anyway

    The above four are the primary things to ensure functionality and are critical. I will list a couple more you can look at depending on how much you care.
    5) Pitch control - these are quite commonly worn out or gummed up. If it is of concern to you, make sure it works smoothly. If not, simply make sure when it is locked in the center position that the green light is on, and the platter is at the proper speed.
    6) 45rpm adapter - commonly missing, but can be replaced
    7) Neon platter speed light (under the power switch) - it's not uncommon for those to be out
    8) Pop-up light - very common to be out, but probably won't matter at all for home use

    It may sound like a lot, but it's really not. Also the first four can really apply to nearly any turntable you choose to buy used. Also, decide how much the cosmetic condition matters to you. Even if it is taken care of, it probably has scrapes and scratches on the body and the dust cover. You can probably negotiate the price down further if you are willing to live with cosmetic defects or are willing to fix them yourself.
    Excellent advice. I may just end up buying new since these damn things are so delicate.

  16. #16

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In A Van Down By The River
    Posts
    21,185

    Default

    $200-300, nope. You'd just be pissing in the wind. Save more and when you hit the $700-$1K mark then you'll have something to be proud of.

    H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

    Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

  17. #17

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    $200-300, nope. You'd just be pissing in the wind. Save more and when you hit the $700-$1K mark then you'll have something to be proud of.

    H9
    What about those Pro-ject tables? I'm leaning towards buying a new table.

  18. #18

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by audiocr381ve View Post
    Excellent advice. I may just end up buying new since these damn things are so delicate.
    They're really not - well at least the 1200's that I'm talking about. They are actually extremely well built and durable turntables, much more so than just about any other, including the Pro-ject ones that are mentioned. When I say damage from abuse, I mean serious abuse. I'm talking things such as dropping the turntable or dropping things on the turntable, or outright yanking and smashing the arm about. It takes a sincere effort to damage a 1200.

  19. #19

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In A Van Down By The River
    Posts
    21,185

    Default

    Except durable doesn't equal great sound quality. A Pro-ject or Music Hall, even the most basic, will run circles around the SL1200. It was a decent table in the 90's for DJ'ing, that's it. They HAD to be durable, that doesn't relate to it being a stellar sounding unit, which it isnt compared to the many others today and even of that era. The thing is the TT's of that era that were much better sounding than the SL1200 are now more affordable than ever and they will smoke the SL1200.

    H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

    Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

  20. #20

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In A Van Down By The River
    Posts
    21,185

    Default

    That said, you could do a lot worse than a nicely maintained SL1200, I just get tired of people saying it's as good as current offerings, most times it simply isn't.

    H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

    Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

  21. #21

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Except durable doesn't equal great sound quality. A Pro-ject or Music Hall, even the most basic, will run circles around the SL1200. It was a decent table in the 90's for DJ'ing, that's it. They HAD to be durable, that doesn't relate to it being a stellar sounding unit, which it isnt compared to the many others today and even of that era. The thing is the TT's of that era that were much better sounding than the SL1200 are now more affordable than ever and they will smoke the SL1200.

    H9
    Honestly, I wonder whether you've actually heard a properly setup 1200 with a good cartridge and preamp. I've listened to both Pro-ject's and Music Halls, and I honestly don't that hear much of a difference in sound quality. Sorry.

  22. #22

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In A Van Down By The River
    Posts
    21,185

    Default

    Like I said, not bad but in this case the OP would be making a lateral move.

    H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

    Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

  23. #23

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    16,217

    Default

    Used Rega RP-1? If you're gonna go budget, go Rega.

    Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

  24. #24

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In A Van Down By The River
    Posts
    21,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeefJerky View Post
    Honestly, I wonder whether you've actually heard a properly setup 1200 with a good cartridge and preamp. I've listened to both Pro-ject's and Music Halls, and I honestly don't that hear much of a difference in sound quality. Sorry.
    Not much to the set-up. You make it sound like it's a complicated machine, it's not. I've owned and heard several with very good cartridges. One could do worse, but there's better out there and you don't have to pay the mark-up associated with the exaggerated legend that is the SL1200. It only became popular because Dj's in the 90's used them as standard equipment. What the Dj's coveted them for has nothing to do with what an audiophile looks for. They also used pro-amps, pro speakers and mixing boards. I don't see audiophiles clamoring to use pro-amps or pro-speakers.

    H9
    Last edited by heiney9; 02-03-2012 at 02:53 PM.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

    Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

  25. #25

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Like I said, not bad but in this case the OP would be making a lateral move.

    H9
    I don't think it would be a large improvement, but I wouldn't call it lateral either. The tonearm on the 1200MK2's are much better than the D2's. It also has an upgraded motor assembly that is more stable, as well as a better plinth that is less susceptible to outside interference.

  26. #26

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,059

    Default

    Maybe I should stick with what I have and buy a decent cart for it? I have a Shure cart on their now and if I had one complaint it would be the highs aren't as extended as I'd like them to be. Everything else is just superb. Even this cheap table paired with my Marantz 1150 integrated beats out of lot of the gear I've been through.

  27. #27

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by audiocr381ve View Post
    Maybe I should stick with what I have and buy a decent cart for it? I have a Shure cart on their now and if I had one complaint it would be the highs aren't as extended as I'd like them to be. Everything else is just superb. Even this cheap table paired with my Marantz 1150 integrated beats out of lot of the gear I've been through.
    That wouldn't be a bad idea. A good cartridge and preamp can make a world of difference. I like my Denon DL-110; it is on the warm side, but is in no way lacking extension in the highs.

  28. #28

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In A Van Down By The River
    Posts
    21,185

    Default

    Let me put it this way and this is only my opinion;

    If he didn;t have a TT and wanted to get his feet wet and he found an SL1200 for a decent price and in good shape, I'd say go for it. But since that's not the case, I can't recommend it.

    H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

    Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

  29. #29

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    16,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    You'd just be pissing in the wind.
    H9
    .....something wrong with that. Been pissing in the wind my whole life.....kinda grown acustomed to the taste too.

    Sometimes Brock, it's best to let one find out for themselves.

  30. #30

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Let me put it this way and this is only my opinion;

    If he didn;t have a TT and wanted to get his feet wet and he found an SL1200 for a decent price and in good shape, I'd say go for it. But since that's not the case, I can't recommend it.

    H9
    That's cool. I welcome different opinions, and understand your point of view as well. Also, while his turntable may not quite be up to par with the 1200 (IMO), it is certainly a far cry from some of the ultra-low-quality pieces of crap that have been churned out over the years. This includes any turntable you could buy new from a big chain store. I've seen what Fry's and Best Buy carry, and it's hard not to hang my head in shame when I see them.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Vinyl again!
    By audiobliss in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-31-2007, 11:52 AM
  2. The Vinyl Sale of Vinyl Sales part DOS(2)
    By BaggedLancer in forum For Sale (FS) Classifieds
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: 10-21-2007, 06:19 AM
  3. The Vinyl Sale of Vinyl Sales
    By BaggedLancer in forum For Sale (FS) Classifieds
    Replies: 135
    Last Post: 10-21-2007, 06:18 AM
  4. FS: More Vinyl #2!
    By dkg999 in forum For Sale (FS) Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2006, 01:03 PM
  5. FS: More Vinyl!
    By dkg999 in forum For Sale (FS) Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2006, 12:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts