Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Default Listening to Music together!

Well,

My daughter has this new Mac laptop (actually it's a few months old now-a B-day present), that she has her music on and she also listens to Spotify (I know what that is but have never used it). So I come down and I see her plugging the laptop into a cheap RCA console I have in a small sitting room that powers a couple of old Db Plus 440 bookshelves (used to be owned by Energy, I believe). And I figure she's about to "clip" them! So I take her into the HT room and hook up her laptop to the Onkyo TX-SR 805 (my little beastie HT AVR) and the Polk M-70 and B.A. 300 watt sub (only ran in 2.1--there's a CS2 and two M-30s in there as well).

I normally do not listen to much music on this system. It's the Blu-ray spot and PS3, etc. But we plugged her in, fired up the Onkyo and logged on to her Spotify. She then spent the next couple of hours sharing her play lists of various songs, many of which I'd never heard of (she's 14 and I recently showed her how to play a few guitar chords after which she promptly logged on to youtube and taught herself how to play over a half dozen songs).

I have to admit she has "pretty good" taste! And we had a great time together sitting and sharing and listening to tunes!

Oh, one more thing. Those Polk M-70s on the Onkyo with the sub. Heck of a music system for its price (sure they're not my LSis or SDAs but they have "no right sounding that good on an AVR". I still prefer them to the entry Rti towers). Kudos to Polk for "still" bringing music to the people at these prices!!

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 02-04-2012 at 09:38 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Member Sales Rating: (2)

That's awesome. My daughter has excellent taste in music, too! IMO! She's 17 in a few days. We share a lot of music. Btw, she thinks that most of her friends listen to crap! So what did your daughter introduce you to?
    Last edited by mdaudioguy; 02-04-2012 at 09:39 PM.
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : MFW-15 (RIP): Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 : Adcom GFA-7500 : PS3 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Onkyo TX-SR575 : DIRECTV HR22 DVR : LG 50PQ30 HDTV
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Cool story, sounds like you've taught your daughter well...

Attachment 65886
    "Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God." ~ Johnny Cash

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Well, one group I took to immediately was AWOLNATION among others.

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Member Sales Rating: (0)

While it doesn't happen often, my GF will sometimes tell me to turn it up louder then i'll normally play it. She has some great taste to as we share similar music choices. It's nice to enjoy some music together once i'm a while.

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Well, one group I took to immediately was AWOLNATION among others.

cnh
    I've only heard "Sail". Great song!

The wife and I always listen together, we have pretty much the same tastes. We also sing to each other, I know, sounds cheesey eh, but we enjoy it. A bottle of vino, some cheese and music.....this also lends itself into listening positions in the other thread.

Not cheesey at all. Awesome to connect with someone like that. Sounds like you picked a good one. My wife and I don't have super similar tastes, but when we do connect on a song or artist...pretty sweet!
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Oppo BDP-105; Amps: Anthem Integrated 225; PS Audio GCPH Speakers: Polk - LSi15's (sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; B&K Reference 200.2; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

My 20 yr. old daughter doesn't care too much for the recent stuff. Strangely, she comes over and spins Dean Martin, Ella, Sinatra, Bobby Darin, Julie London or any of the good older ones.

To round out a date evening last night, when we got back to the house, I poured a couple of snifters of Eagle Rare 17, neat, and my wife and I stretched out and listened through all of Eva Cassidy's "Live at Blues Alley," which I'd picked up for the occasion. It was sublime -- if you haven't listened to her, the vocals are out of this world. Effortless, raw, passionate, sublime.

Probably once a month, I try to include an album as part of a date. It really is beautiful to listen through a great piece of music start-to-finish together. Highly recommended.
    5.1 theater - Pioneer SC-07, Mirage OMD-CC center, 4 x Mirage Omnisats, Boston Acoustics VPS-210 sub
    2.1 living room - NAD 7400 integrated, 2 x Platinum Audio Duos, MIT Terminator4 cables
    2.1 bedroom- Arcam Solo, 2 x Mirage OMD-5's
    FOR SALE - Genesis Servo-10 sub, Genesis Servo-12 amp; Martin Logan Dynamo sub; Mirage MM-6 sub; Harman Kardon DPR-1001 7.1 receiver

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    The wife and I always listen together, we have pretty much the same tastes. We also sing to each other, I know, sounds cheesey eh, but we enjoy it. A bottle of vino, some cheese and music.....this also lends itself into listening positions in the other thread.
    haha

Awesome thread, WTG guys!!
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

That's pretty much the story of my 18 yr old daughter and I. We share our Itunes playlists, she's showed me some new stuff I like, and she's downloaded some of my older stuff.

As far as concerts, I've taken her to see The Killers and The Neon Trees. I liked both of them ( I ended up buying a Killers concert dvd for myself), and when she found out the wife and I were going to see Roger Daltrey she demanded we take her too (thanks to CSI, she's likes The Who).
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.

Damn! I have to listen to music with Old guys who drink my beer.
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything

When my boys were growing up I always played music,some they liked some not so much.Now they are both in there 30s and come over and ask can borrow your Merl Haggard or David alen Coe or some of your old stuff dad.This just does my heart good they were listening.

Thread Information