Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default Made My own speaker Cables

I used some how-tos and made my own cables. I got so tired of ugly looking wires running behind my tv stand and out to my speakers, and what made matters worse was that I bi-amp my mains. So i upgraded. I purchased some 12/4 stranded wire, techflex, heat shrink, cable pants, and some new nanner plugs. I dunno if the sound improved over the 12 awg i was using before but these look so much more professional, the look alone was worth the effort.

I used the Namakachi plugs from ebay and I was very impressed with the quality for the price. The clamp down tight on the wire and dont let go and they lock into the speakers very nicely too. They also look pretty slick IMO. I like them alot more then the monoprice ones i had. I took heat shrink and covered the set screws so that they wont back out. I figure it cant hurt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG9120-L.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	66003

Name:	IMG9119-L.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	66004

Name:	IMG9118-L.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	66005

Name:	IMG9114-XL.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	66006
    HT Rig Sharp LC-52LE810|Panasonic BDP210|Pioneer Elite VSX-32|Polk Audio RTiA5 Cherry|Polk Audio CsiA6 Cherry|Polk Audio T-15|DSW Pro 600, Micro Pro4000 powered with a Crown XLS1000

2Channel Rig Polk Audio LSi9 Cherry| Carver C-1|Carver M1.0t|Dual 1257|Acer A500|Pioneer SW8-MKII X2

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Nice.

Really nice!

Nice job, and good call on the Nakamichi plugs. I prefer them over the Monoprice too. If I may make one suggestion, it would be to put some heat-shrink around the base of the banana plugs to seal them to the rest of the cable, like this:

The more air and moisture you can keep away from the copper, the longer it will last before it corrodes.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Those look very nice, excellent job!!
    "Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God." ~ Johnny Cash

Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    The more air and moisture you can keep away from the copper, the longer it will last before it corrodes.
    Yup or if your handy you could always tin the ends of the wire like this:

Funny what a little techflex and a bit of heatshrink can do. Those are some handsome cables! Great job :)

Just out of curiosity, where did you get your wire? Mine is Canare 4x14AWG and I'm very happy with it, especially for the price.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Nice workmanship!

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

What kind of wire is that? Is that speaker wire or house wire? Those other companies that sell wire that is 12/4 and the like, what are they selling as speaker wire? I've never seen "speaker wire" come as 12/4 yet I see people buying this wire and talking about how good it is.

Quote Originally Posted by rebuy View Post
    What kind of wire is that? Is that speaker wire or house wire? Those other companies that sell wire that is 12/4 and the like, what are they selling as speaker wire? I've never seen "speaker wire" come as 12/4 yet I see people buying this wire and talking about how good it is.
    14/4 is normally in wall rated wire. If your a Monoprice guy they sell it. The 14/4 it stands for 4 strand 14 guage. Normally it also is listed as CL2 (which lets you know its certified for use in walls)

Personally I got mine (Audioquest FLX 14/4 CL2) from a local hi-fi store and 3 11 foot cables were under 50 bucks.

Here is the Monoprice version. You can also use the Canare wire as well that many (myself included) would recommend over the monoprice stuff all day.

Yes I understand some of what you are saying but to me, it looks like this is just generic house wire that people are using for speaker wire some of it rated for in wall some not. It looks like wire you can go to Home Depot and buy and make your own speaker wire. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by rebuy View Post
    Yes I understand some of what you are saying but to me, it looks like this is just generic house wire that people are using for speaker wire some of it rated for in wall some not. It looks like wire you can go to Home Depot and buy and make your own speaker wire. Am I wrong?
    Can you link to a product your talking about? What I linked to above is speaker wire, not wiring for electrical, thought it may look similar.

There are more than enough threads here and on AVSFORUM about making your own speaker wire and what parts you need that you should find what your looking for if you do a search for it.

Considering I do a lot of reading here and observe things carefully, it still appears to be wiring from major cable makers and maybe not made specifically for speakers until the middle man buys them, alters them and calls it speaker wire. Sure some of it looks similar and probably performs the same way. I usually buy "speaker wire" cause it is what it is, on the other hand, right size, right materials, might do the same thing in a different configuration, just not called the same thing.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Cables look Great!

How do they sound?
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

I did alot of research reading reviews and tests done on cables. and came to the conclusion, that generic high strand count power cable from home depot will fit my needs. In my budget range I dont think there is much of a difference between 12awg speaker wire and 12 awg generic stranded cable. I have been using the same stuff for a few years just not in a sleeve. It sounds the same as my previous cable. The main reason I did this was for the simple clean look and I needed to replace my worn monoprice nanner clips. They had lost tension and would wobble around in the terminals.
    HT Rig Sharp LC-52LE810|Panasonic BDP210|Pioneer Elite VSX-32|Polk Audio RTiA5 Cherry|Polk Audio CsiA6 Cherry|Polk Audio T-15|DSW Pro 600, Micro Pro4000 powered with a Crown XLS1000

2Channel Rig Polk Audio LSi9 Cherry| Carver C-1|Carver M1.0t|Dual 1257|Acer A500|Pioneer SW8-MKII X2

BTW thanks for all the compliments. I really enjoyed doing it

Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Nice job, and good call on the Nakamichi plugs. I prefer them over the Monoprice too. If I may make one suggestion, it would be to put some heat-shrink around the base of the banana plugs to seal them to the rest of the cable, like this:

I like the way that looks I may end up doing that

Great work, I need to replace my wires shortly

nice job, beautiful construction, way better than mine
    HT/2channel:
    AVR: Yamaha RX-V 765
    Fronts: Polk RTiA3
    sub: Polk PSW110(will add 2x PSW 505)
    Center: CS13
    surrounds:Polk RTi4
    TV: samsung 40
    The real 2 Channel(work in progress):
    Pre:HK 3490
    Amp:Parasound 1200 MK II
    Sub:RBH 1010-SEP
    Speakers: YTD
    most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)

ordered my heatshrink, techflex and pants, see if i can dress mine up anywhere close to being as nice as yours
    HT/2channel:
    most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)

From what I understand, the new theory is that it is best to use small gauge wire (~28awg) that are individually insulated (like magnet wire), bundle a lot of them together. This prevents cross signal jumping from wire to wire and also prevents phasing issues that large gauge has. I have ordered a spool of 30AWG magnet wire (3200ft/one lb spool) to try it out and see if that's true.

Morrow Audio cables follow this philosophy and sounds great. The more expensive cables have more strands, the cheapest cable has only 12 strands and the most expensive cable has 144 strands. That's going to be a LOT of wire stripping and use 2880 ft of cable if I use 144 strands. Will let you know when I am finished with this...

Quote Originally Posted by jon s View Post
    From what I understand, the new theory is that it is best to use small gauge wire (~28awg) that are individually insulated (like magnet wire), bundle a lot of them together. This prevents cross signal jumping from wire to wire and also prevents phasing issues that large gauge has. I have ordered a spool of 30AWG magnet wire (3200ft/one lb spool) to try it out and see if that's true.

Morrow Audio cables follow this philosophy and sounds great. The more expensive cables have more strands, the cheapest cable has only 12 strands and the most expensive cable has 144 strands. That's going to be a LOT of wire stripping and use 2880 ft of cable if I use 144 strands. Will let you know when I am finished with this...
    Whew, sounds like a serious build.

You'll have to track the progress on that one

Member Sales Rating: (58)

They look fantastic, great work.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by jon s View Post

from what i've heard CAT 5 wire works the best
    HT/2channel:

this is just wonderful

nice job

keep-up

Thanks guys. They are still holding up. The Nanners are still locking nicely even after numerous unplugs. Best part of them IMO is the look. They look so nice behind the speakers

Wires look great!

I'm too lazy, so I let Frank @ Signal build mine.
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : Oppo BDP-103 : Roku 3 : Denon AVR-2808Ci : Definitive Tech ProMonitor 800 R&L : ProCenter 1000 : Polk FXi 3 Surrounds : Twin Velodyne SPL 10 Series II's :

2Ch:
    Polk LSi 9's : Parasound HCA 1500A : Pro-Ject Debut Carbon : Cambridge 640P Phono Stage : Musical Fidelity M1 S DAC : APC H15 : MacBook Pro Retina :

Those look awesome, way better than my attempt. I even tried getting fancy with homemade jumpers which didn't last too long, just went back to using 12awg wire for my jumpers. Heres a few shots of my measley effort.

Draggn' knee is exhilarating, 150mph wheel standers are pretty cool too

Home Theater-7.2
    Display-SamsungPN64D8000 | Receiver-Onkyo TX-NR807 | Source-OPPOBDP-103 | Amplifiers-Emotiva; XPA-2 x2, XPA-3 | Speakers: PolkAudio; mains-RTiA9, rears-RTiA9, center-CSiA6, surrounds-FXiA6 | Sub-Epik Empire x 2 | Interconnects-Emotiva

Cans
    Grado RS2i

2 Ch Rig
    First purchase will be; a pair of ? but I'd love a pair of SDA SRS

Those look Good IMO

Thread Information