Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Van Halen back Again,

New album on 2-7, anybody gonna check it out,
    Not an Audiophile, just a dude who loves music, and decent gear to hear it with.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Ugh. I love the first two iterations of VH, but I think they peaked some time ago. The world has changed. I'll be pleasantly surprised if the new album is considered anything better than just good.

They did get some good press on their nostalgic live performance, which might make for an entertaining concert tour, provided none of the old-timers hurt themselves.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-...mall-nyc-club/

The real bizarre question is, why is Kool & the Gang opening for them??

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/167...ur-dates.jhtml
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : MFW-15 (RIP): Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 : Adcom GFA-7500 : PS3 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Onkyo TX-SR575 : DIRECTV HR22 DVR : LG 50PQ30 HDTV
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic

I cant wait, I wonder how the absence of Michael Anthony, will effect the songs? I'am sure Wolfgang is up to the challenge as far as playing bass goes, but Anthony's harmonies will be missed I'am sure. I myself only liked Roth era VH so I'am looking forward to this release and will probably go to the Chicago show. I think I will dig out my copy of Fair Warning, and the rest of thier stuff and start getting ready.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by mdaudioguy View Post
    The real bizarre question is, why is Kool & the Gang opening for them??
    Because KC & the Sunshine Band was unavailable ?

Been a fan of Eddie Van Halen for quite a while, hopefully the Feb album will do him proud.

I liked Sammy...........pre VH only. I didn't like the 2 together, at all. I seen Hagar in 1978, opening up for Boston. I was like 3 rows back in the center. That was my 1st concert at the ripe age of 15. Anyways, never got a chance to see VH. Being a guitar player, I would go and see them now. Probably wouldn't buy any of their music though.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbigbluelight View Post
    Because KC & the Sunshine Band was unavailable ?
    However, KC & the Sunshine Band was actually their second choice. Their first choice was Wham! but George Michael just wasn't up for doing a reunion.

Looking at the pix of VH at that NY club gig, and ..... is it me, or is VH sneaking in Billy Bob Thornton in place of David Lee Roth ?

Name:  van halen.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  128.9 KB
    MrBigBlueLight
    Usually right, but sometimes not entirely factually correct.
    Shifting to Plan B

At least they got the correct vocals this time out. Never cared much for Van Hagar. Lets see if they can get along enough to complete the tour. I'm sure the only time Eddie and Diamond Dave will see each other will be on stage.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

I'm looking forward to hearing it.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

I am a huge VH fan, heck Alex is the reason I play the drums. And considering it (Drops) comes out on my Birthday just seals the deal for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Smith View Post
    WOW!

That's like working your way through Katie Perry in order to get to Rosie O'Donnell.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

I saw them on the last tour and Dave, like most former singers his age, just can't quite deliver like the olden days. He sings about an octave lower and no more shrieking. Hopefully he'll spend more time learning the lyrics or looking at the teleprompter. He forgot a lot of lyrics last time around and based on the glances, Eddie was none to happy. Eddie was spot on, but they sorely miss Michael Anthony's backing vocals.

I will be getting tix for the current tour, should be fun if nothing else.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (10)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WfQ-hV3WtA

Advance single/video out on youtube. Not overly impressed. As expected, Ed throws down some catchy riffs. Dave, IMO has lost it. Can't hit the high notes and instead of the flamboyant front man he used to be he's doing a silly little dance throgh the whole thing. Mikes background vocals are sorely missed. As one of my favorite drummers, Alex seems to be just along for the ride. Wolfie needs to hit the gym or jump on the Jenny Craig wagon like mama did.

Local concert was just announced. Tickets start at $135....pass

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I can't believe they chose that as a single. Hope that's not the best they can do.

LAME...... give it up boys before you lose what little dignity you have left.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamM2 View Post
    I can't believe they chose that as a single. Hope that's not the best they can do.
    That was my thought too. Usually the first single is one to get people excited for the album. Didn't do it for me....

They've been playing the crap out of Tatoo on the radio. Still hasn't grown on me. WTH is "swap meet salad" referencing?

I just heard the new Tattoo song on the way home.......

New VH song, you're what the spanish would call El Terrible`
    2.0 - Zu Audio Omen MK-1B's, Peachtree Decco65 ,Zu Mission SC's, Audio Technica TT, Bugle2 & Bottlehead Reduction Phono Pre's, PS Audio UPC200, Doug's Int's
    HT - Anthem MRX300, RTIA3's, RTIA1's, CSIA4, DSW400, 55ST30, APC H15, 360 Elite, Panny DMP-BD35K

Looking for new homes....
    MIT EXp2 Cables
    Anthem MCA20

Well, what do you want from a bunch of guys in there 50,s a masterpiece? To me its no more than a way to bring in extra $$$, how many times did we see The Who, and Kiss do a final tour, alot same crap The Cars pulled, without Ben Orr they werent the cars, and without Anthony on bass there not van halen.
    Not an Audiophile, just a dude who loves music, and decent gear to hear it with.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbigbluelight View Post
    Looking at the pix of VH at that NY club gig, and ..... is it me, or is VH sneaking in Billy Bob Thornton in place of David Lee Roth ?

Attachment 64671
    When I saw that picture I thought he looked like an angry Kasey Kasem.

Quote Originally Posted by nap View Post
    When I saw that picture I thought he looked like an angry Kasey Kasem.
    Isn't that Mick Jagger?
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

Quote Originally Posted by ken brydson View Post
    They've been playing the crap out of Tatoo on the radio. Still hasn't grown on me.
    That's the thing....there's no hook. I put the video of the song on replay and listened to it (5 straight times)....the song is not sinking in. At this stage of these guys' career, I don't expect any kind of masterpiece. But, please, come up with a interesting 4 minute song.

Maybe Kool & the Gang may put on a better show? Is James "JT" Taylor still the group's lead singer?

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Tse View Post
    At this stage of these guys' career, I don't expect any kind of masterpiece. But, please, come up with a interesting 4 minute song.
    And maybe a video that isn't just plain embarrasing.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamM2 View Post
    And maybe a video that isn't just plain embarrasing.
    That too. I'd think such a major act would invite a big investment into a video. I guess not.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Obviously the idea is to cash in based on the past and put little effort into going forward.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Obviously the idea is to cash in based on the past and put little effort into going forward.

H9
    Exactly. No doubt EVH is set financially but last I heard DLR was working as a paramedic and his house was in foreclosure...

Thumbs up Also touring Canuck land!

Reading the above posts I sure hope not to be dsappointed? What the heck, I've got nothing to loose as our sister company is working on gettring some of us in their suite fo free. If I enjoy, I'll celebrate and if not I'll just throw some tomatoes! ... and that for free!

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/story_p...57154&sponsor=
    Last edited by TECHNOKID; 01-11-2012 at 08:15 PM.
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)

First review of the upcoming studio album is in....

http://www.tonepublications.com/music/van-halen/

Above the dulled, synth-based fluff of later-era Van Hagar albeit absent the boisterous sleaze and hook-drenched swagger of the group’s heyday, A Different Kind of Truth constitutes a minor victory, however compromised.

I believe I will let my extremely fond memories of listening to their first album on 8 track and being in the 8th row at Baltimore Civic Center in 1978 when they opened up for Black Sabbath remain.
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Heard the "Tatoo" track... wish to NEVER experience that ever again.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Just terrible Some things are better off left dead
    It sure aint 1978 listening to Runnin' then Eruption

polk 10bs--- prodigy hd2 modded Burson Audio opamps
    dcm time windows ---- parasound pre amp
    TDQ-1600 Broadcast Reference Tuner -- yamaha cd s700
    yamaha px-3 Denon dl-110 --- audioquest ic
    carver 1.5t--- bogdan speaker cables
    ps audio 200cx--- ps audio phono pre amp

Thread Information