Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 162
  1. #61

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    9,693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ravaneli View Post
    Man, when I read your critique of the monitors I found some similarities with my A7s. Should have never read it, now it's gona bother me.

    Not the bassy part, the lows come out super crisp and tight, and pack quite a punch even with my cheap pioneer (if boosted slightly through EQ). But the highs do become unpleasant as I turn up the volume. Too sharp to the ear. The thing is, this sharpness is kind of pleasant on low to mid volume, because it creates a feeling of clarity and fidelity, as you can hear super fine detail even at low volume.

    Do me a favor, let me know if the polks sound clearer on low volume. this brightness actually creates more contrast and detail is easier detected on low volume in my opinion..
    What gear do you have in the mix? Sometimes swapping out some cables can help alleviate what your describing....... provided your a believer in the fact that cables can in fact make a sonic difference

  2. #62

    Member Sales Rating: (8)

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sunny South Florida
    Posts
    3,044

    Default

    thanks for the detailed review...glad you like em!....

  3. #63

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    530

    Default

    No, I paid $200 to rewire my car with monster cables that replaced the cheapest RCAs in the world (thank you, cheap mexican shop) and didn't feel absolutely any difference. The only pleasant result was the monsters looked fat and solid and cool, and the old RCAs had actually start to rust and peel off at the connectors because I was pulling them on and off all the time experimenting..

  4. #64

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ravaneli View Post
    No, I paid $200 to rewire my car with monster cables that replaced the cheapest RCAs in the world (thank you, cheap mexican shop) and didn't feel absolutely any difference. The only pleasant result was the monsters looked fat and solid and cool, and the old RCAs had actually start to rust and peel off at the connectors because I was pulling them on and off all the time experimenting..
    I'm neutral on the subject of cables myself, but it would be hard to tell in that type of noisy electrical environment.

  5. #65

    Member Sales Rating: (15)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    Also: Monster.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

  6. #66

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rogersville MO
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ravaneli View Post
    Man, when I read your critique of the monitors I found some similarities with my A7s. Should have never read it, now it's gona bother me.

    Not the bassy part, the lows come out super crisp and tight, and pack quite a punch even with my cheap pioneer (if boosted slightly through EQ). But the highs do become unpleasant as I turn up the volume. Too sharp to the ear. The thing is, this sharpness is kind of pleasant on low to mid volume, because it creates a feeling of clarity and fidelity, as you can hear super fine detail even at low volume.

    Do me a favor, let me know if the polks sound clearer on low volume. this brightness actually creates more contrast and detail is easier detected on low volume in my opinion..
    Low volume listening the highs on the polks sound fine. Everything seems bright and crisp. But the louder the volume goes the louder all of this goes.

    You might try an amp and see what happens. On the M70's I know it is not a lack of power because I am giving each one 200 watts.
    Receiver: ONKYO 709
    Amplifier: Acurus A200x3
    Front: EmpTek E55Ti
    Center: EmpTek E56Ci
    Surround: EmpTek E5Bi
    Sub: Elemental Designs A5-350
    TV: LG 55"
    Blu-Ray: PS3

  7. #67

    Member Sales Rating: (15)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    Damn, if these were available clearance in the red burl i'd be buying a set right now, just because i'm curious.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

  8. #68

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,198

    Default

    Would love to see some better pictures of the finish if you can. Daylight would be best so your camera doesn't have to work so hard to expose with the little light in your room. If you get a minute to do it, don't use flash if you're shooting with sunlight.

  9. #69

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,557

    Default

    Glad they are working for you. That center channel has me very curious. You wouldn't happen to have a CS350-LS handy to compare it to, would you?

    RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII

  10. #70

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In A Van Down By The River
    Posts
    21,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slammin86 View Post
    Low volume listening the highs on the polks sound fine. Everything seems bright and crisp. But the louder the volume goes the louder all of this goes.

    You might try an amp and see what happens. On the M70's I know it is not a lack of power because I am giving each one 200 watts.
    Sounds like a gear issue to me. 200 watts means nothing and a receiver is not a great source of "real" power. Also understand the M series is Polk's entry level speakers so there are going to be some limitations because they are built to a price point. Perhaps, based on the way you have described your new speakers, the RTiA series is a better comparison.

    So to small degree you might be doing an apples to oranges comparison, but since I am not at all familiar with you new brand of speakers and I can't say.

    Just food for thought

    H9
    Last edited by heiney9; 02-15-2012 at 12:35 PM.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

    Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

  11. #71

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rogersville MO
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Sounds like a gear issue to me. 200 watts means nothing and a receiver is not a great source of "real" power. Also understand the M series is Polk's entry level speakers so there are going to be some limitations because they are built to a price point. I'm sure, based on the way you have described your new speakers, the RTiA series is a better comparison.

    So to small degree you might be doing an apples to oranges comparison, but since I am not at all familiar with you new brand of speakers and I can't say.

    H9
    I am running an acurus A3x200 which I believe has solid power. It made a huge difference when I switched the m70's from a onkyo 270 to the amp.

    What RTiA series towers could I get for $397.50 shipped? Monitors 70's can be had for close to that amount which is why I feel it was a fair comparison. Just based on price.

    If you have an extra $400 laying around you should buy a pair and see what you think of the emptek's.
    Receiver: ONKYO 709
    Amplifier: Acurus A200x3
    Front: EmpTek E55Ti
    Center: EmpTek E56Ci
    Surround: EmpTek E5Bi
    Sub: Elemental Designs A5-350
    TV: LG 55"
    Blu-Ray: PS3

  12. #72

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In A Van Down By The River
    Posts
    21,238

    Default

    I missed you were running an amp.

    No thanks, I'll pass on the Emptek's. I will need a whole lot more convincing than a single thread.

    I'm very happy with my SDA's; Monitor 5B's and RT25i's all in different rigs.

    Enjoy them

    H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

    Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

  13. #73

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    530

    Default

    No, I meant could you say that the monitors sound better than the empteks on low volume? To me the brightness really brings out detail in low volume that cannot be detected in the so called 'laid back' speakers.

    Also, regarding my highs sounding harsh on high level due to lack of power, this sounds absurd from a physical perspective. How much power can a tweeter use, even if you have 5 kilowatts fed to it? If my 7" woofers pack a tight crisp punch on high volume i find it really unlikely that the tweeters are suffering from power.

    Not sure if biwiring could do anything about that. I am really skeptical but I have to admit I don't know. Perhaps I will try it just for the heck of it, - won't be expensive to try anyway..

  14. #74

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    6,130

    Default

    Its not about powering the tweeters, its about powering the other drivers. A lack of midbass will make any speaker sound bright, and that's where the extra power comes into play. The RTi's are brighter speakers by design. Couple that with a lack of power, and you're going to get an even brighter sound.

  15. #75

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    916

    Default

    Thanks for the review!

    I was skeptical, but I'm glad this worked out. Tough to start a company like EMPtek, but positive reviews and word of mouth, along with sustained performance wins out in the end.
    Do you hear that buzzing noise?

  16. #76

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    1,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ravaneli View Post
    No, I meant could you say that the monitors sound better than the empteks on low volume? To me the brightness really brings out detail in low volume that cannot be detected in the so called 'laid back' speakers.

    Also, regarding my highs sounding harsh on high level due to lack of power, this sounds absurd from a physical perspective. How much power can a tweeter use, even if you have 5 kilowatts fed to it? If my 7" woofers pack a tight crisp punch on high volume i find it really unlikely that the tweeters are suffering from power.

    Not sure if biwiring could do anything about that. I am really skeptical but I have to admit I don't know. Perhaps I will try it just for the heck of it, - won't be expensive to try anyway..
    Tweets are the most sensative to distortion...

    Distortion can give a harsh tone.

    As for the A7's, speaker cables can make a difference IMO.

    I had Monoprice 12ga wiring and I swapped to MIT ExP2 speaker wire and I found the bright highs to mellow out. I can sit and listen to music all day on them now.

    Still not up to par with my LSi 9's, but much better than before.
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : Oppo BDP-103 : Roku 3 : Denon AVR-2808Ci : Definitive Tech ProMonitor 800 R&L : ProCenter 1000 : Polk FXi 3 Surrounds : Twin Velodyne SPL 10 Series II's :

    2Ch:
    Polk LSi 9's : Parasound HCA 1500A : Pro-Ject Debut Carbon : Cambridge 640P Phono Stage : Musical Fidelity M1 S DAC : APC H15 : MacBook Pro Retina :

  17. #77

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    1,136

    Default

    Congrats on the new speakers BTW. Sound like you got a great deal and I'm glad you're happy!
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : Oppo BDP-103 : Roku 3 : Denon AVR-2808Ci : Definitive Tech ProMonitor 800 R&L : ProCenter 1000 : Polk FXi 3 Surrounds : Twin Velodyne SPL 10 Series II's :

    2Ch:
    Polk LSi 9's : Parasound HCA 1500A : Pro-Ject Debut Carbon : Cambridge 640P Phono Stage : Musical Fidelity M1 S DAC : APC H15 : MacBook Pro Retina :

  18. #78

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    3 moves from check mating you
    Posts
    3,073

    Default

    I'd like to congrat you on your purchase. Beautiful speakers.

    I think I noticed the Polks are alot deeper than the Emps. I wonder if the enternal volume might be the same given the Emps have the upper part chambered off from the bass speakers. Anyway, I like the price you paid. Now for another reviewer to help the masses and since you've heard Polk, you can give us some more updates as the Emps break in some more.

    Thanks for your sharing this purchase with us. I thought they were White Van also but I now believe they are a few notches above for sure.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies . I am glad to be a part of a select group that tries to take our auditory and visual senses to a higher level: we EXPERIENCE them.... GOT SDA?...GOT SUNFIRE? ...GOT Maggies?

  19. #79

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Revere,Ma
    Posts
    719

    Default

    You're a lucky man.....they are now out of stock in the clearance section.....Keep us updated on their performance.I think the naysayers were just jealous....good score,man

  20. #80

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ravaneli View Post
    No, I meant could you say that the monitors sound better than the empteks on low volume? To me the brightness really brings out detail in low volume that cannot be detected in the so called 'laid back' speakers.

    Also, regarding my highs sounding harsh on high level due to lack of power, this sounds absurd from a physical perspective. How much power can a tweeter use, even if you have 5 kilowatts fed to it? If my 7" woofers pack a tight crisp punch on high volume i find it really unlikely that the tweeters are suffering from power.

    Not sure if biwiring could do anything about that. I am really skeptical but I have to admit I don't know. Perhaps I will try it just for the heck of it, - won't be expensive to try anyway..
    If you want to sink some more money in to your RTi A7's get in touch with Trey (VR3).
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II

  21. #81

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rogersville MO
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Yeah I noticed they are out of stock now. Glad I bought when I did.

    I am still running no EQ with them. Last night I brought the sub back into the mix crossed over at 80 hz. I love how well it blends. I think the fact the the low end on the emp tek seems much more precise that helps it blend into the sub better.

    I am going to order the bookshelves since they are back in stock now and run them as surrounds to replace my M30's. Then once they arrive I will run audyssey again.

    Thanks for the kind words everyone. For the time being these speakers saved me from spending much much more on speakers. I was prepared to spend $1000~$1200 on towers. I ended up coming in at $397 and am happy. Well at least until upgradetitus strikes again. Hopefully I last more than a year this time.
    Last edited by slammin86; 02-16-2012 at 06:21 AM.
    Receiver: ONKYO 709
    Amplifier: Acurus A200x3
    Front: EmpTek E55Ti
    Center: EmpTek E56Ci
    Surround: EmpTek E5Bi
    Sub: Elemental Designs A5-350
    TV: LG 55"
    Blu-Ray: PS3

  22. #82

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Revere,Ma
    Posts
    719

    Default I bought the Burl!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by slammin86 View Post
    Yeah I noticed they are out of stock now. Glad I bought when I did.

    I am still running no EQ with them. Last night I brought the sub back into the mix crossed over at 80 hz. I love how well it blends. I think the fact the the low end on the emp tek seems much more precise that helps it blend into the sub better.

    I am going to order the bookshelves since they are back in stock now and run them as surrounds to replace my M30's. Then once they arrive I will run audyssey again.

    Thanks for the kind words everyone. For the time being these speakers saved me from spending much much more on speakers. I was prepared to spend $1000~$1200 on towers. I ended up coming in at $397 and am happy. Well at least until upgradetitus strikes again. Hopefully I last more than a year this time.
    They put the Burl back up on clearance today.....And [B]I bought them!!!!....I also have the M70's,which I will use for a compare......I'm going to mate this with a Revel T3 sub.
    He who hesitates,is lost....Thanks to you,buddy,I pulled the trigger.....Peter

  23. #83

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rogersville MO
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pietro944 View Post
    They put the Burl back up on clearance today.....And [B]I bought them!!!!....I also have the M70's,which I will use for a compare......I'm going to mate this with a Revel T3 sub.
    He who hesitates,is lost....Thanks to you,buddy,I pulled the trigger.....Peter
    Thats awesome. I cannot wait to hear your comparison. Too bad you already read my review I would like to see another person's unbiased thoughts on these 2 speakers.

    Make sure you post some good pictures of that finish. If it would have been available when I bought mine thats the color I would have went with just because of how unique it looks.
    Receiver: ONKYO 709
    Amplifier: Acurus A200x3
    Front: EmpTek E55Ti
    Center: EmpTek E56Ci
    Surround: EmpTek E5Bi
    Sub: Elemental Designs A5-350
    TV: LG 55"
    Blu-Ray: PS3

  24. #84

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Revere,Ma
    Posts
    719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slammin86 View Post
    Thats awesome. I cannot wait to hear your comparison. Too bad you already read my review I would like to see another person's unbiased thoughts on these 2 speakers.

    Make sure you post some good pictures of that finish. If it would have been available when I bought mine thats the color I would have went with just because of how unique it looks.
    Your review won't color my eval.....i'll test them speaker A and then B with the same music....especially jazz vocals,which is my preference.I won't use the Revel sub,until they're broken in.The Burl on the website looks gorgeous and it goes all around the back.....can't wait.

  25. #85

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Revere,Ma
    Posts
    719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
    Damn, if these were available clearance in the red burl i'd be buying a set right now, just because i'm curious.
    FYI....They are now available in the red burl,I bought them tonite

  26. #86

    Member Sales Rating: (15)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    Well that's bad timing... :( I just paid all my bills and bought $448 worth of nuts/bolts/washers for a car.

    Maybe they'll still be available next time i'm paid.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

  27. #87

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Revere,Ma
    Posts
    719

    Default

    FYI......Red Burl is now OUT OF STOCK....Black still available...Glad I jumped in last nite.

  28. #88

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    9,693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pietro944 View Post
    Glad I jumped in last nite.
    Not the first time you've said that I will venture :chessygrin:

  29. #89

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Revere,Ma
    Posts
    719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    Not the first time you've said that I will venture :chessygrin:
    yea,but it was a blow-up doll

  30. #90

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Revere,Ma
    Posts
    719

    Default

    Got a nice email from Brian Tracy at Emptek,confirming my order.He said that they have had a huge response to their clearance sale and that shipping would be in a couple of days.....not in a hurry....gotta make room for these babies,anyhow.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Bought My first TT today and Need Help!
    By nikolas812 in forum 2 Channel Audio
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 01-26-2010, 08:40 PM
  2. Bought a new car today
    By pmckeealaska in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 09-29-2008, 10:04 AM
  3. Bought this SACD box set on the zon today
    By Keiko in forum Music & Movies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-18-2008, 04:33 PM
  4. Bought my first car today
    By michael_w in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 11-22-2006, 11:14 AM
  5. So today I bought....
    By George Grand in forum Speakers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-16-2005, 09:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts