Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Great write up. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by blueboxer View Post
    First, let me apologize for using a fairly modest system to test out these cables, which may be disproportionately expensive for the system I am currently running. I tried to get a Wyred4Sound DAC and STI1000 in time for the review, but that did not work out. However, I think the DAC, preamp, and speakers involved are sufficient to be able to hear a difference if one is indeed present when switching cables. Secondly, I will admit to leaning slightly to the naysayers of speaker cable philosophy in the sense that thru the assorted cables I have used historically, I donít recall ever having a watershed moment or miraculous breakthrough in performance. However, an opportunity to try some very highly regarded and fairly expensive cables via this demo could not and should not be passed. Thus, here we goÖ

Equipment:
    iNova integrated (Sabre DAC, ipod dock, tube preamp, and stereo amp)
    Pioneer Elite SC-35 (used with Wadia dock as well as ipod directly connected)
    Polk LSi15
    Def Tech Mythos ST
    Wadia i170 transport (used with Pioneer Elite SC-35 only)

Listening Room:
    20x20 room
    Speakers were approximately 8 ft apart, 3 ft from wall
    Listening position was approximately 6 ft. from speakers

Speaker Cables Used in Demo:
    Monster XP cable with monster nanners.
    MIT EXP1 cables with MIT nanners.
    MIT Shotgun S3.3 with MIT nanners.

Again, not the most impressive system, but I really am looking for a simplified system after dealing with components in the past and all the various interconnects that go along with it. It was a battle of finding the perfect combinations and resisting the urge to try another one of the myriad combinations of cables and components. I have thoroughly enjoyed the lack of a need to store and fumble with CDís and everything else and after the Wyred4Sound upgrade I will probably call it fin. Apologize for that tangent.

My listening material was a playlist of some of my favorite songs as well as those that I always enjoy listening for that extra detail, decay, or emotion that another piece of the puzzle may add. The list is as follows:

John Mayer- Gravity
    Anouk- Lost
    Aaron Robinson- The Elephant
    Warren Zevon- Keep Me in Your Heart
    Adele- Donít You Remember

And then a few hours of mixes of Jack Johnson, B.O.B., Morgan Paige, etcÖ for non-critical listening.

Methodology:
    I spent the first week of casual listening to help burn in the relatively new cables. Never really looking or taking notes. After the first week I would spend about 45 min. listening to each of the above referenced cables and then switching to another cable. At this point I was listening for subtle differences and preferences, which there definitely were. I took turns listening to the cables via the iNova and also the wadia and SC-35. On the last weekend I set aside time with the better half to really just sit down and listen to only the playlist as it ran thru one set of speaker cables at a time, and then did so again and again to really ensure that there was consistency in my thoughts and preferences. This process was completed for both sets of speakers listed above, but in the end I elected to spend all this listening time on the iNova.

Results:
    In order of performance and preference:

1. S3.3
    2. EXP
    3. Monster

S3.3 Pros-
    Build quality is substantial
    Nanners and all connections yield solid hookups
    Sound is very detailed, with great separation of vocals and instruments
    Bass is solid and there was a reduction in the boominess (especially with the LSi15ís)
    The sound was neutral to me, which is a good thing IMO

S3.3 Negatives-
    Cost for some
    The cables are substantial so tight fits and angles could be an issue for some
    They will make you doubt your current cables

Conclusion:
    The Shotgun S3.3 were consistently my favorite cable, by a great difference in reference to the monster cables and less so with the other MIT cables. Returning to the monster cables always seemed to produce a veiled or muffled sound, however a couple friends who were present during the time actually preferred this sound and thought the bass seemed louder (to me it was boomier). Going to the MIT cables always seemed to produce more separation and detail with the S3.3 adding that extra level of rightness. Interestingly, the improvements seemed to be more marked and obvious with the Polks than with the Def Techs. I was actually hoping the S3.3 would add a touch of warmth to the Mythos, but I didnít detect any.

However, the MITís definitely improved the overall presentation of all of the music and songs. Was the improvement proportional to the cost difference? No, but there is always the law of diminishing return, and it definitely plays a part in this example as well. Would I recommend spending the difference? Absolutely, so long as your finances permit it, I would purchase a pair or at least a used pair. Could you live with a lower line of MITís such as the EXP lineup or perhaps an equal Audioquest, Cardas, etc. offering? Again, my answer would be absolutely, but we could also all live with driving a Honda Civic as well.

I know that this doesnít necessarily offer any clear conclusion, but most things in life arenít. I will say that I am no longer a naysayer of cables, but still conscious of the law of diminishing return that would have to be associated with them. That rate of diminishment would also probably defer and not be as steep with a system that was more proportional to these cables. Personally, I will be looking on for a pair of these cables to keep as my own. Could I live without them? Yes, but why should anyone live without something that they enjoy and find worthwhile.

Review of MIT speaker cables and interconnects: First I would like to start off by saying thank you to Jesse. It was very nice of him to set this up for me. after hooking everything up and learning all about locking interconnects on the fly I sat down for some listening. To me ,my system sounds great as is. With Monster cable speaker wires and Signal cable interconnects.So this is hard to say any thing major for a change. i am a NOOB at all this anyway.Maybe in ten years of making my system better piece by piece I can define any differences better? This MIT set up seems to make any backgrounnd noise dissapear. Speakers seemed to expand to a widder sound field . I am not going to lie and say something in the paperwork that came with this set up or something I read posted elsewhere. Overall I was pleased with the results. I will upgrade speaker cables with some used MIT 750 MH style upgrades,but nothing like this. Thanks again Jesse for the honor of this demo. Darryl

Pioneer Elite SC 63
    SDA SRS 1.2 front
    Rti12 rear
    FXiA6 sides
    Emotiva XPA 3
    Adcom GFA 555
    CSiA6 center
    PSW505 Subwoofer
    Original PS3 60G
    Oppo DV981HD cd transport
    Mitsubishi 73 rear projection
    Sanyo DC Servo player TP 727 turntable
    Monster HTS 5100MKII
    TheBlaze
    MIT MH-750 cables

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Round 4 of the MIT Shotgun S3.3 Demo/Review is now closed.

Thanks to all who took part, to MIT and Polk Audio for making this possible.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Photobucket is a mess these days. Once again, I didn't move or delete the list.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Glad I was able to sneak in just before this closed! Huge thanks again to Jesse and Polk!
    Bedroom 2 channel: NAD C316BEE, Marantz cd6004, Polk Audio TSi100, Audioquest Bedrock & King Cobra
    HT: Onkyo HT-RC360, Athena Micra 6

I read on a other site MIT is raising their prices, but I couldn't find any info on MIT site. I did notice you can't buy their cables any more from the MIT site. I guess Joe took all their business. Maybe that is why they are raising prices.

Go to www.mitcablesexpress.com to purchase from MIT directly.

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Go to www.mitcablesexpress.com to purchase from MIT directly.
    Yes, I noticed that, but I was talking about buying the new items. That site only sells older products. Of course, those probably work pretty good.

"MIT Cables Express is where you can find fast savings on speaker cables, interconnects, video cables, and power products from MIT Cables. This is your chance to have MIT Cables' quality and performance at huge savings because everything offered is older technology (circa 2004 to 2009), Overstock, B-Stock, or New Old Stock."

I think they are playing around a bit. For example, if you look at speaker cables you'll see they are all "Current Production", but I understand what you are saying about how they use to list the prices on the main site.

BTW, MIT has a new addy......

ww2.mitcables.com

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Jesse, I can make you an FTP folder on my Server. Your files will be there forever.

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    WTF, Photobucket has done it again. I did not move or delete the list. Since it came back on its own before, maybe it will so again.
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Thanks Jesse, for helping this get this going. Great reads and great administration on your part.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I would have loved to have done the demo but my system is not quite ready. Although I have a killer HT system Iwant to wait until I finish the 2 ch system thats under construction. When its done I want enough quality components there so I can swap out the old exp ic and spkr cables and boom... just hear that high quality cable upgrade in an instant. This brings me to the point, will there be another MIT cable demo with other offerings ? and it would great if they sent out a couple of power cords to really evaluate them to the max

Post 223 Reported.
    Go away Spammer

Sorry if this has been covered, but since I've been out of the loop for a bit, just wondering if there is going to be a round 5. Would love to see how something like this stacks up to the Synergistic Research cables I have now.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,

Still talking about it....we'll see.

Thanks. I'll try to keep up to speed.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,

Round 5 featuring MIT's new StyleLine SL series cables will be starting in the very near future, so stay tuned.

I'm fairly certain at this point there will be two demos going at the same time, a US 48 states demo and a Canadian demo......I need my head examined.

hrm Canadian demo...might be worth the audition time...
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II > Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Bedroom
    Harman Kardon HK 3490/HK 3375
    A:Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers Black
    B:Polk Monitor (Model) 5 with Peerless Tweets
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

Of course, it would be worth the audition time, these are MIT cables.

hrm wonder if my system is good enough for MIT stuff (post tweeter repair that is and back to normal)
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II > Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Bedroom
    Harman Kardon HK 3490/HK 3375
    A:Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers Black
    B:Polk Monitor (Model) 5 with Peerless Tweets
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

Sure it is.

Jesse, I really should put this cash into the x-overs and have no idea how quicly the turn around is for getting these delivered.It looks like I passed all your checks for criterior, it would be great way to try a famous high end cable I would like to be put on the list.What kind of ends are on the speaker cables and are they screw on reversible type. The i/c I'm assuming they are RCA type.So if you could just answer those 2 questions and a close #on cash to be expended put me on the list.Hey after these sets make the rounds does any poor former dissbeliever have a right to these or does MIT take them back and do an autopsy on them.

By any chance will i get chance to demo a S1.3? i have S3s right i would really like to hear the difference.

No chance. The current demo program is featuring the new StyleLine series.

Thread Information