Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I Hate Netflix!

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Default I Hate Netflix!

Last night i was looking for a movie to watch. I was browsing Sci-Fi stuff and I tried to watch a few shows and they just sucked. So I started to spool Star Trek 2009 and it was playing nice, no problems streaming.

At around 2AM I was falling asleep and so I paused it and went to bed. Just now I tried to continue and i was getting no response. This happens many times when movies are paused for a long time which is fine. So I hit escape and went to load the movie again and I was going to click on Resume play when I get this friggin message that says this movie is only available on DVD and not on instant play!!!!! WTF!!!!!

Those Bastards! I even looked at my recent queue of movies and it was gone completely!!!

I hate Them!!!
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Member Sales Rating: (16)

I have never had a single issue with Netflix streaming in 2 years other than with bandwidth issues with my ISP at peak times.

What device are you using? Many times it's the device not Netflix. I know you are in IT so I will assume your connections/router are not the issue.

Did you try resetting the streaming device and/or your router. Many times this fixes a glitch. Did you log into you Netflix account to see if the movie was still listed as streamable?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

I have gigabit cat6 cabling throughout my house. So it's not that.

I used to use my xbox but that cost me more because I needed the xbox live account. Now I use an Apple TV. I'll reset it and see if the movie is there
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

There is no need to pause anything. If you stop the movie, it will resume in the same spot the next time you bring it up. I don't believe there is even a permanent pause. Once the system goes to sleep it goes back to normal. Of course I'm just going on how my ROKU player works. Perhaps other devices are different and cause other issues I'm not aware of.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (36)

Lasareath, this happened to me right in the middle of a Dexter Marathon in my household. I don't know if they restricted access for me only or everyone, but I couldn't stream Dexter for months.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

PolkAudioCLYDE: "I have not had that problem. Netfilx is not the best. but, so far, it's been okay. I give it a rating of 3 out of 5 star."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasareath View Post
    Last night i was looking for a movie to watch. I was browsing Sci-Fi stuff and I tried to watch a few shows and they just sucked. So I started to spool Star Trek 2009 and it was playing nice, no problems streaming.

At around 2AM I was falling asleep and so I paused it and went to bed. Just now I tried to continue and i was getting no response. This happens many times when movies are paused for a long time which is fine. So I hit escape and went to load the movie again and I was going to click on Resume play when I get this friggin message that says this movie is only available on DVD and not on instant play!!!!! WTF!!!!!

Those Bastards! I even looked at my recent queue of movies and it was gone completely!!!
    I hate Them!!!
    PolkAudioClyde

Yes, Dexter and pulling it from streaming had me fuming. You have to understand though sometimes it's not Netflix's fault. The studio's have everything to do with licensing and they can be fickle.

I started watch Lost a few years ago and got 1/2 throught the 1st season and they pulled it from streaming. About 3 months later it showed up again and the nice thing was it started me off on the next episode in my queue. My guess it is was around the Holidays and they put out a DVD boxset and I'm sure the studio's pulled it to increase DVD boxset sales over the Holidays and then allowed them to stream it again.

H9

Member Sales Rating: (36)

Oh yeah I remember that. And yes, most issues are all due to IP rights. Personally, I still love Netflix. In combination with Hulu, I don't need any other service.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I was watching a movie and right in the middle of it, it said the movie is no longer available. I was like wtf. 4 weeks later i still cannot find it for streaming. I am suprised they would pull movies right in the middle of someone watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by erniejade View Post
    I was watching a movie and right in the middle of it, it said the movie is no longer available. I was like wtf. 4 weeks later i still cannot find it for streaming. I am suprised they would pull movies right in the middle of someone watching it.
    Lol, you think they have people monitoring a live feed of who is watching a particular movie............LOL, that's funny. I agree it is one of the downsides to streaming. For me the upsides far outweigh the few downsides like something being unavailable for streaming.

If you pay-per-view a movie it won't ever be pulled in the middle, but then you are paying something like 2000% more to ensure that. For me, I don't care so much to pay $5-7 per movie when I can stream 1000's for about the same price per month.

H9
    Last edited by heiney9; 02-14-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

On the xbox360 it will tell you when a stream will expire. I think the streaming is crapy because the audio is garbage

Your Netflix queue tells you when a stream will expire. I would assume that it would be at midnight, or rather 12:01. The information is out there and available so no one really has an excuse that it stopped right in the middle. It always tells you in your queue when the stream expires.

H9

Member Sales Rating: (20)

This thread is dumb, it's like me saying "I hate the local gas station owner because the price of gasoline has gone up!!!"
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Your Netflix queue tells you when a stream will expire. I would assume that it would be at midnight, or rather 12:01. The information is out there and available so no one really has an excuse that it stopped right in the middle. It always tells you in your queue when the stream expires.

H9
    You sure on that?

That would be nice information to have, but I don't see it anywhere on my Netflix queue, where is it listed?
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

I agree that most of the problems with Netflix--including the price hike--are a result of the IP owners. BTW I just checked Netflix and it still shows all three of the original Star Trek seasons are available for streaming.

If you're looking for some decent sci-fi to stream, try Enemy Mine if you haven't seen it already. It's a classic from 1985.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII

In the column on the right under notes it will say "until xx/xx", if there is nothing there, then nothing in your streaming queue is expiring soon. If you look in the DVD queue it also shows which ones are now available to stream (but weren't when you added them to your queue) by putting a "play" button in the "instant" column.

The only thing I'm not sure of is how much lead time they give, probably not more than week and probably less. I have a few that are scheduled to drop from streaming on 2/16

One feature they got rid of that irked me a lot was if a streaming title expired, they would move it to a list down at the bottom of the screen as no longer available. That would give me the opportunity to add the title to my DVD queue if I still felt it was worth watching. Now I have to keep track of those titles before they fall off streaming otherwise I might not remember I wanted to see it.

I have 98 DVD's and 136 in streaming so you can see if titles fall off of streaming without notice I probably wouldn't even know since there are 136 titles to keep track of.

H9

Out of my 130 streaming titles in my queue, exactly one is set to expire: "Night of the Demons" on 2/16. However Netflix's contract with Starz is set to expire on February 28th, and Starz has opted not to renew it. A good number of Netflix's instant streaming titles are Starz titles, including the "Enemy Mine" I mentioned previously.

There are a few lists of Starz titles you should watch before the contract expires, if you look for them. "Enemy Mine" is on this one:

http://www.flixist.com/the-10-movies...x-206654.phtml

So is "Let Me In" which is a superb movie. Remake of a Swedish film called "Let the Right One In," which is also available via streaming.

Anyway Netflix's streaming is about to suck a lot more after 2/28.

Yes, I was going to re-evaluate after the STARZ contract expires to see how much of an impact that will have on my choices. Glad you brought that up because I had it in my mind the contract with STARZ ended at the end of March.

H9

Actually I just sifted through Netflix's list of Starz titles, and most of it is crap. But there are a few more must-sees:

Ronin (DeNiro, best car chase EVER)
    Scarface
    Hellboy
    F/X
    Battlefield Earth (yes, I know it bombed, but I liked it)

Battlefield Earth is the worst movie I've ever seen, and I've watchedd lots of bad movies...
    Main HT

Bedroom System

Office Rig

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    Battlefield Earth is the worst movie I've ever seen, and I've watchedd lots of bad movies...
    It was pretty bad. The worst one I got through Netflix was "Alien Armageddon". I thought it got above a 2 so I took a chance. Bad in every way. Bad script, bad acting, bad special effects - not to mention just gross. Everyone in the reviews gave it a one except one guy.
    Front - Polk LSiM 705, Center - Polk LSiM 704c, Rear - Polk LSi 7
    Subwoofer - Epik Legend
    Receiver (as Preamp) - Sony STR-DA3400 ES
    Amplifier - Outlaw 7125
    Television - 58" Samsung Plasma PN58B860
    Blu Ray - OPPO BDP 83

Still, you have to see it just for the historic value. There's only one worst film of the century.

If you hate netflix,why do you use it?

Quote Originally Posted by decal View Post
    If you hate netflix,why do you use it?
    What would he have to complain about on the forum then?

H9

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I thought battlefield earth was awesome .... I really enjoyed it

Quote Originally Posted by polkfarmboy View Post
    I thought battlefield earth was awesome .... I really enjoyed it
    Makes perfect sense...
    Main HT

Bedroom System

Office Rig

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    What would he have to complain about on the forum then?

H9
    True

I know how you feel, I get so upset when I don't get instant gratification.

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    This thread is dumb, it's like me saying "I hate the local gas station owner because the price of gasoline has gone up!!!"
    No, that's not what I'm saying.

If you want me to compare it to a gas station then it would read like this:

I hate my local gas station. I was filling up regular and I got to half a tank and they ran out of gas but the attendant said they still have to charge me for a full tank because that's what I asked for!

But I can have my other half of tank but they need to mail it to me.

Even after a complete reboot of the Apple TV Star Trek 2009 is gone. you can't find it on Instant Queue. I haven't checked yet today since I just got home from work.

Thread Information