Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I happen to know Sunair which makes commercial general coverage receivers, and transceivers use these toroidal transformers in their power supplies. I have a couple of their receivers this transformer, at least dimensionally is identical I have no idea was there spec's are.
    Last edited by transmaster; 04-01-2012 at 01:32 PM.

dup post
    Last edited by transmaster; 04-01-2012 at 01:57 PM.

I popped the cover off of one of these Sunair receivers to see if I could tell who made it, all I could find out is it was made in the USA. In the context of subject of this thread this transformer would be better off used as a fishing weight.

Quote Originally Posted by headrott View Post
    Would it actually be the AV-047528? Or just a 1KVA transformer with the potted center and a magnetic screen on it?

Greg
    Greg,
    From what I understand it would be the same AV-047528 as DK's and Toolfan's. I am really intrested on the results of the Piltron compared to the A-L. I will keep in touch with A-L regarding price and lead times and post it as soon as I hear some info. If the Piltron results are better, I will most likely end up purchasing one of them.

Dave
    Mcintosh MC-501 mono blocks
    Mcintosh C-45
    Mcintosh MVP-871
    PS AUDIO AV5000
    MIT 3.3 Shotgun biwire speaker interface
    MIT 3.3 Shotgun XLR interconnects
    Polk 2.3TL's Gimpod boards/F-1 modded crossovers/dynamat/JB weld/Larry's rings/Blackhole 5 strips
    Polk 3.1 TL's mint/stock (purchased new)
    Polk SDA-2's

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I'm with you on that Dave. If the Plitron is better I will get that, if not I am definately in on getting the AV-047528 if that's truely is what they are manufacturing. If you could verify with A-L that it is the AV-047528 we would appreciate it. Thanks for doing this Dave. I look forward to Ray's results and news about the A-L transformer.

Greg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Member Sales Rating: (3)

I have received the Plitron transformer. I will start the evaluation later this evening.
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

Quote Originally Posted by DarqueKnight View Post
    I have received the Plitron transformer. I will start the evaluation later this evening.
    Jeez, that was fast. Ray, do you plan to use the cable cooker or did that not do much for the testing ?
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Member Sales Rating: (49)

My thoughts on the new Avel transformer that me and Ray got, but mine has got much better in sound after putting some hours on it, The SDA effect is the best it has ever been since I had these speakers. When the wife comments on how good it sounds and points out where she is hearing things I know things are Good...

I hope his findings on the Plitron are positive just not sure I want to spend the money on another transformer... LOL..

I assume some of you gents are even using these trannies with common ground amps ?

Quote Originally Posted by thsmith View Post
    Jeez, that was fast. Ray, do you plan to use the cable cooker or did that not do much for the testing ?
    I am going to use the exact same testing and conditioning methods used with the A-L transformer, including conditioning with the Cable Cooker.

The Cable Cooker did provide improvements, as noted in the first post in this thread.
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member

Kewl
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Member Sales Rating: (17)

DK,

Somebody is making your AI-1 and selling it on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-S...#ht_500wt_1304

no Affiliation

Sal
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Well it has to be someone from here, why not sell it here??

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by FTGV View Post
    I assume some of you gents are even using these trannies with common ground amps ?
    I am with very good results.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0173.jpg‎
Views:	85
Size:	503.1 KB
ID:	68597   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0174.jpg‎
Views:	86
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	68598  

Member Sales Rating: (17)

No Idea, It may be somebody who just read these posts and figured they can make some money.

The auction says it has never been used.
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Lasareath View Post
    DK,

Somebody is making your AI-1 and selling it on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-S...#ht_500wt_1304
    That's not my design if it only requires 2 hours of burn in.

There are a few other technical inaccuracies, but I'm sure someone will drop him a note regarding those.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolfan66 View Post
    Well it has to be someone from here, why not sell it here??
    Maybe it's a lurker with low or no post count who can't sell here. Who do we know in Ft. Lauderdale?

If you were going to use MIT S3 shotguns with the AI, which end would be the AMP side for the cable, the speaker or the AI or it don't matter?

I would not use a directional cable with the AI-1 because signals flow in two directions through it (left speaker to right and right speaker to left).

I would not use a directional cable with the AI-1 because signals flow in two directions through it (left speaker to right and right speaker to left).
    I have been using MIT Shotgun 3's with fantastic results, and have no plans on taking them out..

thsmith,

I need to send you a PM and your box is full.

I have been using MIT Shotgun 3's with fantastic results, and have no plans on taking them out..
    I share Ray's opinion on this, but I've been meaning to get MIT's opinion. Hopefully I'll remember to call them tomorrow.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    I share Ray's opinion on this, but I've been meaning to get MIT's opinion. Hopefully I'll remember to call them tomorrow.
    I would like to know what they say Jesse, and I too would have shared that opinion because I was worried about using them being a directional cable but they work great and I have a lot of hours on them with zero issues.

I should add that the network boxs worried me more then the cable it's self using it for the dreadnought.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolfan66 View Post
    I should add that the network boxs worried me more then the cable it's self using it for the dreadnought.
    Right, my concern is with the boxes, not the cable.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Ray, are you getting close to providing the results of the Piltron??? Your time and efforts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks Dave
    Mcintosh MC-501 mono blocks
    Mcintosh C-45
    Mcintosh MVP-871
    PS AUDIO AV5000
    MIT 3.3 Shotgun biwire speaker interface
    MIT 3.3 Shotgun XLR interconnects
    Polk 2.3TL's Gimpod boards/F-1 modded crossovers/dynamat/JB weld/Larry's rings/Blackhole 5 strips
    Polk 3.1 TL's mint/stock (purchased new)
    Polk SDA-2's

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Right, my concern is with the boxes, not the cable.
    I would assume if there was going to be problems I would have experienced them by now. But I am curious to know what there thoughts are on this..

thsmith,

I need to send you a PM and your box is full.
    Box cleaned out.

Hope it nots bad news like the Plitron is defective

I have completed an evaluation of the Plitron 1000VA 6166 isolation transformer. A full review will be posted sometime next week.

In summary, the sound quality of the Plitron was between that of the A-L 800VA Y236906 and the A-L 1000VA AV-047528. The 1000VA A-L provided a wider and deeper sound stage, more image weight and more overall clarity and detail, particularly in the bass. The A-L is larger and has better build quality than the Plitron.

Figure 1. The A-L transformer is 23% larger, 16% heavier and has better construction quality than the
    Plitron.

Figure 2. The Plitron transformer's metal shield is much thinner than the Avel Lindberg's and is not
    permanently attached like the Avel Lindberg's.

Figure 3. Initial burn in and listening evaluation setup. The tuner on the floor at the right was used to play
    music overnight.

Figure 4. The Plitron transformer was burned in for 21 hours on the Audiodharma Cable Cooker.

Figure 5. Both the Avel Lindberg and Plitron transformers sounded better when oriented vertically.

My AI-1 Dreadnought sits on its left side behind the right speaker. I would prefer it to rest on its feet, but there is not enough space between the speaker and the wall. When I brought the Dreadnough out front for comparative listening with the Plitron transformer, it was sat horizontally on its feet. There was a small lack of clarity and detail. Setting the Dreadnought on its side restored the sound to its prior quality. Up to then, I had not considered that orientation might affect the transformer's sound performance.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

OK Dave, it sounds like you are up in getting a "minimum order" of AV-047528 since it sounds better than the Plitron. Did you make sure it would actually be the AV-047528 transformer and not a potted 1KVA transformer with a magnetic shield put onto it? It will not be the same (sound as good) as the AV-047528. I would estimate it will sound about the same as the Plitron. That said, I am definately in on gettin one of the AV-047528 transformers. Thanks Dave.

Greg
    Last edited by headrott; 04-06-2012 at 05:41 PM.
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Thanks Ray!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I have interest in the AL AV-047528 1KAV Transformer.
    Statistics show that 98% of us will die at some point in our lifetime.

The other 2% will work for WalMart.

Thread Information