Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default JM Lab Focal Chorus 705s

I can pick up a pair the these for $100, to throw in my surround sound system, they review pretty good but I have never heard them. Anyone familiar with these or have any input?

Thanks In advance. Chad

why so cheap? from what I heard, Focal is 1 level above Polk, (like Toyota vs Lexus). I wonder how are these compare to Lsi 7/9

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by nhhiep View Post
    why so cheap? from what I heard, Focal is 1 level above Polk, (like Toyota vs Lexus). I wonder how are these compare to Lsi 7/9
    Focal is a bit higher end then 1 level up from Polk as they make some of the worlds best production speakers. For 100 bucks grab em.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (45)

I paid $300 for mine in mint condition and they are a really sweet mini-monitor. For $100 that is a deal depending on the condition.
    Romans 1:16

Member Sales Rating: (45)

I will also note that Focal makes their own drivers and tweeters in house at their impressive facility in France. You can see the facility online and even get a factory tour on YouTube.

Note that these 705s are the smallest monitors of that Chorus line-up, and you will need some stands and a subwoofer to run them in 2-channel mode. The freq response is rated @ 65Hz - 28kHz and 89dB. They are rated 8 ohms and dip to 3 ohms @ 200Hz.

I was looking for something to run on a small 12 watt custom amp I have, i think these should work good. I have some pold sda 2bs on my main system and they sound wonderful but i dont think I would be able the polks well with only 6 watts per channel :(
    Hello Kitty am/fm CD player

I did find that Focal Chorus were a tad more cautious than what I really wanted... but they're still very detailed and musical at the same time! Just lacking in the bass and dynamics department. I prefered a pair of Totem Dreamcatcher to them, but here again, they were 230$ more than a pair of LSi7.

Even if Focal were a little bit more pricey, I prefered the LSi7 to them, but it's a matter of opinion (price may have affected my decision). And they're harder to drive than a pair of LSi7... those Focal drops easily to 3 ohm, but if you have a 6 ohm amplifier, you won't have any problem! It wasn't for me anyways :P

I find their shape with grille on unusual, but it's kinda "unique" looking so...

Thing is they are really good speakers, and considering the price, it's laughable and you should get them.
    Speakers: Polk Audio LSiM705
    Integrated amplifier: NAD C326BEE
    Source : HTPC Using JRiver Media Center
    DAC: Musical Fidelity V-DAC (S/PDIF)

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I also prefer the Lsi7 but the Chorus 705 is an excellent bookie. And at that price if you don't get them shoot me an email so I can.

Should sound good on a small tube amp.

What is the custom amp? Tube, SS hybrid?
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Smith View Post
    WOW!

That's like working your way through Katie Perry in order to get to Rosie O'Donnell.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

+1, great price on some nice speaks. Agree, if you pass on them Chad,let Joe grab them.

Oh well... my opinion on the matter probably means nothing, as I just re-read your title thread again... You're talking about the Chorus 705s, and my mini-review was about the newest generation model, the 705v. Yet anyways, it's still half what most sellers ask for their "mint" condition ones, and if it sounds as good as their new model, I would say it's a great buy for sure.

And I think it's easier to drive than the new model, so I'm sure that a 12w tube will be more than enough for near field and have an incredible sound.
    Last edited by pyrocyborg; 02-22-2012 at 02:40 PM.
    Speakers: Polk Audio LSiM705
    Integrated amplifier: NAD C326BEE
    Source : HTPC Using JRiver Media Center
    DAC: Musical Fidelity V-DAC (S/PDIF)

Thanks for all the feedback, I will pick them up, and to answer your question Joe the amp is a Waamamp single ended tube amp.
    Hello Kitty am/fm CD player

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I have the 815 I am verry happy with them. They sound 2x bigger than they are. Crystal clear but, picky about placement and eqipment as well as wires.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

You have to move up a little to get the full Focal effect.

Try some Profile 908s and see if you don't sell the Totems? Much more spacious and open holographic sound from these bookies.

And up from the Profile it only gets "better" and "better"!

But you "are" going to "pay" for that!

That said. It's hard to beat 705s for a measly 100.

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 02-23-2012 at 05:46 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Thread Information