Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default Understanding how a Recevier powers speakers

I was doing some thinking on how a/v receviers said to be 7.1 or like and claim that they do 110 watts per channel, but when all channels are driven its more like 40-60 rms. What is causing that drop. Is it too weak of a power supply or just inefficent amplifiers? Does the receviers amp make a lump of power and each channel pull what it needs. I am just having a hard time grasping how it can be rated at one thing while only one channel is driven but when more channels are driven its actually be much lower. It sound to me like the power supply isnt that great.

I recently removed my mains from my Pioneer Elite, but my center and surround is still powered off of my Elite. Did I free up enough "headroom" so to speak to power my center and surrounds at higher volumes then previous? I watch alot of blu-ray concerts and the Center channel gets used alot more then the mains. Now that mains have more juice then i could ever use, will I run the risk of clipping the center at high volumes? Does the rear surrounds (t-15) really place that much of a draw on the receiver?

I hate not having some kind of indicator of where my amp is in relation to its max output. My 1.0t has indictors that make it a little easier. Not that i trust them 100% but its a good ball park.
    HT Rig Sharp LC-52LE810|Panasonic BDP210|Pioneer Elite VSX-32|Polk Audio RTiA5 Cherry|Polk Audio CsiA6 Cherry|Polk Audio T-15|DSW Pro 600, Micro Pro4000 powered with a Crown XLS1000

2Channel Rig Polk Audio LSi9 Cherry| Carver C-1|Carver M1.0t|Dual 1257|Acer A500|Pioneer SW8-MKII X2

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Is it too weak of a power supply
    Bingo!
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Jesse's got you there!

What's that Pioneer weigh? I think less than 29 lbs? Let's compare your Pioneer AVR with a two channel vintage receiver from the early '80s that I own. The Pioneer SX-3900 weighs in at about 45 lbs. and only has 2 channels. It outputs a real 120 watts x 2 into 8 ohms. It has one rather "large" and heavy toroidal transformer and two large storage capacitors which account, I bet, for at least half of its weight.

The average 200 watt x 2 power amp probably has a minimum of 50-60,000 mfs of storage capacitance and a monster toroid or two as well, along with other members in the supporting cast.

Although weight and size is not the end all and be all of power. They are a factor in most A and A/B amps.

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 02-25-2012 at 07:54 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Jesse's got you there!

What's that Pioneer weigh? I think less than 29 lbs? Let's compare your Pioneer AVR with a two channel vintage receiver from the early '80s that I own. The Pioneer SX-3900 weighs in at about 45 lbs. and only has 2 channels. It outputs a real 120 watts x 2 into 8 ohms. It has one rather "large" and heavy toroidal transformer and two large storage capacitors which account, I bet, for at least half of its weight.

The average 200 watt x 2 power amp probably has a minimum of 50-60,000 mfs of storage capacitance and a monster toroid or two as well, along with other members in the supporting cast.

Although weight and size is not the end all and be all of power. They are a factor in most A and A/B amps.

cnh
    Not only that but that power is shared by 7 channels, audio and video processing in avrs
    HT Rig Sharp LC-52LE810|Panasonic BDP210|Pioneer Elite VSX-32|Polk Audio RTiA5 Cherry|Polk Audio CsiA6 Cherry|Polk Audio T-15|DSW Pro 600, Micro Pro4000 powered with a Crown XLS1000

2Channel Rig Polk Audio LSi9 Cherry| Carver C-1|Carver M1.0t|Dual 1257|Acer A500|Pioneer SW8-MKII X2

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

That's right. There is, in most cases, no separate power supplies for all of that in most AVRs. So what a load of work you have a fairly light-weight unit performing.

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Member Sales Rating: (6)

The weight of any AVR tells you how it's made. Or what the watts are about, BS vs Real.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Weight of the unit is a big deal to me. My a753 Carver goes around 70lbs...and it's big. It also has a nice bank of HUGE output caps.(23000 micro farads...each?)
    "Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics." BillD

Pioneer Elite SC-57
    M70 series 2 mains
    CS2 center
    M40 surround
    M30 front height
    SVS PB 12 NSD

Carver TFM-45 (mains)
    Carver A753x (center, surround)

320GB PS3, 42" Panasonic G10,

M60's as a Zone 2 off of the Pioneer in the living room

R.I.P. Onkyo TX-NR807

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by ibewbrother View Post
    Weight of the unit is a big deal to me. My a753 Carver goes around 70lbs...and it's big. It also has a nice bank of HUGE output caps.(23000 micro farads...each?)
    You comparing a power amplifier to an AVR, why?

23000uF is a very large cap. However, lots of smaller caps are preferred because they are faster than large ones.

BTW, I believe your amplifier weighs closer to 40lbs.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    23000uF is a very large cap. However, lots of smaller caps are preferred because they are faster than large ones.
    I think this is an audio engineering myth.
    It only makes sense if the residual inductance (of the smaller capacitor) per uf is less than that
    of the larger capacitor, which is usually not the case (at least when comparing capacitors of
    the same construction type).
    I assume we're not talking about something implausible like 1000 10uf film caps replacing one
    10,000uf electrolytic here.
    ... and in fact, if you put many small capacitors close together on the board with the same orientation,
    you can increase the residual inductance and make the array worse (slower) than the single bigger one.
    Last edited by cristo; 02-26-2012 at 05:58 PM.
    cristo

NAD C 545BEE cd player, Philips AF877 turntable / Shure V15V-MR with JICO SAS stylus,
    Tascam 122 mkIII cassette deck, Harman Kardon 3480 receiver, Terk FM-50 antenna in the attic,
    Soundcraftsmen SE550 stereo equalizer, Polk Monitor 10a speakers
    (with Sonicraft/Solen/Mills crossover rebuild)

I favor the class D amps, which weigh in alot less and sound great. A slightly different ball game than conventional amps.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Quote Originally Posted by cristo View Post
    I think this is an audio engineering myth. .
    I wouldn't go that far. There's more to it than size or number of caps. But if size is any indication, look at the bigger caps in older receivers and the smaller more numerouse ones in todays. Older receivers have rounded, somewhat flabby low bass while todays receivers can dish some well defined fast low end. Of coarse all that can't be contributed to caps alone but I'm pretty sure it helps.

Design has alot to do with it, god knows there has been excellent built pieces in the past that still sounded like garbage becouse of poor design, so on that aspect I can agree. Stranger crap has happened in this hobby for sure.

+1 cristo
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by specd_out View Post
    I recently removed my mains from my Pioneer Elite, but my center and surround is still powered off of my Elite. Did I free up enough "headroom" so to speak to power my center and surrounds at higher volumes then previous? I watch alot of blu-ray concerts and the Center channel gets used alot more then the mains. Now that mains have more juice then i could ever use, will I run the risk of clipping the center at high volumes? Does the rear surrounds (t-15) really place that much of a draw on the receiver?

I hate not having some kind of indicator of where my amp is in relation to its max output. My 1.0t has indictors that make it a little easier. Not that i trust them 100% but its a good ball park.
    I think you're fine the way you have it. That AVR has plenty of power to run your remaining three speakers. You do have another pair of indicators - your ears. They'll bleed before you damage that center. JMHO, of course.
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : MFW-15 (RIP): Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 : Adcom GFA-7500 : PS3 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Onkyo TX-SR575 : DIRECTV HR22 DVR : LG 50PQ30 HDTV
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic

Member Sales Rating: (4)

With a conventional Class A or AB amplifier design, you have to remember the laws of physics.

From my experience, a 62lb. AVR sounded much better than a lighter unit that is also Class A or AB.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!

Thread Information