Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Woah, Pure Audio is the best thing ever

I just tried that little pure audio button on the front of my onkyo 701 and it just about got rid of all the noise I was getting during flat spots with little playing during the song.

I still think I'm gonna pick up one of those monster stage 2 power filters, and maybe get some of the THICK white monster cable and run it up along the wall a bit away from all my electrical cables, however.

Edit: For those who don't know what it is, it turns off everything not needed to simply amplify an input and drive the speakers. It shuts off the power supplies to the video stuff, and all the other accessories, making it pretty much a power amp.

Member Sales Rating: (40)

A lot of better preamps and receivers will offer a 'tone bypass' or 'direct' switch. Anytime I've had the option, I've used it.

Good to hear it is to your liking.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I've found that as my equipment got better thru the years, I was slowly 'weening" myself off the tone controls as well. I've been running my system flat for about 2 years now, and never looked back.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Member Sales Rating: (1)

On the 898 the pure audio is super clean but very bland.
    PS3 and HD Front Projection, life is good. Too bad Blu-Ray and the PS3 are already obsolete.....

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Originally posted by scottvamp
    On the 898 the pure audio is super clean but very bland.
    At first, it takes a little getting used to. You have to "train" your ears out of the over-emphasized bass/treble. What I did was ran my system for a full week with the treble turned at -6db. It was pretty nasty, but after that, the flat 0db setting sounded great. It makes you realize how "artificial" the treble emphasis is; and also made me realize that "burn-in" should probably be called "ear burn-in." LOL
    Last edited by steveinaz; 10-17-2003 at 05:00 PM.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Member Sales Rating: (27)

Holy crap! Man, with good recordings...the direct switch is good! You turn on something like Everlast and it's shot! Overall, I don't like the Polks on FLAT. I prefer like... -6 in treble! Bright little tweets they are!
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Member Sales Rating: (1)

You don't have the new Rti's yet. I hope the mellow out a little with break-in but right now they are quite bright!

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Adding to Russ' comment, as you move further up the audio chain tone controls and even the balance feature are not to be found. That should tell you something.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Thread Information