Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Skip,
    How are you enjoying your Usher's now? Wanna trade out the PNF cables for some Kimber 8TC's to demo? It will be fun. My experience... The PNF has better mids and lows, whereas the Kimbers had incredible detail at the cost of the lows. I will be heading back into Texas this Monday.

I have some new bad assery speaker cables coming in. Will see if they are, else I am turning them into fishing line.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Helen,
    Time to buy some lotto tickets before you make anymore posts. Your post count is 777.
    CD Player: Original CD-A8T
    Pre: Antique Sound Lab Passive T1-X DT
    Amp: NAD C270
    Speakers: B&W DM6
    "I would rather have a cup of tone than an ocean of power" **Dr. Harvey Rosenberg**

I like how your post in this thread is #777 for you

Usher's are going to be here a good long while. It will be interesting to compare them at LSAF to the other setups, but I really think I got the perfect speaker for my 14 x 12 room. I ended up putting the Sylvania AT7's back in the mix and got the full-on tube sound like I had been wanting. Still need a source but trying to hold off on that for now.

I feel the need to add that I threw a Marantz 2216 on them recently. I did it for giggles and to see how far we had come audio-wise. I was stunned! The Marantz holds its own against a more modern tube design in the Jolida. It has similar tonal characteristics, added more texture to the low end, but lost some of the fine details/solid imaging. Nothing shifted, but the sound wasn't as pin-point as it is w/ the Jolida.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Quote Originally Posted by organ View Post
    Helen,
    Time to buy some lotto tickets before you make anymore posts. Your post count is 777.
    If only you knew what he just bought.... its "fitting".
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

What did he get? No system list on his sig.
    "I would rather have a cup of tone than an ocean of power" **Dr. Harvey Rosenberg**

Quote Originally Posted by organ View Post
    What did he get? No system list on his sig.
    Nothing yet.... I won't spill the beans on that one. Not my purchase.

Got it. I'll wait for his upcoming post.

Quote Originally Posted by halenhoang View Post
    Skip,
    How are you enjoying your Usher's now? Wanna trade out the PNF cables for some Kimber 8TC's to demo? It will be fun. My experience... The PNF has better mids and lows, whereas the Kimbers had incredible detail at the cost of the lows. I will be heading back into Texas this Monday.

I have some new bad assery speaker cables coming in. Will see if they are, else I am turning them into fishing line.
    Skip, I would give that a try for giggles. I am VERY happy with my Kimber 8VS for my LSi's and am debating going with 4VS or 4TC for my RTA's that are on tubes.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    So I've been rather frustrated with the sound I had been getting for a while. The Usher's are great at imaging/separation, but I couldn't get them to show it. After getting the Pangea AC-14's from the FM, I hooked them up to the Jolida and Pio BDP. Sound improved, but still nowhere near where I knew it could be. A few nights ago I swapped the Amperex's in for the Sylvania's and it improved drastically. I'm now getting details that I knew I could get and the mud cleared right up. The only thing lost was some warmth, but I'd rather have the details anyhow. Here is the current config:

Usher CP-6311
    Jolida SJ-302A (2x Amperex Gold Globe 12AU7, 2x Sovtek 12AX7, 4x =C=)
    MIT Exp1 interconnects
    Belkin PureAV speaker cable (soon to be PNF hopefully. They are a great improvement.)
    Pangea AC-14
    Pioneer BDP-51fd

Where might be the best place to invest now? I'm sold on the PNF's and can't wait for them to be back in the system. Would it be better to look at different tubes, interconnects, or find a real CDP/source/DAC?
    From your pic Skip, before spending $$ on gear, look at your room acoustic situation. It looks like you could use some wall and or corner treatments. Secondly, and not to offend, but the RT-55's look to me like they could be blocking some necessary sound projection.
    Staff Member TONEAudio
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio
    2 Channel System
    SimAudio Moon i7 int. amp
    iBook w/PureMusic/iTunes,1.5 TB harddrive
    Sim Audio Moon 300D DAC,
    Harbeth Compact 7es-3 Speakers
    Magnepan 1.6 w/Skiing Ninja x-overs
    Rega RP1 w/Ortofon Super OM40
    SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Additional Gear:
    ACI Emerald XL, Totem Rainmakers, Celestion Si Stands, AudioArt cabling, Shunyata Venom power cords, Modified PS Audio Trio C-100 int. amp, Vista Audio Int. Tube, iPod 160 gig

Quote Originally Posted by markmarc View Post
    From your pic Skip, before spending $$ on gear, look at your room acoustic situation. It looks like you could use some wall and or corner treatments. Secondly, and not to offend, but the RT-55's look to me like they could be blocking some necessary sound projection.
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...quot-done-quot

Sweeeeeeeet!
    HT:Polk LSi c LSi 15's LSi 7's LSi FX's Dual DSW MP3K's Marantz AV7701 Sunfire TGA-7401 Oppo BDP-93 Sony PS3 Directv Genie HD DVR Sony 55" 3D LED LCD

2 C: VR3 LSIM 703's Monitor 5B's VR3 LSi 9's Audioquest Rocket 33's DSW MP 1K Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang 50Years Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's Tesla E83CC's Marantz 2385 Yamaha M80 Parasound 2100 Pre Squeezebox Touch Marantz SA8004 SACD Music Hall MMF 5.1 TT Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Pre Solid Silver IC's, Pangea PC's

Looks great!

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Very Nice!!
    Staff Member TONEAudio
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio
    2 Channel System
    SimAudio Moon i7 int. amp
    iBook w/PureMusic/iTunes,1.5 TB harddrive
    Sim Audio Moon 300D DAC,
    Harbeth Compact 7es-3 Speakers
    Magnepan 1.6 w/Skiing Ninja x-overs
    Rega RP1 w/Ortofon Super OM40
    SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Additional Gear:
    ACI Emerald XL, Totem Rainmakers, Celestion Si Stands, AudioArt cabling, Shunyata Venom power cords, Modified PS Audio Trio C-100 int. amp, Vista Audio Int. Tube, iPod 160 gig

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Here is the current config:
    Jolida SJ-302A (2x Amperex Gold Globe 12AU7, 2x Sovtek 12AX7, 4x =C=)
    Where might be the best place to invest now? I'm sold on the PNF's and can't wait for them to be back in the system. Would it be better to look at different tubes, interconnects, or find a real CDP/source/DAC?
    Marvda1 already listed some better 12AX7's. I've been through many 12AU7's and found that ECC802s's (old Tesla builds are cost effective - if you've got extra $$ go for Telefunkens), and E80CC's are a big step up. I've finally settled on 7316's - if you shop carefully you can pick up a pair of those for under $100 and they are worth every penny!

Markmarc has an excellent idea also with the room treatments.
    Aaron

So, a quick search of craigslists in Texas turned up a matching center for my Ushers: the x-616. Needless to say, its now en route to its new home. I got it for an unbeatable price. Unfortunately, that means that I won't be getting the oppo 105 for a while longer. The speaker is silver, but I'm likely to paint it piano black like my 6311s.

Thread Information