Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default preamp Sunfire grand IV or Marantz pm8004

Hello there,

I have little experience in audio and I am looking for advice.
    I am interested in 2.1 audio. Currently have a NAD218 amp connected to a simple denon 379 (as a preamp) to drive my RtiA9 towers.
    My questions are:

1) will be there a noticeable improvement by replacing my little denon with a dedicated preamp?

2) I have limited options where I live. My options are: (7 year old) Sunfire grand theatre 4 (at US 800) or a Marantz pm8004 using it as a preamp. The reason I am considering marantz over my denon is that in my denon does not have a main zone preout but a zone 2 preout, leaving me with no tone control, no sub control, no volume knob control (It is operated only via remote control).
    The sunfire looks like a great preamp but I will not be using all its functions. I am just looking for 2.1 and it seems overpriced for being 7-10 years old (I could be wrong since my understanding of audio gear is very limited).

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    Regards

Member Sales Rating: (12)

The Sunfire will be a very nice piece in a 2.1 setup, but will not be able to support any future upgrades, and does not do HDMI 1.3 very well and 1.4 at all. given that the Sunfire was 4k new, 800.00 seems fair, but still a bit high given the new formats.

I ran a Sunfire TGP5 for a couple years and loved it, but chose to go with a Pioneer Elite SC-37 as an upgrade over the Sunfire because it does all current formats and works very well as a preamp. The Pio is very well respected for it's abilities and the "ICE" power amps in the power section. I think the Pioneer would be a great choice for what you are trying to accomplish

I have no experience with the Marantz you are looking at.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

Nooshinjohn
    Thanks for sharing your experience. Do you think there will be a difference in sound quality adding the sunfire to my system?
    Regards

Member Sales Rating: (12)

The Sunfire's SQ is very,very good... better than the Pioneer I have now, but not by a huge margin. Certainly not enough to justify the loss of features that the Pioneer brings to the table. I would say if you are able to get the Sunfire for 600.00, give it a shot, otherwise consider other options.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

Hello Nosshinjohn,

I did what you said. I offer 600 for it and I got the old Sunfire!
    Without a doubt there was an inprovement in sound quality. I am hearing details I have not heard before in my favorite songs.

Cheers,

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Congrats and enjoy your new gear.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Thread Information