Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Sweet - Schiit DAC & Joule Preamp

Memorial Day is being good to me. Brother brought over his Schiit Bifrost DAC and Joule LA-100 Tube Preamp. We are using a Marantz CD5004 as a transport and have everything running through a Adcom GFA-555 amp along with my SDA TL2Bs. What a difference the preamp makes. The Joule has such a great soundstage, detail, and liveliness that my GFP-565 does not have. Of course there is about $1,500 difference in the two so it should make quite a bit of difference. We also have been playing with the USB port on the Bifrost to PC. It really sounds good and makes me realize that listening to music on a PC is definitely a reality and can sound good. Great even. A very fun day in the air conditioning (95 degrees here).

Name:  gear.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  71.7 KB

Member Sales Rating: (47)

damn fine pre amp!!
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

+1 on the preamp. The Schiit DAC has a lot going for it.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

We are still burning in the Schiit DAC but like what we hear so far. The USB interface to the PC sounds decent. I guess I need to start checking into using my PC as a music server as a alternative to my CDP. I can now see the pros of doing so.

Nice brother, maybe he'll leave it there for a while.

Not a chance! Leaving tomorrow and then back to my same old system...........

Quote Originally Posted by chumlie View Post
    Nice brother, maybe he'll leave it there for a while.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

I understand that DAC is the Schiit.

Let us know what your impressions are.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Member Sales Rating: (20)

The Schiit is a very good DAC, and they've got an even better one in the works. My biggest problem with the Bifrost is their somewhat half-assed implementation of USB. They're not a big fan of USB and while their implementation is decent, it's not great. They will tell you (and they're correct) that the spdif input is better than the USB. If playing files from a computer, having a good usb to spdif converter in the mix is really a necessity.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

We were just discussing that last night....the USB to SPDIF convertor. Do you happen to have some suggestions? And yes I read on their website about their USB connection and their dislike of it. Not just theirs but USB in general I believe is what they were talking about.

So far so good on the DAC. Transport from my CD5004 sounds good via SPDIF. Some recordings from the PC sound better than others and is the result of the ripping process, computer not being dedicated, some settings, and other factors I am sure. We are still experimenting with it a bit and he will continue to do so when he arrives back at home.

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    The Schiit is a very good DAC, and they've got an even better one in the works. My biggest problem with the Bifrost is their somewhat half-assed implementation of USB. They're not a big fan of USB and while their implementation is decent, it's not great. They will tell you (and they're correct) that the spdif input is better than the USB. If playing files from a computer, having a good usb to spdif converter in the mix is really a necessity.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Yeah those guys are a bit old school in that they haven't embraced USB yet. I happen to disagree with them on that point, I think USB can be properly done if the work is put into it.

There are several converters on the market. My Musical Fidelity V-Link does a superb job, but have heard the the Audio-GD model is very good as well.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (23)

M2tech is a great bang for the buck. Coax or bnc options. But you'd even surprised by some motherboards with coax out. In some case inboard could best a sub-par USB implementation.

You would not happen to like guacamole would you?

Thanks for the heads up and I will take a look at the M2tech.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorcilantro View Post
    M2tech is a great bang for the buck. Coax or bnc options. But you'd even surprised by some motherboards with coax out. In some case inboard could best a sub-par USB implementation.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

That looks great. I love the look of the pre. I'm sure it sounds fantastic.
    CD Player: Original CD-A8T
    Receiver: Harman/Kardon HK3390
    Speakers: Polk Audio RT1000p
    "I would rather have a cup of tone than an ocean of power" **Dr. Harvey Rosenberg**

Thread Information