Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Question Best 2 Ch. Power Amp. To Power POLK Audio RTi A9's Under $1000.00 New & $500 Used.

I need an Amp. to cut down on the Bright/Harshness, Something Warmish Sounding..

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by AVTONY2510 View Post
    I need an Amp. to cut down on the Bright/Harshness, Something Warmish Sounding..
    Save your money and get a tube pre-amp or a tube buffer.....tubes rule,imho

Emotiva XPA-2 $800
    YAQIN CD2-6J1 Tube Buffer $120
    leftover money on preferred tubes

Enjoy!

Smallies has a Parasound HCA1200ii for 3 or 4 hundred i seen in endershadows looking for 2 chanel amp for LSi15 thread.

Parasound HCA 1500A gets my vote. Can be had for around $400.
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : Oppo BDP-103 : Roku 3 : Denon AVR-2808Ci : Definitive Tech ProMonitor 800 R&L : ProCenter 1000 : Polk FXi 3 Surrounds : Twin Velodyne SPL 10 Series II's :

2Ch:
    Polk LSi 9's : Parasound HCA 1500A : Pro-Ject Debut Carbon : Cambridge 640P Phono Stage : Musical Fidelity M1 S DAC : APC H15 : MacBook Pro Retina :

Quote Originally Posted by Upstatemax View Post
    Parasound HCA 1500A gets my vote. Can be had for around $400.
    Better yet, if ya can find one. I love mine too !!

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Adcom GFA-5802
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Quote Originally Posted by AVTONY2510 View Post
    Try some acoustic panels behind the speakers, and maybe at reflection points, or get some different speakers. I placed a 2'x2' panel of Auralex acoustic foam behind each of my speakers at tweeter height in the two channel system, and that took the edge off without losing any quality.

I answered this question when you first asked about amps in your bi-wire thread.
    Draggn' knee is exhilarating, 150mph wheel standers are pretty cool too

Home Theater-7.2
    Display-SamsungPN64D8000 | Receiver-Onkyo TX-NR807 | Source-OPPOBDP-103 | Amplifiers-Emotiva; XPA-2 x2, XPA-3 | Speakers: PolkAudio; mains-RTiA9, rears-RTiA9, center-CSiA6, surrounds-FXiA6 | Sub-Epik Empire x 2 | Interconnects-Emotiva

Cans
    Grado RS2i

2 Ch Rig
    First purchase will be; a pair of ? but I'd love a pair of SDA SRS

Quote Originally Posted by Toolfan66 View Post
    Adcom GFA-5802
    You preach that regularly! Must be near & dear . . . . I can't wait to hear my newly acquired 5802 matched with the SDA SRS II's and the good Adcom GCD-700 . . .ALL I NEED is a QUALITY transformer/AI-1. . . I'm done. Enjoy your week . . .
    Mains Polk SDA SRS 2 (modified) Sub M&K MX-100
    Power Pass Aleph 30 & Adcom GFA 5802
    Power Conditioner Furman Elite 15 PF i
    Rears Definitive Technology BP-2
    Center Definitive Technology C-1
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    Pre Cary SLP-98 Hot Rod
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Source Oppo 105
    Wires MIT S3.3

Quote Originally Posted by GlennDog View Post
    You preach that regularly! Must be near & dear . . . . I can't wait to hear my newly acquired 5802 matched with the SDA SRS II's and the good Adcom GCD-700 . . .ALL I NEED is a QUALITY transformer/AI-1. . . I'm done. Enjoy your week . . .
    Done? That is not a word I know....

Hi Brunk,
    I have 2 RTi-A9 for my front with the XPA-2 for them and the XPA-3 for my center and surround.
    My question is, what is the YAQIN tube buffer ? I mean, is this for your RTiA9 ?

The last thing I would personally pair with them is Emotiva if you are looking for warmth. Emo's are not warm sounding at all.

My suggestion would be the Parasound suggested above, B&K, Rotel or Adcom. Any of which will get you some great sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Smith View Post
    WOW!

That's like working your way through Katie Perry in order to get to Rosie O'Donnell.

Quote Originally Posted by pietro944 View Post
    Save your money and get a tube pre-amp or a tube buffer.....tubes rule,imho
    tubes are the biggest audio scam in the audio world, but I like it because the people that buy that crap get what they deserve : )

and @ Joe, an amp that has no distortion cannot sound bright or harsh or shmellow. In order for an amp to sound 'warm', like some tube amps do, admittedly, the amp must have distortion on the high end. And while Emotiva has measurably higher distortion than any good name amp, these differences are mostly on paper and not something that human ear can pick up. At least not on blind tests lol :)

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by ravaneli View Post
    tubes are the biggest audio scam in the audio world, but I like it because the people that buy that crap get what they deserve : )
    Seems that you have no clue what you are talking about...

and @ Joe, an amp that has no distortion cannot sound bright or harsh or shmellow. In order for an amp to sound 'warm', like some tube amps do, admittedly, the amp must have distortion on the high end. And while Emotiva has measurably higher distortion than any good name amp, these differences are mostly on paper and not something that human ear can pick up. At least not on blind tests lol :)
    Further proof that you don't know what you are speaking about.
    Last edited by nooshinjohn; 06-12-2012 at 12:32 PM.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

at OP, the A9s will sound better with the amp that gives them the most power. EMO XPA 2 will probably sound better than all other suggestions, although the other amps have less distortion. The XPA 2 will give u extra headroom and dynamics that these speakers need.
    I personally would buy a behringer europower 400 that can be had for 300 on the bay. 500W @ 8 ohm will juice these puppies like they deserve, and the sound was great to my ears (i tried it with my A7s). You just need to install a small potenciometer to regulate the fan on the back. costs $2 on the bay too.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

at OP, the A9s will sound better with the amp that gives them the most power.
    This is so untrue. So is a lot else of what you've stated here.

OP: take his advice at your own risk.
    2-Channel:

Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

HT:

Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

Someone needs an edumacation in audio.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (12)

at OP, the A9s will sound better with the amp that gives them the most power. EMO XPA 2 will probably sound better than all other suggestions, although the other amps have less distortion. The XPA 2 will give u extra headroom and dynamics that these speakers need.
    I personally would buy a behringer europower 400 that can be had for 300 on the bay. 500W @ 8 ohm will juice these puppies like they deserve, and the sound was great to my ears (i tried it with my A7s). You just need to install a small potenciometer to regulate the fan on the back. costs $2 on the bay too.
    Way to prove yet again raveneli that you are dead wrong. I think AVS is missing an inmate.

Every word of this post is completely wrong, and bordering on complete BS. Behringer is not a very good amp for HT or two channel, though they excel at P.A systems, for which they were designed. If you can swing the coin, an amazing fit for the a9's IMHO would be a Sunfire 300/2, Carver TFM-25 thru 45, Parasound A23, and the Adcoms mentioned above. As was also stated, taking raveneli's advice would be a huge mistake. If he says the sky is freekin' blue, I would look out my window just to make sure.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Huh? Dude are you serious?
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan EM ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, MIT AVT2 SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', Sony BDP S-790, Airport Express

Bedroom: Panasonic AX200U projector, 110" screen

Outdoor: Polk Atrium 5's, Yamaha Rxv371

To the original poster. Please do not listen to the rantings of the lunatic known as Ravaneli. He is completely wrong. And if you search other posts of his you will see it for yourself.

Nothing in audio beats the warm sound of Tubes and Pro Amps do not have good audio quality.
    WOW!

That's like working your way through Katie Perry in order to get to Rosie O'Donnell.

Hey, that's just my opinion, sorry for not posting that disclaimer but thought that's obvious. It's good for people to know that other opinions do exist though.

I for one have always found extraordinary that the horrible distortion of the tube amps is praised for quality and people shell dearly earned money to buy that crap that needs to be serviced more often than a car from the 70s. I guess some distortion 'good' and some is bad. Nobody here can tell me that tubes have true sound though. U can use your subjective bullsh1t terms like 'warm', 'mellow', or how about 'liquid', but if you have ever looked at the distortion ratings of a tube amp u can never say it's true.

Have you ever heard a nice Tube amp? Probably not. You believe specs tell the whole story. And giving your opinion or bashing someone for theres are two different things.

And no you do not need to service tube amps more than a 70's car. They are built better than most electronics nowadays and just sound better.

Until you understand what Warm, Smooth, Liquid, Clean or Distorted actually mean, you will never understand what we are talking about. Just cause it's louder doesn't mean its better. And specs only tell part of the story.

PS using a number 1 instead of the letter i is still cursing as far as I am concerned. Take it easy and mess up your own thread not someone elses.
    WOW!

Ravioli, have you ever had tubes in YOUR system? Just curious. I had a harder time discerning what tubes really did until I got them into my own system. After getting a taste, tubes are the only thing I want to use for 2 channel.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

i was on my way of buying a tube preamp and started reading about them and that's how I found out the truth about them. Luckily i researched this time before jumping. You are saying they sound nice, I say to you they distort so much that any solid state amp with such ratings would be condemned as complete junk. Notice that there is a way that we are both right. People tend to like mellow highs and tube amps tend to have distortion that is just lower db on the higher end, so human ear perceives it as euphonic. There is nothing wrong with that, as long as you realize it and don't mind the extra cost. But you should be honest to yourself and realize that you are not listening to a true reproduction of the actual recording.

And no need to call me lunatic and ravioli. Believe me, I think no higher of you that you do of me. Now, if we are face to face, then u can call me anything u want. But here.. why don't you show u can do a dialogue without supporting your arguments with insults.

OK. Keep reading then. That's my favorite way to listen.

i was on my way of buying a tube preamp and started reading about them and that's how I found out the truth about them. Luckily i researched this time before jumping.
    So, in other words you have no experience, yet know everything. Isn't that the same logic you use to rail and rant against speaker cables and power cords?

why so pissed? I actually said that they sound 'euphonic'. Why do u take it personal? I said they sound nice but they have very high distortion, and it's not me who measured the distortion, that's how it's reported everywhere. Well if something has (audible) distortion, it doesn't portray a true picture of the recording, even if it sounds nice to you. What here makes u pull the knives?

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    So, in other words you have no experience, yet know everything.
    +1000

effing armchair quarterback over here needs to spend some serious time and dedication listening to different products before forming an opinion. I've dedicated a lot of my time, energy, and money to listen to, evaluate, and come to my own conclusions about many pieces of gear... so it's really annoying when someone who is not willing to put the effort into conducting comparisons on his own starts preaching based on what he's read about stuff. Seriously?! Based on what you've read about stuff?! That is so insulting to the members here who have spent, literally, large parts of their lives figuring things out for themselves. There is no substitute for first hand experience.

Go spew your myths at a boy's theoretical forum. This here is a man's forum. It's for men who do things, not for boys who read about men who do things.

Out.
    Last edited by Kenneth Swauger; 06-13-2012 at 07:43 AM.
    2-Channel:

Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

HT:

Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003