Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Thumbs up Rush Clockwork Angels

For all of you Rush Fans out there check this one out. I've listened through the cd a couple times now and I'm really digging this one. It has a very hard edge to it and the musicianship is incredible, even by Rush standards. I think they have a winner on their hands with this one.

Administrator
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

Did you notice how the clock on the album cover is set to 9:12? That's 21:12 in military time, baby!

I didn't notice that but now that you mention it, I see it now. That's pretty appropriate. It has a 2112 esque feel in many ways. Good work!

I really like it, listened two it a few times already. I still think the first through Moving pictures are thier best but this one and snakes and Arrows have got me into Rush again. This one is very good, I like the 2112 reference on the cover but 2112 this one is not. It is worth a purchase.

I guess what I was trying to convey is that it has aspects of it that are 2112 esque in many ways such as it's heaviness, longer songs, and the fact that it's a concept album. Personally I think this album can hang right up there with the classics and will end up being a classic itself it there is any justice left in the world.

There is never any justice when it comes to RUSH, especially in the music industry

Its all about their fans because no one else seems to give them respect
    Last edited by kidglove13; 06-14-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfish View Post
    I guess what I was trying to convey is that it has aspects of it that are 2112 esque in many ways such as it's heaviness, longer songs, and the fact that it's a concept album. Personally I think this album can hang right up there with the classics and will end up being a classic itself it there is any justice left in the world.
    This, and other insider comments can be verified by listening to Geddy and Alex in their interview yesterday on CBC radio. Go here for details

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/20...-lee-rush.html

where's Neil?
    Mains Polk SDA SRS 2 (modified) Sub M&K MX-100
    Power Pass Aleph 30 & Adcom GFA 5802
    Power Conditioner Furman Elite 15 PF i
    Rears Definitive Technology BP-2
    Center Definitive Technology C-1
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    Pre Cary SLP-98 Hot Rod
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Source Oppo 105
    Wires MIT S3.3

Member Sales Rating: (49)

I will pick this up this weekend..
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kidglove13 View Post
    There is never any justice when it comes to RUSH, especially in the music industry

Its all about their fans because no one else seems to give them respect
    Indeed. Kinda like Polk in the audio industry The sound quality of later Rush albums seemed to be a bit bright and thin to me, almost spacey. How does this recording sound in comparison to older stuff SQ wise?
    "My wife likes my rig......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!"

B&W CDM 1NT; B&W CDM CNT; Infinity us 1; Velodyne DEQ-8 x2; Pio Elite VSX-23; Sony SCD-CE595 SACD, Marantz CD5001, [/COLOR]

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I've never found the recording quality on any of their albums to be superb, this one is no exception.

This one is recorded pretty hot. The compression on the top end isn't too bad, but it's there.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_S View Post
    Did you notice how the clock on the album cover is set to 9:12? That's 21:12 in military time, baby!
    I didn't notice that either. But I did hear in an interview where Lee compares this album to 2112 and Moving Pictures as his three favorite Rush albums.
    --Gary--

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    I've never found the recording quality on any of their albums to be superb, this one is no exception.

This one is recorded pretty hot. The compression on the top end isn't too bad, but it's there.
    I too have never found the quality of their recordings that great either, I thought it was just me, at least I am not the only one.

A couple of their albums sound good but the majority are ok

To me it also seems the recordings lack in the low end

Live is where they really shine, they sound incredible in concert, it is almost to perfect sometimes

They are super tight

But either way they still rock

It's hard for me to say exactly how the sound quality stacks up because I have an ederly couple who live below me at my work apartment and I have been working late this week. I haven't had a chance to crank it up a little yet and have been listening at pretty low volumes. I will say this about it though, the SDA effect is in full force with this album. A lot of the songs, especially the intros have a lot of background sound effects going on and I've been getting as pronounced of a SDA effect with this album as any I've listened to. I can't wait to crank it up!

Thats good to know.
    I need to get this

Alot of their other albums suck on the SDA effect for some reason, Moving Pictures is pretty good on the SDA effect

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Been reading a lot of posts on this over on the Hoffman forum - general consensus is that it's another hot and compressed mess and that the vinyl version is your best bet.....

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

That's good to know. I just ordered a copy on vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by kidglove13 View Post
    Thats good to know.
    I need to get this

Alot of their other albums suck on the SDA effect for some reason, Moving Pictures is pretty good on the SDA effect
    Suck?? On SDA's?? I personally think they shine on the SDA's especially on vinyl??

Finally got the album and have listened to it twice. I dig a few songs for sure.

I agree on the compression part... some parts in songs seemed smeared even...

Quote Originally Posted by Toolfan66 View Post
    Suck?? On SDA's?? I personally think they shine on the SDA's especially on vinyl??
    On vinyl I can see that, but on CD some of the albums just suck sound wise.

But, not all of them, some of them sound awesome on the SDA's

I have not done the vinyl thing yet, working on it.

I just picked this up on vinyl today it also comes with a download in high quality audio, I will let you all know how it sounds when I download it..

Picked up a few other gems today as well. I have Roxy Music playing now..

Quote Originally Posted by Toolfan66 View Post
    a download in high quality audio
    Is it the CD in FLAC format or an actual hi-res (Higher then CD) copy of the album?

Not sure but I will post about it when I do..

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by Drenis View Post
    Is it the CD in FLAC format or an actual hi-res (Higher then CD) copy of the album?
    Believe I read at SteveHoffman that it's Redbook not higher res...

The sound quality is not bad at all. From a fan point of view, this is the best they have put out since Moving Pictures. I really like this album - kind of hard to believe these are 3 guys in their 50's making this awesome music....Kind of makes you appreciate it more.

I have been listening to this album through my PSB headphones and NuForce HDP amplifier and for the most part the recordings are really good. I did notice a few spots where it seemed they went a little overboard with the mix of bass and guitar but overall, it sounds really good compared to a lot of albums I have heard.
    Last edited by KYFHO; 06-24-2012 at 10:37 AM.
    Panasonic TC-P65ST30 (65" HD 3D), OPPO BDP-95 Blu-ray, Denon AVR 4310CI, Parasound A23, Carver AV-705X, Polk RTi A7, CSi A4, FXi A4, & RTi A3, Klipsch Sub 12 (Saving for an SVS), Panamax M5100

I have to wonder if we're listening to the same album. It's not HORRIBLE, but this album is obviously recorded hot and the compression is also pretty obvious. To be clear I'm not commenting on the mix but the actual quality of the recording. The mix is mostly fine and that's why the vinyl version seems to be ok from what I've read, I"d love to hear a proper rip of that version.

I really like the album, probably the best thing they've done in over 30 years.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Oops, duplicate post
    Last edited by AsSiMiLaTeD; 06-24-2012 at 11:12 AM.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

I've finally had a chance to listen to this album at more moderate volumes and the recording sound quality is ok. Definitely not the best I've heard. It's certainly better than the last few albums though. Listening to it in the vehicle over a solid state car system, I really didn't like how it sounded. Now that I've heard it a few times on my work apartment system through a tube pre and tube amp with SDAs, it sounds pretty darn good! Tubes really help out with the slightly hot mix this album was recorded at. I can't wait to hear it on vinyl. I got my copy on vinyl a couple of days ago, but I'm going to have to wait till I get home to GA to spin it on the turntable. I'm really enjoying this album from a musical, song-writing, and overall point of view. I really do think it's one of their best. It's just to bad they can't get someone in the studio with them who actually knows how to record at the level these guys deserve!

Hmmm, I see that HDTracks has this on hi-res. Does anyone know if their version is any good? I wonder if it's a vinyl rip or just a higher rez of the CD version.
    Main HT

Bedroom System

Office Rig

Nevermind, the HD Tracks version is squashed as well

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/details.php?id=22223
    Main HT

Bedroom System

Office Rig

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    Nevermind, the HD Tracks version is squashed as well

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/details.php?id=22223
    Betcha it would sound really good on an audiophile MP3 system with earbuds!

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Thread Information