Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Default Martin Logan Monolith MkIII opinions?

Found a pair of these locally in mediocre shape that need to be (except for the panels) completely rebuilt from the crossovers up.

I am unable to get ears on them because they are completely dis-assembled, and the woofers are shot, needing to have the surrounds redone at a minimum. Once these are restored, what would I expect to hear from them sound-wise, and would they be worth the time to put back together even?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I'd suspect if they've got some age on them, you'd be better off passing. If the rest of the speaker is torn to hell, I wouldn't expect much more from the panels, and that's the most important/expensive part of the speaker.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

RUMOR REPORT: Not confirmed!

I heard that Martin-Logan dumped all their spare parts for older speakers, and the customer service took a tumble. Anyone else hear similar?

You would be better off with a QuAD Stack system!!

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    I'd suspect if they've got some age on them, you'd be better off passing. If the rest of the speaker is torn to hell, I wouldn't expect much more from the panels, and that's the most important/expensive part of the speaker.
    Panels are new-in-the-box already from Martin Logan.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Member Sales Rating: (1)

John those speakers are proper money pits and the price of a woofer should it fail will be in the thousands and all the parts are crazy expensive for not that much in return. All the new lines have smaller panels but the new panels put out twice as much sound per square inch due to the new design in the perforation of the mylar. My opinion is that if you want some logans then seek out a pair of used summit for under 5k.

The bonus thing about the speakers your looking at is if those panels are brand new because your talking a couple of grand for those.

A friend of mine had those same speakers and finally sold them after a panel failure
    He's running some old quads which are much more robust, heck they are 40yrs old with no failures except a HV cap

Thread Information