Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Be careful the, EE mini max is tube based and tubes can make or break a unit. I try to never compare tubes vs. solid state stuff. Too many variables when it comes to tube gear and the endless variation of tubes. Luckily the Mini Max uses the same type tube for both positions (12AU7) , but then you have the rectifier tube to deal with and those can vary greatly. Unless you are really interested in tube rolling, tube gear may not be where it's at. All that said, no harm in listening to as many as possible. Just keep that in mind.

H9
    EE has both tube and solid state output. From folks who have EE they seem to prefer the solid state output with Dexa op. At one point Bill O'Connell was selling units with Dexa directly. There is a long thread on audiocircle discussing various variations on options that folks have tried with EE

Member Sales Rating: (16)

I could see some preferring the ss if they only use stock tubes, but roll in some excellent tubes and I can't see the bias still be SS. But A) I haven't heard one B) I'm a tube guy who rolls a lot of tubes.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

I want mostly the EE for it's SS, although there seems to be a consensus that the Psvane 12AX7 (?) is the way to go on this unit if you are into tube rolling. I am only interested in USB. I hear that the EE is pretty good with that. Most EE owners, at least on the original, agree that pulling the tube out gets the best sound. Although, I think I've read that the new one, the DAC PLUS, is much superior on the tube circuit compared to the original EE.
    Living Room: HK AVR 354 as pre/pro, 2 x Polk Audio Micropro 4000, Adcom GFA-7500, 2 x Mirage OMD-15
    2 x Mirage OMD-5, 1 x Mirage OMD-C1, APC H15, Sony S790, Philips 52" LCD, Beogram 3000, FAT (Firestone Audio Tobby DAC), Harmony One

Den: Sherwood R-972,as pre/pro, 2 x Velodyne SPL-1000R, 3 x Crown Drivecore XLS1500, 2 x Polk Audio Lsi9
    1 x Polk Audio Lsic, 2 x Polk Audio Lsifx, Sony S790, APC H15, Dspeaker Dual Core 2.0, W4S DAC 2, Keces DA-151

Member Sales Rating: (16)

The Psvane really isn't that special. But I was completely thinking of a different piece for some reason I had a brain fart and was picturing the tube pre-amp.

Carry on

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Or is that "Roll On" lol. H9, since you have a Keces too, I just wanted to tell you that with my Crown XLS1500 power amp the Keces can becomes a pre-amp. Back last August I had an opportunity to sit down and drink a beer with Andrew Robinson of Home Theater Magazine. I was surprised to find out that he uses Crown Drive Core XLS series pro amps to power the Pendragons that he ownsAnd as you might imagine, Andrew has owned about every power amp imaginable. Well, I ended up with one and it really is an awesome amp. Recently, when a/bing the W4S DAC 2 with the Keces, I would have to turn my receiver's volume down about -20 clicks to match the output of the Keces with that of the DAC 2. This got me to thinking about the Keces being able to drive a power amp. One of the beauties of the Crown is external dual volume controls. I plugged the Keces directly into the Crown and wow! It worked very well. It's a little bit of a hassle to control the volume manually on the power amp, but to me it's not really that big of a deal. Bottom line.....I'm both amazed and kinda blown away by discovering this. I've focused on the DAC shootout thing right now. Hopefully later I will get the time to A/B the Keces direct to amp vs Sherwood then to amp. The Keces is still continuing to impress! It can make a great preamp with the right power amp like this.
    Living Room: HK AVR 354 as pre/pro, 2 x Polk Audio Micropro 4000, Adcom GFA-7500, 2 x Mirage OMD-15
    2 x Mirage OMD-5, 1 x Mirage OMD-C1, APC H15, Sony S790, Philips 52" LCD, Beogram 3000, FAT (Firestone Audio Tobby DAC), Harmony One

Den: Sherwood R-972,as pre/pro, 2 x Velodyne SPL-1000R, 3 x Crown Drivecore XLS1500, 2 x Polk Audio Lsi9
    1 x Polk Audio Lsic, 2 x Polk Audio Lsifx, Sony S790, APC H15, Dspeaker Dual Core 2.0, W4S DAC 2, Keces DA-151

Member Sales Rating: (1)

How about a little review of your observations between the Keces and W4S.

Hey Tony that is coming. But I want to trade or sell the W4S first. You'll see why in my review.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Just curious my friend, what are you using as a source for the tunes ? CDP, Computer, PS3, BDP ?

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Discount DAAAAABLE check? LOL

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Thread Information