Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default What value resistors in Monitor 5A?

Hi All,

First post here. I want to upgrade the crossovers on some 5A's I just got, but I'm wondering what's up. I'm seeing contradictory values for the resistors. Other guys' 5A crossovers have different values, and so do my Monitor 7's.

These 5A's have a 2.5 ohm and a 6.2 ohm resistor (both 10% 5W)

I've seen some 5A's with 2.5 and 2.7. My Monitor 7's have 2.5 and 4.5 and have the same woofers as my new 5A's. (MW6500 and peerless tweeters.) So what about the 6.2 ohm resistors?

I intend to upgrade with a 12uf 1% poly cap, and for the other, parallel two 17uf electrolytics with a poly bypass. (I did this on my 7's)

Why the discrepancy?

Thanks,
    Steve

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by stevepe View Post
    Hi All,

First post here. I want to upgrade the crossovers on some 5A's I just got, but I'm wondering what's up. I'm seeing contradictory values for the resistors. Other guys' 5A crossovers have different values, and so do my Monitor 7's.

These 5A's have a 2.5 ohm and a 6.2 ohm resistor (both 10% 5W)

I've seen some 5A's with 2.5 and 2.7. My Monitor 7's have 2.5 and 4.5 and have the same woofers as my new 5A's. (MW6500 and peerless tweeters.) So what about the 6.2 ohm resistors?

I intend to upgrade with a 12uf 1% poly cap, and for the other, parallel two 17uf electrolytics with a poly bypass. (I did this on my 7's)

Why the discrepancy?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Polk had many incarnations of the M5s. I ran into the same problem when recapping my M5s which were an early model. None of the published schematics matched my crossover, nor did the listed drivers match what I had. Mine came with SL1000 8 ohm Polk Tweeters, and MW6500 8 ohm woofers. All the schematics show an MW6502 which is a 4 ohm woofer. Your best bet IMHO, is to replace with the exact same value. The Peerless Tweeters required different values than the SL1000/2000/2500 that came later.
    Providing they're in perfect working order, the Peerless have a wonderfull sound to them, and no need to attemp to upgrade them to the RDO series.
    BTW, while you have everything open, you might want to consider upgrading the resistors with some quality Mills resistors. The Wire-wound ceramics Polk used were mediocre at best.
    Last edited by westmassguy; 07-02-2012 at 10:31 AM.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL
    Center: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hannel-Project
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...rround-Project
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat & Hurricane Nuts.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350
    Other:
    SDA-CRS+
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals, Custom Rebuilt Equalizer
    www.dhsspeakerservice.com

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by westmassguy View Post
    BTW, while you have everything open, you might want to consider upgrading the resistors with some quality Mills resistors. The Wire-wound ceramics Polk used were mediocre at best.
    Yes Mills resistors to replace factory and forget that electrolytic and poly bypass just put in good poly's and call it a day. clearity cap or Sonicap are highly recommended

Thread Information