Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
    Kittehs and moving reel to reel tape are not a good combination; don't ask me how I know this.
    I can imagine! Nice DIY flexi rack, although it doesn't look like it would flex at all.

I trust my cat more with my audio gear than some people I know. He has good listening taste as well.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Our pair o'kittehs are OK in general around the hifi - but Zappa did once, as implied above, make a move on a playing tape one day with predictable results.

... and back on topic...

all the best,
    mrh

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Lafayette LR 4000 quad receiver from 1973

Here's some nudie pics of my Lafayette LR 4000. Removed the covers the other day to clean out and work on the controls with deoxit. After going thru it, still has some issues with the back L channel (no sound) and I don't have anything quad capable to hook into the 4 ch inputs to test throughly. Tried a portable cd player but only got sound out of the right side using two of the four connections. Wish I hadn't sold my quad Reel to Reel so I could further test it.

It sounds really nice with a great tuner and decent phono section. Only 40 WPC but seems to have some weight behind it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1911.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	76447Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1914.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	76448Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1915.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	398.0 KB
ID:	76449

Default My closet collection of Technics turntables

Think I have a few too many. It's time to thin out the heard a little. The SL1600 is staying, but I have a couple of SL23's a SL DL5, SL 5, SL J3, and a SL 1900 that I need to put on CL and find a new home.

Name:	IMG_1895.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	433.0 KB
ID:	76450Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1896.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	76451Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1897.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	431.7 KB
ID:	76452Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1898.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	513.2 KB
ID:	76453
    Polk LSiM 703's
    Polk CS2
    Insignia NS-B2111 surrounds
    Onkyo TX-SR706 HT AVR
    Rotel 981amp
    Technics 1600 turntable
    PS3 BDP
    Pioneer BDP-51
    Denon 2910 SACD player
    Samsung LN40C530 LCD

Quote Originally Posted by TNHNDYMAN View Post
    Here's some nudie pics of my Lafayette LR 4000. Removed the covers the other day to clean out and work on the controls with deoxit. After going thru it, still has some issues with the back L channel (no sound) and I don't have anything quad capable to hook into the 4 ch inputs to test throughly. Tried a portable cd player but only got sound out of the right side using two of the four connections. Wish I hadn't sold my quad Reel to Reel so I could further test it.

It sounds really nice with a great tuner and decent phono section. Only 40 WPC but seems to have some weight behind it.

Attachment 76447Attachment 76448Attachment 76449
    That's a very cool piece! Talk about a "below the radar" piece of hardware. :-)

Did you know she was the 1973 cover girl for LRE?

all the best,
    mrh

Check this out: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/ele/3347739809.html

Never heard of this model before, but then again I'm not a Sansui expert. 220 wpc separates (pre amp/tuner, PA). Must have been Sansui's top 'o the line.

No affiliation, only a curious bystander
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

^ That is one of the top 2 big boy Sansui pieces, but his price is way out of line. $1200-1500 depending on condition would be in the ballpark of reality. People are paying crazy money for them though, so maybe he'll get it.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

That particular market is on the other side of sanity. Like the JVC boombox that went for $4000 a while back!

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Actually, if memory serves, there was a Sansui G-33000 which was even a notch above the G-22000.

These Sansuis, the Technics SA-1000, the Marantz 2600, the Pioneer SA-1980, and a few other behemoths, were like the apatosaurs at the end of the Age of Dinosaurs, lumbering across the landscape just before the asteroid (or economic downturn/decrease in value of the dollar relative to the yen, and other socioeconomic changes) hit :-)
    all the best,
    mrh

Default Kenwood KR 9600

Don't have any of those moster receivers; however, I do have Kenwood's not too shabby KR9600- 160 WPC of sonic thunder. Picked up from my uncle last Christmas. All original, lights working, very little noise, and uncommon wood case. It did certainly make the JBL L100's dance

Name:	IMG_9384.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	421.1 KB
ID:	76481Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9386.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	446.9 KB
ID:	76482Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9398.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	76483

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

The 9600 is definitely considered Monster class, though not as big or heavy as the Sansui above. That was pretty much TOTL for Kenwood at one point. A very nice piece. I have a much lower KR 5400 I occasionally use with some old Wharfdale bookies to stream some Pandora, listen to the college FM station, etc. Those Kenwoods also have "nice" tuners in them.

A nice match for classic JBLs. There are a "few" of us that appreciate that old JBL R&R sound, here.

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 10-18-2012 at 09:42 PM.
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Member Sales Rating: (55)

And there's a few of us that appreciate more listenable loudspeakers.

more listenable than...?

I actually prefer to listen to my loudspeakers, too... given the average cosmetic values of most of 'em around here, they fare much better aurally than visually!

Here's a cogent example - ugly as sin but they sound really very good... 'specially for the 10 bucks the pair cost at a charity fleamarket in a nearby town...

Gonna cosmetically rehab these someday...
    all the best,
    mrh

another truly, deeply profoundly ugly pair of loudspeaker foundlings from my favorite local emporium... they sounded just fine, though.

I literally couldn't give them away, and I got a nicer pair, so I actually ended up parting these out in (partial) barter for some ReVox reel to reel tape deck work to a fine, talented fellow who was, at the time, rebuilding a pair of Cello Amatis. A fitting fate for the fine drivers... but still kind of sad.
    all the best,
    mrh

Quote Originally Posted by George Grand View Post
    And there's a few of us that appreciate more listenable loudspeakers.
    The JBL's were not my cup of tea either. I traded them to a guy near Knoxville for a couple hundred bucks and 2 older Pioneer turntables- a PL-15D and PL-A35.

Mr. H- ^

I recognize the Time Window's. Was the other pair AR-3's? I had a pair of the KLH SIX's that were a little rough around the edges but sounded very nice to me. Sold those to romeo23 and then picked up a pair of KLH 23's in better shape.

My DQ's ... they've been in the closet for a while but I may have to pull them out again and take a listen Click image for larger version

Name:	PA180038.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	458.0 KB
ID:	76486Click image for larger version

Name:	PA180030.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	378.4 KB
ID:	76487

edit - please ignore the large squash sitting atop my subwoofer...
    Last edited by ambiophonics; 10-19-2012 at 12:55 AM. Reason: squash!
    Polk SDA-2B, Yamaha R-S700, Yamaha CDX-530, Apple TV, Samsung Plasma, Fiio D3 DA converter (Apple TV), Cambridge Soundworks Model 88 Radio (Bedroom).

The JBL's were not my cup of tea either. I traded them to a guy near Knoxville for a couple hundred bucks and 2 older Pioneer turntables- a PL-15D and PL-A35.
    I feel (FWIW) that many JBL loudspeakers, as well as most of the heritage Klipsch products, likely violate the Geneva Convention and might reasonably be considered as instruments of terror if misused.

Mr. H- ^

I recognize the Time Window's. Was the other pair AR-3's? I had a pair of the KLH SIX's that were a little rough around the edges but sounded very nice to me. Sold those to romeo23 and then picked up a pair of KLH 23's in better shape.

Yup and yup, respectively.
    My KLH Sixes aren't quite as rough as the above, but I've never taken a photo of 'em AFAIK.

Here's a single KLH Five that drifted through here a while back; nice speaker but having one is not particularly value-added (it's just not the kind of loudspeaker one would build an "audiophile" mono system around). I traded the KLH Five for a pair of EV Model Fours. The latter looked really nice but sounded disappointingly mediocre, so they're long gone.

Last edited by mhardy6647; 10-19-2012 at 09:43 AM.
    all the best,
    mrh

Quote Originally Posted by ambiophonics View Post
    My DQ's ... they've been in the closet for a while but I may have to pull them out again and take a listen Attachment 76486Attachment 76487

edit - please ignore the large squash sitting atop my subwoofer...
    Two thoughts come to mind:

1) perhaps the squash (I believe that's actually a baking pumpkin, isn't it?) adds critical damping to the subwoofer enclosure?

2) if that's not its purpose - my reaction is more along the lines of "don't ask, don't tell" ;-)
    all the best,
    mrh

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
    Two thoughts come to mind:

1) perhaps the squash (I believe that's actually a baking pumpkin, isn't it?) adds critical damping to the subwoofer enclosure?

2) if that's not its purpose - my reaction is more along the lines of "don't ask, don't tell" ;-)

I think you may be on to something with the critical damping idea... the bass used to sound very "squashed" and enemic, now it is much more grounded and smooth like "butter"

The guy at the farmer's market said it was a butternut squash - the lady friend was going to make some soup with it!
    Polk SDA-2B, Yamaha R-S700, Yamaha CDX-530, Apple TV, Samsung Plasma, Fiio D3 DA converter (Apple TV), Cambridge Soundworks Model 88 Radio (Bedroom).

Boy those DQs (a nice speaker sound-wise) sure look fugly without their grills! Better keep those drivers hidden.

I know JBLs are not big on this site, I'm aware of what George and Mark are alluding to above. And to be honest, my favorites are really various '80s monitor versions with the pure titanium dome tweeter which I do think was a tech. move forward for them. And I have a set of those. But other than running those on tubes, I mostly listen to my vintage speakers.

I've never heard a set of KLH 5s but I have 4 Nova 8s (which I gather are imitation 5s sitting in the dinning room of a friend down south-will pick those up eventually, probably only need two, sorry to hear mhardy give the 5s a meh!).

But I have hooked up a pair of Nova 7Bs today. And I'm fairly pleased with their sound. Some of these classic Realistic attempted reproduction of KLH aren't bad! If I had a better camera I'd put up some pics! So here is a stock photo:

cnh
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by cnh; 10-19-2012 at 12:15 PM.

I must have not been too clear. The KLH Five is an excellent speaker; very possibly the best all-around Henry Kloss KLH-era effort.
    Having ONE of them is kind of meh :-P

The PAIR of EV Fours... those were meh. Very meh. A single one of those would be even meh-er.

Clearer? ;-)
    all the best,
    mrh

meh be

For completeness, the EV Fours.

In the interest of disclosure, one of the midrange horns was MIA as this cosmetically nice looking pair of speakers was received. Listening to the fully intact one was not all that impressive, so I ahem took the liberty of investing in a pair of really cheap "Gemsound" brand compression midranges ($5.99 a piece!) available on special from MCM at the time. They were drop in fits and (in all honesty) didn't sound much different than the rather uninspiring AlNiCo compression driver that EV put in the Fours originally.

original EV MR driver/horn:

Gemsound horn and driver (actually a fairly beefy compression driver, 'specially for six bucks):

(note that the EV woofer is a 'component woofer' version of the later cast basket EV SP12B/TRX12B drivers - sans the paint job)

I sold the Fours with the ghetto MRs as well as a single EV MR horn/driver for a pittance (and with no regrets).
    Last edited by mhardy6647; 10-19-2012 at 08:24 PM.
    all the best,
    mrh

Member Sales Rating: (8)

At a comfortable distance.... gaining perspective

This appears to be somewhat vintage. Such a stylish curve on the tonearm.

It's a Maggotbox - and that's a Collaro changer.
    This one appears to be a soiled state, "Astro-Sonic" model... one of its vacuum tube forebears dwells in my basement.

(perhaps one will recognize the speakers being used with it in the photo)
    all the best,
    mrh

all the best,
    mrh

I loved quad sound way back when. I vividly remember a friend playing the bells from "Dark Side of the Moon" on his car quad system. The sound was racing around the car and we were all in a, shall we say, very receptive state for sonic overload.

it ain't all pretty...

all the best,
    mrh

neat!

I have a set of Realistic Nova 6B that I picked up with my new (to me) Pioneer SA-708 TX-608 combo.

They look like a little set of Pioneer CS99s - nice walnut veneers, lattice grilles. They're heavy too. I polished them up and they look quite nice now. The 6bs are a two-way, 8" woofer and 3" tweeter. I have a set of recapped KLH Model 6s right now that I am meaning to do an A/B test with. My first impression of the Realistic speakers was that they were good in the mids and had some low end, but that perhaps the high end was a little muted. I also didn't get a clear soundstage from them I'm sure a recap would clear that up, and I read somewhere online that another Nova 6 owner found that one of his woofers was wired from the factory out of phase, which screwed up the soundstage. Since my speaker count has crept up as of late I'm not sure if I'll put the work into rewiring these - trying to sell them on right now. They would make a great basis for a frankenspeaker too - the cabinets are solid and you could probably find some interesting drivers to test out of the Parts Express catalog!

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Boy those DQs (a nice speaker sound-wise) sure look fugly without their grills! Better keep those drivers hidden.

I know JBLs are not big on this site, I'm aware of what George and Mark are alluding to above. And to be honest, my favorites are really various '80s monitor versions with the pure titanium dome tweeter which I do think was a tech. move forward for them. And I have a set of those. But other than running those on tubes, I mostly listen to my vintage speakers.

I've never heard a set of KLH 5s but I have 4 Nova 8s (which I gather are imitation 5s sitting in the dinning room of a friend down south-will pick those up eventually, probably only need two, sorry to hear mhardy give the 5s a meh!).

But I have hooked up a pair of Nova 7Bs today. And I'm fairly pleased with their sound. Some of these classic Realistic attempted reproduction of KLH aren't bad! If I had a better camera I'd put up some pics! So here is a stock photo:

cnh
    HT System:
    Pioneer VSX-820-k
    Front: Polk Monitor 7B Restored
    Rear: Currently not in service
    Center: Boston Acoustic VR12
    Sub: Bowers & Wilkins ASW600

2Ch:
    Restored Pioneer VSX-1250
    Yamaha P-500 Turntable

Living Room:
    NAD 7240PE