Name:	900x900px-LL-f677f7a8_DSC06123.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	82564Click image for larger version

Name:	900x900px-LL-8ec611ed_KGrHqNlEFCfgD8glLBQ3gl-hJbg60_57 (1).jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	82565

gonna join this place. example of the system im joining with.

Mother of all horns

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by hertz9753 View Post
    I told this guy he should post over here. No luck so far.

http://www.overclock.net/t/458907/oc...#post_19324662
    ive joined

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Nice Quads... nice stuff.
    Do you happen to know a guy in MA whose first name begins with the letter "W", by any chance? If not - I think you two would like each other :-)

all the best,
    mrh

[QUOTE=mhardy6647;1891586]Nice Quads... nice stuff.
    Do you happen to know a guy in MA whose first name begins with the letter "W", by any chance? If not - I think you two would like each other :-)

I like your rack(haha), and no i dont know any one by that name, im a kid btw (15) so other than my relative i dont know anyone.

Not mine, unfortunately - too bad, a 15 year old should have speakers and electronics like that! ;-)

My stuff is a tad more pedestrian...

all the best,
    mrh

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
    Not mine, unfortunately - too bad, a 15 year old should have speakers and electronics like that! ;-)

My stuff is a tad more pedestrian...

[IMG][/IMG]
    I have no idea how i got into this kinda stuff it happend in middle school, I love it though. Oh that a nice little se amp i love the wood finish on the chassis. Are those sophias? How do you like Sophia?

Yes they are - we taste-tested a bunch of different 2A3s in the amp (including some pretty nice vintage ones) and the Sophias won.
    all the best,
    mrh

Yes they are - we taste-tested a bunch of different 2A3s in the amp (including some pretty nice vintage ones) and the Sophias won.
    Oh really? I had a couple sophias but i settled for vintage 45s inplace of 2a3s. fun fact i live right next to sophias hq

That's interesting.

Vintage 45s are in a different category altogether; are you using globe 45s?
    all the best,
    mrh

Well this 15 yr old schools me at tubes... I'm lost.

at what point? the Sophia 2A3 (which is, as I understand it, essentially the same as their 300B but with a 2.5V filament; more plate dissipation than a 'real' 2A3)?

:-)

I certainly don't think I knew what a single-ended amplifier was when I was 15 (although I did know what a Williamson circuit was) ;-)
    all the best,
    mrh

Quote Originally Posted by Spriggs View Post
    ive joined
    Yes you did.
    AVR-Onkyo TX-NR808
    Front amp-Adcom GFA 555>Polk Audio LSi9's(Vr3 Castle Mods)
    Center amp-Adcom GFA 5400>Polk Audio LSi9 bi-wired(Vr3 Castle Mod)
    Surrounds-Polk Audio F/X500's<Onkyo TX-NR808
    Sub-Velodyne SPL-1000R

I feel like these are modern compared to some of the equipment in this thread, but here goes:

Denon DP-59L

SAE-2300

SAE-2400

Phase Linear 400 Series 2

Pioneer SA-7100

Adcom's first amp, the GFA-1

Kenwood KA-5002
    Last edited by Glen B; 03-08-2013 at 10:51 PM.
    Main system: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz Reference Series SA-11S2 | Classé CP-50, modified | Classé CA-300, modified | Classé DR-10, modified | Classé RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner with surge/spike suppression | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech AC power connectors and receptacles | Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses | Dedicated 20A IG AC line

That's interesting.

Vintage 45s are in a different category altogether; are you using globe 45s?
    I am. they are very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen B View Post
    I feel like these are modern compared to some of the equipment in this thread, but here goes:

Denon DP-59L

SAE-2300

SAE-2400

Phase Linear 400 Series 2

Pioneer SA-7100

Adcom's first amp, the GFA-1

Kenwood KA-5002
    Nope, you're good :-)

I am. they are very nice.
    cool!
    all the best,
    mrh

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

[QUOTE=Spriggs;1891593]
    Nice Quads... nice stuff.

I like your rack(haha), and no i dont know any one by that name, im a kid btw (15) so other than my relative i dont know anyone.
    Welcome to Club Polk!

OK, now you can come "clean" on who introduced you to this stuff and where you got it? It's OK. Because it's not likely that you stumbled onto it at your age (then again, remember, this is the internet so I could be 10 years old myself, if I wanted to be--not that I question your age?).

If you are 15, then there is a friend or relative somewhere in your past--a dabbler in vintage audio. And then there is the "ability" to collect such pieces with little or no "income"? So family resources?

Sorry if I'm giving you a hard time, but we've had members here create new accounts and "personas" just to pull our legs. And I am a bit of a doubting Thomas, you see!

In any case. Nice stuff, but hardly something one could collect on a 15 year old's allowance. lol

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 03-09-2013 at 02:07 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

at what point? the Sophia 2A3 (which is, as I understand it, essentially the same as their 300B but with a 2.5V filament; more plate dissipation than a 'real' 2A3)?

:-)

I certainly don't think I knew what a single-ended amplifier was when I was 15 (although I did know what a Williamson circuit was) ;-)
    I think you're being too "modest" here, mhardy. Either that or you were slacking off! lol

As for me, I was reading Camus and Sartre and articulating my own theory of the "ridiculous", and the "absurd"--something I've NEVER really recovered from. So I do NOT recommend it (you'll be brooding over the human condition for the rest of your life and die with no answers!).

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 03-09-2013 at 02:13 PM.
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

I bet this really doesn't count as 'vintage' but the person I'm buying by brand new amp from builds his new amps based on the old Dynaco ST-70 design. I'm not an electronics guy but from what I understand the design is pretty much per the orginal design except for a new modern upgrades which includes a stainless steel heavy gage chassis as opposed to the original. He sells them in kit form as well as builds them. I heard an ST-120 a few years ago and it was absolutely beautiful in sound. He has several models, one of which is referred to as the VTA ST-70 and a more powerful amp which is the VTA ST-120. I remember the ST-70 from a girl I dated in the early 80's whose father built one and had in the his family room system. Here's the link:
    http://www.tubes4hifi.com/bob.htm

I know there is another web site that also sells kits based on the original design. These are acually closer to the original design. Here's the link for those: http://www.dynakitparts.com/store/

Hope this post is appropriate.

From the first sentence, I knew you had to be talking about Bob Latino. :)
    Main system: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz Reference Series SA-11S2 | Classé CP-50, modified | Classé CA-300, modified | Classé DR-10, modified | Classé RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner with surge/spike suppression | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech AC power connectors and receptacles | Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses | Dedicated 20A IG AC line

Those old SAE's look great even today
    HT:Polk LSi c LSi 15's LSi 7's LSi FX's Dual DSW MP3K's Marantz AV7701 Sunfire TGA-7401 Oppo BDP-93 Sony PS3 Directv Genie HD DVR Sony 55" 3D LED LCD

2 C: VR3 LSIM 703's Monitor 5B's VR3 LSi 9's Audioquest Rocket 33's DSW MP 1K Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang 50Years Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's Tesla E83CC's Marantz 2385 Yamaha M80 Parasound 2100 Pre Squeezebox Touch Marantz SA8004 SACD Music Hall MMF 5.1 TT Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Pre Solid Silver IC's, Pangea PC's

My dad had the SAE amp and preamp. From back in the mid 70s. Had a pair of EPI towers for speaks. Those were monsters. I knocked more than a couple pics off the walls listening to them.

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    I think you're being too "modest" here, mhardy. Either that or you were slacking off! lol

As for me, I was reading Camus and Sartre and articulating my own theory of the "ridiculous", and the "absurd"--something I've NEVER really recovered from. So I do NOT recommend it (you'll be brooding over the human condition for the rest of your life and die with no answers!).

cnh
    Nietzsche was more fun! ;-)

PS Everything I know about philosophy I learned from Monty Python...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_WRFJwGsbY
    (some adult language from the Pythons)
    all the best,
    mrh

Oh, and back on topic - You all, likely, know the tale of the late, great James "Bongo" Bongiorno. Bongiorno started his career with Dynaco and contributed to the big Dynaco 400/410/416 power amp designs, then moved on to SAE and then on to his own Great American Sound Company (GAS).

GAS was famous for the Ampzilla power amp and numerously cleverly named (by the standards of the day - it was the 1970s, after all!) preamps and a digital tuner called... yes... Charlie (as in "Charlie the Tuner"). From GAS, he progressed to SUMO (the SUMO Charlie, at this late date, is rather better known than the original GAS version)... and, late in his life, an Ampzilla reboot called "Ampzilla 2000". www.ampzilla2000.com

Bongiorno passed away fairly recently, his sense of style in music, audio, and in matters sartorial will be missed.

source - http://www.ampzilla2000.com/JimB.jpg

A fine, large-sized JPG of the early version of the original Ampzilla amplifier: http://amp8.com/tr-amp/foreign/gas/jpeg/zilla2a2-1c.jpg

I have one GAS piece (piece of GAS?)... a somewhat scruffy but well-functioning GAS Thoebe preamp. I don't have a good photo of it; here it is in situ waiting for something to do...

Name:  thoebe.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  323.7 KB

Someday I'd love to have a Son of Ampzilla.
    Last edited by mhardy6647; 03-10-2013 at 05:37 PM.
    all the best,
    mrh

"Bongo Jim" in a red zoot suit, priceless! Twenty three skidoo!

The vintage GAS amps and the vintage Polk Audio "Monitor Series" speakers play very well together.
    all the best,
    mrh

Mr. Ampzilla? I remember the first time I heard of that amp, I thought someone was pulling my leg. Ampzilla? Really? But, as is often the case, I was WRONG. I have yet to hear one. But they do seem to be "legendary".

And the guy's history was almost as colorful as his dress?

cnh

The GAS stuff was good sounding. A little tempermental, but good sounding.
    all the best,
    mrh

Mr. Hardy,
    It appears to be calling to you.
    No affil., just thought it was timely with the recent discussion about this amp.
    Nathan

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...548541583.html
    Home Rig

SDA-1C Studios ('Pimped') I know they are only studios, but hey.
    Polk 1000p Center
    Pioneer Elite SC35 Receiver (Pre/Surround and Amplification duties!!!!)
    Sunfire Cinema Grand 5X200-Now in storage
    OPPO BDP-93
    Squeezebox
    Stepped up to name brand Speaker Cables and interconnects!
    Monitor 7's, 10's, SDA 1B's, 2B's, 2.3TL's, all in storage waiting for me.

callin' from too far away (and too 'spensive, too)... but thanks for posting that. They're not horrifically common any more.

FWIW, the one I'd like to have is the ca. 80 wpc Son of Ampzilla :-)
    all the best,
    mrh

[QUOTE=cnh;1891961]

Welcome to Club Polk!

OK, now you can come "clean" on who introduced you to this stuff and where you got it? It's OK. Because it's not likely that you stumbled onto it at your age (then again, remember, this is the internet so I could be 10 years old myself, if I wanted to be--not that I question your age?).

If you are 15, then there is a friend or relative somewhere in your past--a dabbler in vintage audio. And then there is the "ability" to collect such pieces with little or no "income"? So family resources?

Sorry if I'm giving you a hard time, but we've had members here create new accounts and "personas" just to pull our legs. And I am a bit of a doubting Thomas, you see!

In any case. Nice stuff, but hardly something one could collect on a 15 year old's allowance. lol

cnh
    Sorry late reply
    I under your doubt it is the internet after all. I am not pulling anyones leg but yea I myself did not pay for everything 1% would be quite the overstatement as well. If you still dont believe me either continue not believing me or met me in person(loljk i dont meet strangers from the internet). But i do have the birth certificate to prove my age and a highschool ID card (I dont have my licence yet i know i should get it soon but ive just been to lazy and SOLs are coming up soon).

Thread Information