Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Down Firing vs. Front Firing Subs

Does either design have an advantage over the other?
    "My wife likes my rig......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!"

B&W CDM 1NT; B&W CDM CNT; Infinity us 1; Velodyne DEQ-8 x2; Pio Elite VSX-23; Sony SCD-CE595 SACD, Denon DP11-F TT[/COLOR]

Member Sales Rating: (27)

Some argue down firing subwoofers will be a tad louder as gravity is on its side...

On the flip side some will argue that down firing subwoofers are not as accurate as front firing...

But otherwise no... no real advantage
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Quote Originally Posted by VR3 View Post
    Some argue down firing subwoofers will be a tad louder as gravity is on its side...

On the flip side some will argue that down firing subwoofers are not as accurate as front firing...

But otherwise no... no real advantage
    Thanks, didn't really think so either. My sub is down firing, sitting on carpet.

B&W CDM 1NT; B&W CDM CNT; Infinity us 1; Velodyne DEQ-8 x2; Pio Elite VSX-23; Sony SCD-CE595 SACD, Denon DP11-F TT[/COLOR]

It would benefit you if it does not have a plate at the bottom to put a tile or concrete slab beneath it

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Member Sales Rating: (16)

I may be completely wrong, but it just seems to me that since a down firing sub's dispersion pattern is circular, a portion of the radiated energy will go 'away' from the listening area to hit the front wall and reflect 'back' - as opposed to a front firing sub where all of the radiated energy goes directly towards the listening area.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

It would benefit you if it does not have a plate at the bottom to put a tile or concrete slab beneath it
    Good! I had started a thread about that very question, but had no response, thanks.

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Tracy View Post
    I may be completely wrong, but it just seems to me that since a down firing sub's dispersion pattern is circular, a portion of the radiated energy will go 'away' from the listening area to hit the front wall and reflect 'back' - as opposed to a front firing sub where all of the radiated energy goes directly towards the listening area.
    Due to the size of bass sound waves, any monopole(non-open baffle/dipole) sub will have a circular pattern.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    Due to the size of bass sound waves, any monopole(non-open baffle/dipole) sub will have a circular pattern.
    Wouldn't the directionality have an effect on how much is forward (front firing) vs reflected (down firing)?

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Bass is non-directional by default if I remember correctly... its such a large wave

Bass is non-directional by default if I remember correctly... its such a large wave
    It's non-directional as far as ability to localize source, but for energy dissapation and 'accuracy' wouldn't it still be dependent on 'design'? Meaning a downward firing sub still dissipates/radiates signal content and energy equally in all downward directions (and so 1/2 or a portion thereof NOT in the direction of the listening space)?

With a standard ported/sealed sub, nope. It's polar response is still a circle.

When dealing with dipole, ripole, and open baffle subs things change, their polar response is shaped like an 8.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

The only other considerations with a downfiring sub is the reduced amount of x-max(travel) available and not all sub drivers are suitable for downfiring: http://www.parts-express.com/resourc...nt-up-down.cfm

Fascinating!

Really...thanks.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

That is interesting, learn sumthin new everyday.

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

good link. I've never thought about it that way before but it makes perfect sense. basically you would look for a driver with a higher Fs (at least to a point). Low Fs driver generally have either a heavier moving mass or a looser suspension or both. Those qualities would contribute to greater sag from the diaphragm / suspension. Unless the driver had an adjustable suspension to compensate, similar to the old CV Strokers. But that then would also change the Fs and other attributes of the driver.

On another note; if one was worried about the radiation pattern of the front wave and its directionality. A down-firing sub could then be slot loaded similar to what VMPS has used for their passives in many designs. This would leave only one side open to point whichever direction you desired.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

It's not the method so much, as it is about the end result.

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

Thread Information