Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default 2 speakers as a center

Moved the SM350s from rears to act as one center. Wired them by combining two reds and two blacks at the AVR and then spreading out to each appropriate hook-up on the speakers. Will this mess my AVR up? Have been listening to it for about a half n hour and it sounds really good, but I don't want to screw anything up over the long haul.
    "My wife likes my rig......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!"

B&W CDM 1NT; B&W CDM CNT; Infinity us 1; Velodyne DEQ-8 x2; Pio Elite VSX-23; Sony SCD-CE595 SACD, Denon DP11-F TT[/COLOR]

IDK your receiver, you might want to check your manual. You want to make sure it is 4 ohm stable, which is what you have made, wiring them in parellel, since the Sm350's are 8 ohm each. IF it isn't, you could wire them in series, for a lesser load (16 ohm) on your receiver.
    Name:  series_parallel_speakers.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  23.0 KB

all is well

B&W CDM 1NT; B&W CDM CNT; Infinity us 1; Velodyne DEQ-8 x2; Pio Elite VSX-23; Sony SCD-CE595 SACD, Denon DP11-F TT[/COLOR]

You CANT wire them in series you will crossover the whole set ( say the tweeter is crossover at 2.2hz the whole setup will be ) it will sound bad .
    Plus you will find the speakers will cancell each other at 400 hz intervalls ( 400,800,1600) but if your amplifier says it will handle a lower impedance and it sounds good you found a winner there .
    I tried it once stuff sounded missing .

Quote Originally Posted by kcoc321 View Post
    IDK your receiver, you might want to check your manual. You want to make sure it is 4 ohm stable, which is what you have made, wiring them in parellel, since the Sm350's are 8 ohm each. IF it isn't, you could wire them in series, for a lesser load (16 ohm) on your receiver.
    Attachment 72646

It has been hooked up this way for about a week now with no issues. Sounds surprisingly good. I set the AVR to 6ohm setting just to be safe, but not going to keep it this way too much longer. Have a CLR 2002 coming soon to use as the center. I want to use the 350s as rears, but they are awfully big for my room. Really, really like the Def Tech sound, just trying to make it jive the best I can.

Per the above diagram, It is hooked up in parallel. I havent had it up past -30db, and the AVR doesn't seem to be getting too hot. Goofy hook up I know, but like the timbre matching
    Last edited by deronb1; 07-21-2012 at 11:14 PM.

Thread Information