Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sunny SoCal
    Posts
    2,380

    Default Pair LSiM 706C Center with SDA L/R mains?

    I have been wondering something since demoing the LSiM707's and trying one out as a 'center' channel for fun whether or not the same sound could be expected from the LSiM706C. While I was less enthusiastic about their sound in a L/R stereo as compared to the SDA's, I did really like the level of detail and realism of the LSiM's when configured as the center channel for multi-channel concert blu rays and movies. The 706C is quite an investment vs. using the often-suggested CSiA6 or a pair of CS400's.

    I currently have a single Monitor 5 handling center duty as a test and it's quite clear to me that it was not designed to handle the kind of dynamics required of a center speaker.

    Thoughts?
    _____________________________________________
    Home Theater: polkaudio Modded SDA SRS 2.3TL's, LSiM706c, 4 X TC265i Rears, SVS PB12 Plus/2
    Pioneer Elite SC-67, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, Oppo BDP-83

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pearland Texas 77584
    Posts
    1,835

    Default

    What about 2 Monitor 5 wired in series? Have you tried that?

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sunny SoCal
    Posts
    2,380

    Default

    I haven't tried that. Basically, the monitor 5 doesn't seem to handle the sudden louder dynamics of movies well. The sound becomes distorted. I imagine that XO and tweeter upgrades would help somewhat but I'm not convinced that is where I want to put my money.
    _____________________________________________
    Home Theater: polkaudio Modded SDA SRS 2.3TL's, LSiM706c, 4 X TC265i Rears, SVS PB12 Plus/2
    Pioneer Elite SC-67, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, Oppo BDP-83

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (41)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    8,741

    Default

    I think the 706 is Polks best center but the detail in the LSIm line beats the SDA's. Don't think they sound similar.

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sunny SoCal
    Posts
    2,380

    Default

    I'm not really sure that timbre matching is what I'm after. I really like the SDA's for what they do and I did not hear the LSiM's reproduce anything close to the SDA 'effect'. I agree with you that the level of detail is better in the LSiM line which is why I'm considering the center channel for where detail really counts in movies. I'm hesitant to go back to any RT series speakers since for every RT speaker I've owned, the reason I moved on was my dissatisfaction with trying to tame the tweeter.

    I realize that this is very much a personal taste sort of question.....
    _____________________________________________
    Home Theater: polkaudio Modded SDA SRS 2.3TL's, LSiM706c, 4 X TC265i Rears, SVS PB12 Plus/2
    Pioneer Elite SC-67, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, Oppo BDP-83

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A place called Winnipeg
    Posts
    2,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpowell View Post
    I'm not really sure that timbre matching is what I'm after. I really like the SDA's for what they do and I did not hear the LSiM's reproduce anything close to the SDA 'effect'. I agree with you that the level of detail is better in the LSiM line which is why I'm considering the center channel for where detail really counts in movies. I'm hesitant to go back to any RT series speakers since for every RT speaker I've owned, the reason I moved on was my dissatisfaction with trying to tame the tweeter.

    I realize that this is very much a personal taste sort of question.....
    You're comparing apples to oranges here though. A fair comparisson would be SDA's with out the IC attached vs. the LSiM's I would imagine. The SDA is a effect created by a dedicated speaker through its crossover. The LSiM's do not incorporate SDA drivers or technology. I bet head to head with no SDA the LSiM's should win. However I can't really say since I've never heard LSiM's and only my pair of un-modded SDA's.

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (41)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    8,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drenis View Post
    You're comparing apples to oranges here though. A fair comparisson would be SDA's with out the IC attached vs. the LSiM's I would imagine. The SDA is a effect created by a dedicated speaker through its crossover. The LSiM's do not incorporate SDA drivers or technology. I bet head to head with no SDA the LSiM's should win. However I can't really say since I've never heard LSiM's and only my pair of un-modded SDA's.
    Even with the Sda cable connected I think the LSIm's are better. Yes the sound stage isn't as wide but everything else is better IMO.

    Also if timbre matching isn't a concern then look at the Def Tech 8080hd. Very dynamic with a ton of detail and almost half the price of the 706.

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sunny SoCal
    Posts
    2,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leroyjr1 View Post
    Even with the Sda cable connected I think the LSIm's are better. Yes the sound stage isn't as wide but everything else is better IMO.
    It's a matter of taste/preference. Clearly the LSiM's beat the SDA's in some aspects but they are a very finicky speaker and if room conditions aren't to their liking they sound boxy and lifeless. Now a LSiM SDA speaker would be awesome but that's a dead horse that's been beaten too many times around here.

    Quote Originally Posted by leroyjr1 View Post
    Also if timbre matching isn't a concern then look at the Def Tech 8080hd. Very dynamic with a ton of detail and almost half the price of the 706.
    Thanks, I will check that center out.

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sunny SoCal
    Posts
    2,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drenis View Post
    You're comparing apples to oranges here though. A fair comparisson would be SDA's with out the IC attached vs. the LSiM's I would imagine. The SDA is a effect created by a dedicated speaker through its crossover. The LSiM's do not incorporate SDA drivers or technology. I bet head to head with no SDA the LSiM's should win. However I can't really say since I've never heard LSiM's and only my pair of un-modded SDA's.
    I disagree. Each speaker should be evaluated with its full potential in play. The SDA effect is actually creating a true stereo image; something the LSiMs cannot do since they don't cancel interaural crosstalk. Just because one speaker has a particular feature that another speaker does not shouldn't mean it is handicapped during comparison. That would be akin to me suggesting that since the SDA's don't have a 'sonic engine' that it should be disabled on the LSiM's and the ring radiator tweeter left without the 'magic box' behind it to make it fair.
    _____________________________________________
    Home Theater: polkaudio Modded SDA SRS 2.3TL's, LSiM706c, 4 X TC265i Rears, SVS PB12 Plus/2
    Pioneer Elite SC-67, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, Oppo BDP-83

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    5,565

    Default

    Have you tried the CS400/i or CS1000p? I've had no issue with brightness out of ANY speaker out of that RT lineup. They are "brighter", but nowhere near the levels of current offerings. I think going with something as detailed as the LSiM lineup will stick out like a sore thumb with SDA fronts.

    FWIW, tonally, I think that RT generation hit my sweet spot tonally. YMMV.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sunny SoCal
    Posts
    2,380

    Default

    I've owned both the CS400 and the CS1000p. They are both great center channels. I was thinking of putting a pair of CS400's to work since they would fit perfectly in my cabinet. The SDA's seem to hit my tonal sweet spot better so the thought of putting RT series back in the center with 80% of the work in movies concerns me that I might not be happy. I may just have to buy one and then have a gathering to do a shootout of the center channels.
    _____________________________________________
    Home Theater: polkaudio Modded SDA SRS 2.3TL's, LSiM706c, 4 X TC265i Rears, SVS PB12 Plus/2
    Pioneer Elite SC-67, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, Oppo BDP-83

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    577

    Default

    I have an old DefTech center for SDA L/R's and love it. Very dynamic, great clarity, and seems to match well enough. I had an Elton SACD on the other day and was standing closer than usual in front of the center and was floored by Elton's voice right in front of me. Very realistic detail and tone.

    I think it would be interesting to try a 707 for a center, but the difference in my perception of timbre between SRS2's and 707's seems huge, so I'm not sure I would like it. Lsi9 maybe?

    Love the clarity and detail from the 707. Voices are firmly centered and there's wonderful airy quality, but the soundstage width stops at the outer edge of the speakers (very wide placement and toed in for now), while the stage of the SRS's is enveloping and magical. So, for now, it's 707's for low volume late-night music, all jazz and classical; and SRS's for all other music. For HT I am still switching back & forth for now. trying to figure things out; but I think I will prefer the "surround" of the SDA's here too.
    Den: Rega RP6 , Jolida JD9ii , SBTouch , W4S DAC1 , Dared sl2000a , MIT Shotgun3 , WW Electra , Dared I-30 >> Hartley Concertmaster VI (full update by Hartley) , Sunfire Sig II >> Maggie 1.6QR (Polk SRS 1.2 in rehab)

    Office: MediaMonkey (wasapi) , HRT Streamer 2 , Dared sl2000a , Pass Aleph 30 >> Revel Performa M22 , Dared MP-5 >> Hartley Reference Mini-Tower

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vcwatkins View Post
    I think it would be interesting to try a 707 for a center
    Make that 706c
    Den: Rega RP6 , Jolida JD9ii , SBTouch , W4S DAC1 , Dared sl2000a , MIT Shotgun3 , WW Electra , Dared I-30 >> Hartley Concertmaster VI (full update by Hartley) , Sunfire Sig II >> Maggie 1.6QR (Polk SRS 1.2 in rehab)

    Office: MediaMonkey (wasapi) , HRT Streamer 2 , Dared sl2000a , Pass Aleph 30 >> Revel Performa M22 , Dared MP-5 >> Hartley Reference Mini-Tower

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A place called Winnipeg
    Posts
    2,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpowell View Post
    I disagree. Each speaker should be evaluated with its full potential in play. The SDA effect is actually creating a true stereo image; something the LSiMs cannot do since they don't cancel interaural crosstalk. Just because one speaker has a particular feature that another speaker does not shouldn't mean it is handicapped during comparison. That would be akin to me suggesting that since the SDA's don't have a 'sonic engine' that it should be disabled on the LSiM's and the ring radiator tweeter left without the 'magic box' behind it to make it fair.
    Hmm... I hadn't thought of it that way.

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sunny SoCal
    Posts
    2,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vcwatkins View Post
    I have an old DefTech center for SDA L/R's and love it. Very dynamic, great clarity, and seems to match well enough. I had an Elton SACD on the other day and was standing closer than usual in front of the center and was floored by Elton's voice right in front of me. Very realistic detail and tone.

    I think it would be interesting to try a 707 for a center, but the difference in my perception of timbre between SRS2's and 707's seems huge, so I'm not sure I would like it. Lsi9 maybe?
    I have been trying to locate a single LSi9 for that very purpose. I realize there are substantial differences between the old LSi series and the new series however, my assumption is that there must be some similarities in timber between both since both use the same tweeter. My thinking on the timber differences is that it may matter less in a HT situation where SDA's are present vs. a situation using conventional stereo speakers. The reason being that the SDA's tend to overlap the center even when they aren't playing back the full stereo signal. This overlap creates a situation where there is a blend of the center channel speaker and L/R's vs. a more distinct separation of sound.

    Have you tried one of your 707's as a center channel with your SRS's? You might try it just as a test. I'd be interested to hear your feedback.
    _____________________________________________
    Home Theater: polkaudio Modded SDA SRS 2.3TL's, LSiM706c, 4 X TC265i Rears, SVS PB12 Plus/2
    Pioneer Elite SC-67, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, Oppo BDP-83

  16. #16

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pearland Texas 77584
    Posts
    1,835

    Default

    dpowell did you ever try anything else? I am using and CS2 series2 Center with my 2.3tl and I just don't feel like it is even close to what I should be using with those big guys.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. what center & surrounds to use with RTA 11T mains
    By steveurban in forum Speakers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-19-2009, 05:59 PM
  2. Bi-amp center or mains?
    By iskandam in forum Speakers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-19-2008, 02:44 PM
  3. Got a new pair of mains!
    By VR3 in forum Speakers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-21-2007, 02:33 PM
  4. Having more than one pair of mains?
    By BRAD-TX in forum Speakers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-14-2003, 08:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts