I found an old butcher's block that had split in two and had an idea - put stereos on it!!
So I got to work. It took about 2 hours of work with an orbital sander to get the surfaces in nice and smooth condition, then I stained and poly'd them to get a nice even finish. I was debating whether to oil or seal them and went with the seal. Looking back, I probably should have oiled them - the stain and poly left some white spots on the finish. Luckily they are all covered with gear now.
I stained some pine dowels from Home Depot for the uprights and bolted 4 industrial steel castors to the bottom, which look awesome. Now my SX-1250, Yamaha P-500, Pioneer VSX-820 and blu-ray are on the bottom, and my Boston VR12 is up on top under the projection screen.
I learned some lessons in doing this one, but I think for my first time it came out pretty well.