Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5

    Default DB6501 - extremely bright after new install.

    I picked up my 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT on Friday and put in all-new speakers this weekend to replace the stock paper cones that came with it. I'm using the stock head unit with no extra amp. Factory tweeters were just using a resister. Replaced with component sets for the front and coaxial sets for the back.

    Although the sound is much cleaner than before, it seems like there is WAY too much treble in my music, something that becomes extremely apparent as I increase volume. I set the front crossovers sets to -3db for the tweeters and have to set the treble to -7 (out of +/- 10) on the head unit to sound halfway decent.

    I purchased the following speakers.

    Polk DB6501 and Polk DB651


    Crutchfield says the speakers are rated for a minimum of 10w... not sure if my headunit outputs that or not. I'm not so wild about getting an external amp as that requires a lot of wiring. I'm not sure if I should return these and get something else

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    9,644

    Default

    It could be something with your headunit. I run 2 sets of db6501's and dont find them overly bright, but they are a bit agressive. Personally I dont mind it.

    I run them off a dedicated amp (100+ watts x 2) and a non factory headunit though so YMMV.

    I would say if you dont like them, either get a new headunit, or switch them with others as you may just not like their sound at all. Your headunit should be able to put out 10 watts easy I would hope.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

    Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

    HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

    Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

    Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

    Sales Rating
    Gear

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    6,073

    Default

    You also run a sub with yours though. DB's alone can be kind of harsh, especially before they loosen up. With a sub they should start to level out better. If you do decide to throw an amp on them, they will come alive too.

    Its hard to beat a stock system for low $. Yeah, you can immediately gain details and a crisper sound, but you're usually doing so at the cost of overall freq. response of the system. Given both, I'd go with the latter. Its hard to listen to music if you don't have ANY low end in the system.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    It could be something with your headunit. I run 2 sets of db6501's and dont find them overly bright, but they are a bit agressive. Personally I dont mind it.

    I run them off a dedicated amp (100+ watts x 2) and a non factory headunit though so YMMV.

    I would say if you dont like them, either get a new headunit, or switch them with others as you may just not like their sound at all. Your headunit should be able to put out 10 watts easy I would hope.
    New headunit isn't really an option as the factory one integrates extremely well with the rest of the car (voice commands, bluetooth, steering controls, car settings etc)

    I plan on getting the Kenwood slim subwoofer in the coming months to fit under the driver's seat.

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    11,825

    Default

    Gonna be hard to fix without some EQ'ing. Its the problem you'll face with entry level speakers and and factory sound systems - they don't sound their best out of the box.

    Bi-amping would be an easy way to fix the tweeter level but the biggest problem is not just the tweeter being too loud but the crossover point is too low and you're getting upper midrange thru your tweeters which can be pretty harsh.

    You can buy a 4 channel amp and use it with your factory head unit or you could look into building your own passive crossover.

    You can also flip the phase of your tweeters. This wont lower the level but can make them blend better with the midrange which will clean up the sound a little. Give that a try first and see what of does.

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
    Gonna be hard to fix without some EQ'ing. Its the problem you'll face with entry level speakers and and factory sound systems - they don't sound their best out of the box.

    Bi-amping would be an easy way to fix the tweeter level but the biggest problem is not just the tweeter being too loud but the crossover point is too low and you're getting upper midrange thru your tweeters which can be pretty harsh.

    You can buy a 4 channel amp and use it with your factory head unit or you could look into building your own passive crossover.

    You can also flip the phase of your tweeters. This wont lower the level but can make them blend better with the midrange which will clean up the sound a little. Give that a try first and see what of does.
    The only two reasons why I haven't really been wild about putting in an amp is: tearing up my car for wiring. It's a brand new model for 2013, so there aren't any guides yet. Also, It's a small carthat I will use for camping etc, so I need all the room I can get. Having an amp in the trunk isn't an option. Maybe can I put it where the factory amp would be if I got the nav system?

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    9,644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by musicmaster View Post
    The only two reasons why I haven't really been wild about putting in an amp is: tearing up my car for wiring. It's a brand new model for 2013, so there aren't any guides yet. Also, It's a small carthat I will use for camping etc, so I need all the room I can get. Having an amp in the trunk isn't an option. Maybe can I put it where the factory amp would be if I got the nav system?
    Many 2 channel amps (and even some 4 channel ones) are small, you might even be able to place it beneath the driver or passengers seat. Polk makes some decent amps that are very inexpensively priced and would drive your speakers quite well. In addition they constantly have refurbished ones on their ebay site (link here) that are factory direct and have a warranty. So you can save some cash as well.

    It is possible to find a good balance between installing an amp and not losing tons of trunk space. I have 2 somewhat large amps in my Jetta and didnt lose much space at all. The sub box on the other hand made me lose a bunch of space lol. Just make sure you give the amp some breathing room or come up with a cooling solution such as putting a small computer fan to blow air over it.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

    Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

    HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

    Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

    Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

    Sales Rating
    Gear

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Extremely frustrated
    By heiney9 in forum Vintage Speakers
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 01-20-2012, 03:42 PM
  2. Extremely Proud of my SDA 2B Speakers
    By audiocr381ve in forum Vintage Speakers
    Replies: 145
    Last Post: 07-06-2011, 09:00 AM
  3. This is extremely interesting news
    By Jstas in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 09-12-2009, 12:19 AM
  4. Extremely rare AC/DC Black Ice mispress
    By Fongolio in forum Music & Movies
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-05-2009, 02:18 AM
  5. Extremely high resistance, WTF?
    By soiset in forum DIY, Mods & Tweaks
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 07-05-2007, 10:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts