Hello everybody this is rishiguru from India. This is my first post in this forum so kindly bear with me and also my English.
I am a young guy and have fallen in love with multi channel audio. Though I respect the so called "Analog Stereo" purist, I have my own way of enjoying music, I just get amazed by the amount of sonic information & detailing these 5.1 channel DVD discs contain which can never be expressed in a two channel stereo. And yes I am a much more of a music buff than a movie fanatic.
My love for multi channel music had led me to hunting the so called US $ 4,000 plus Uber A/V amplifiers, recently getting hold of a pre owned $4,500 Yamaha DSP-Z9 which used to sell by the name of RX-Z9 is US, the difference being RX has a tuner and comes in black, where as DSP comes in titanium/ gold and lacks tuner. These amp was availble from 2004 to 2008, mine being a bought in 2007.
Here are the DSP Z-9 specs I was able to gather:
1) Format: 9.2 channel A/V amplifier
2) Manufacturer Rated Power [20 Hz to 20 kHz, 0.015%THD, 8 ohms]: 170 watts X 7 + 50 watts X 2
3) Continuous Power [20 Hz to 20 kHz, 0.015%THD]:
2-channels (Driven simultaneously): 8 ohms = 170 + 170 watts, 6 ohms = 215 + 215 watts, 4 ohms = 290 + 290 watts
5-channels (Driven simultaneously): 8 ohms = 150 Wpc, 6 ohms = 180 Wpc, 4 ohms = 220 Wpc
7-channels (Driven simultaneously): 8 ohms = 130 Wpc, 6 ohms = 153 Wpc, 4 ohms = 190 Wpc
4) Dynamic Power: 2-channels (Driven simultaneously):
8 ohms = 210 + 210 watts, 6 ohms = 260 + 260 watts, 4 ohms = 340 + 340 watts, 2 ohms = 580 + 580 watts
5) THX Certification: Ultra 2 [This receiver passes the 3.2 ohm all channels driven high current torture test mandated for THX Ultra2 Certification.]
6) Power Amplifier Input Fuse Rating: 20A, 250 volts
7) Power Transformer Type: Toroidal
8) Power Transformer Rating: 1500 VA
9) Power Capacitors: Nichicon 28,000uF X 2, 80 volts
10) Power Amplifier Rail Voltage: +- 65volts
11) Pre & Power Amp Section: The DSP-Z-9s pre & power amplifier circuit design architectures & PCB layout are exotic in nature and are found on US $10,000 plus separates. The pre-amplifier section uses a fully balanced wiring for audio signal transmission with high quality gold plated relays to achieve low noise & distortion and feeds the symmetrical driven fully discrete push-full power amplifier circuit configuration with a complementary FET input stage. This ensures fully balanced power output with no signal interference and highest slew rate (rate at which signal changes; affects high frequency response) and balanced clipping. Furthermore, the massive 1,500 watts low impedance toroidal transformer and a pair of high-grade Nichicon 28,000uF/ 80 volts power capacitors ensure a consistently stable power supply. This type of design architectures are extremely rare for A/V amplifiers
12) Capacitors Used: Nichicon Gold Tune [Best caps for audio]
13) Diodes: High quality Schottky Barrier Diode for High Gain S/N ratio
14) DAC: 24 bit, 192 kHz Burr Brown PCM1792DBR with DSD compatibility. Passband Ripple = 0.00001 dB, Stopband Attenuation = -130 dB
15) DAC Configuration: 9.2 channels use six PCM1792DBR DACs. It uses differential DAC configuration for the center channel, while the rest uses standard single-ended DAC configuration.
16) SNR: 129db/ 132db [Single-ended Configuration/ Dual-differential Configuration]
17) Dynamic range: 129db/ 131db [Single-ended Configuration/ Dual-differential Configuration]
18) Pure Direct Mode: Yes.
19) Speaker Relays: Gold plated relays
20) Volume Control: Highly accurate adjustment in variable steps of 0.5 db
21) Graphic Equalizer: Individual 9 band graphic equalizer for each of the nine channels
22) Tone Control: Digital tone control for front & center channels
23) Digital Link: iLink
24) Speaker Terminals: 24 Carat Hard Gold Plated
25) Video: Video switching between composite/ S-Video & component video with up-conversion upto 720p/ 1080i. Down-conversion facility is also available.
26) Multi Zone Support: Yes
27) Front Panel: 100mm thick extruded aluminum front panel
28) Weight: 66 lbs
29) Awards: In 2004 won the most respected and coveted EISA award --> Best Home Theater High-End Component. Link : EISA Awards
30) Links: Yamaha.com, AV-Land
Right now I want to own a good pair of towers for my DSP-Z9s front channels. I am a self proclaimed bass fanatic and really like the Polk Audio Rti A9 with its triple 7 inch bass drivers. But I am music lover too, so I do not want the mids & highs to get drowned in bass.
Suggestions regarding choosing floorstanders having potent bass output capability and not mid bass will be of great help. My budget is $1000 max. I have heard that the PSB Image T6 is really good VFM but am not sure that they are able to compete to A9 in bass department.
After going through many forums I have seen many says Rti's are very good for home theater speakers but not for music since they lack mids. Also the thing that worries me the most Rti's tweeters are quite finicky and keep on blowing quite a lot.
Please do keep in mind I live in India, so my choices are very limited due to unavailability. Speakers from the list below are quite easily available though:
1) Polk Audio
3) Monitor Audio
4) Morudant Short
Thanks in advance!!!