Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Choosing from different speakers?

Hi folks,

I am currently in the market to pick up an upgrade (at a budget). I am looking at either a pair of RT400's or Monitor 7c's. From what I can see under the specs, the 7's have tweets/mids/subs on them, while the RT400's only have tweets/mids? Is this correct? A little research tells me that I'd probably end up upgrading the tweets on the 7's, which isn't a huge deal to me.

What would be the best choice for mostly music? HT is not really much of an issue, as my TV is pretty tiny anyways :P

FWIW, I'm looking about the same price for either option.

Thanks.

Welcome to Club Polk :)

that is an easy one... Monitor 7's & upgrade the tweeters to the RDO-194's and a Crossover upgrade when you can ;)

Its hard to beat the monitor 7s very nice speakers.

Monitor 7's. That "sub" acts like a port, not a subwoofer. Its called a passive radiator. If you get the M7's, I'd say find you a nice vintage receiver if you don't have anything already. That's a great bang for the buck way to get into audio.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (2)

The large cone in the Monitor 7 family is not an active driver; it is a passive radiator - it serves the same physical purpose as a port in a bass reflex speaker - indeed, the Monitor 7 is a bass reflex speaker of a kind - but without the potential for "port noise". The passive radiator loading was popular in some consumer loudspeakers in the 1970s. The Monitor 7 is a two way speaker with a dome tweeter and a coated-paper 6-1/2" "midwoofer".

The Monitor 7 family were excellent loudspeakers; I've owned a pair of the "7A" version since I bought them new in 1978 and will never part with them

The other Polks you ask about I have no recollection of ever having heard.

From what speakers are you trying to "upgrade"?
    Last edited by mhardy6647; 07-25-2012 at 09:47 PM.
    all the best,
    mrh

Seems like I will be trying to get a hold of the 7c's. I'm upgrading from shoddy Sony satellite speakers from the 90's.. SS-V230's that came with my Sony STR-DE445. Neither special, but have served me fairly well thus far. That said, I feel like it's time for a big-boy upgrade

I figure I will pick up a nice amp once I get some good speakers.

Thanks for the advice, guys! Also, I appreciate the component clarification. Keep the info comin'! I will be browsing around on my free time to learn more about everything.

Here's an update.. Picked up a pair of 7c's in pretty good condition. They sound awesome! Very happy with my purchase. Next step... amp!

Welcome to the addiction. In a little more than a year's time I went from a similar system with Monitor 10's, a vintage Marantz stereo receiver, a Sony DVD player and cheapo Radio Shack IC's/speaker wire to what I have now. Regardless of all the arguments on cables/whatnot, every new addition has had a direct impact on the sound I get. If you really enjoy it, don't be surprised if you start seeing more $ going into the system.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

You went with the 7s,Im sure you will enjoy them.I have 2 sets of 7bs Im not letting go of.Dan

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I love the Monitor 7 and 10's. Just a damn fun speaker to listen to.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

So... how loud can these babies get? Do they start clipping before any danger? I don't really intend to push them very hard, but it's fun to blast music once in a while.. I don't want to blow anything out on the second day I have them.. heh.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Speakers don't clip, the power source does. How loud they can get depends greatly on the power source, each one being somewhat different. If you are still using that Sony STR-DE445 I wouldn't push your luck.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Thread Information