Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Dynamatting my BDP - Good choice!

After constantly complaining about the SQ of the Pio BDP, I finally decided to do something about it. I grabbed what Dynamat I had left and applied it to the top cover, bottom piece, and a few small strips for good measure around the optical drive casing. After putting it back together, I immediately noticed that there was obviously more heft to the machine, but more importantly, that the metal all felt more like solid plastic rather than the assortment of flimsy metal sheets it really is. I fired up a few CD's and was actually quite impressed by the change. It used to be when a multitude of instruments/music sources were playing, all detail was lost and it'd become a smeared image of bleh. Well, it still does it more than I'd prefer it to, but the effect has been DRASTICALLY reduced. I can actually focus on any music source and not lose it in a pile of mud.

I know this isn't breaking ground or anything, but I would like to share my experiences in case someone has thought about doing this. The changes I heard weren't subtle. I still want a better source, but the mod might make the BD's sound "livable" while I try to work out a bigger/better improvement in the system.

edit: I will add that I do not know yet if this has any affect on BD video. I expect there to be audible differences, but not sure what it might add otherwise. I do know that the Pangea PC did make a difference visually as well as audibly.
    Last edited by DSkip; 07-26-2012 at 11:48 PM.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Just out of curiousity, is the bdp hooked up by hdmi or analog ? Seems like your still searching for that synergy thing.

Analog through the dedicated 2 channel output. I know my source is the weak point and really needs to get upgraded. Its really the only thing I've been unhappy with. I'm trying to live with it right now because I've got the opportunity to move up the Usher line into some Mini Dancers for not a lot of dough (relatively speaking).
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Honestly I think you'd benefit more from a better DAC section than a new source. Pretty much any source you buy is going to have a compromised DAC section unless you're just going all out on something really high end. As with a receiver, you're usually better off separating your transport and your DAC as you can usually get better performance at a lower price.

The transport is obviously important, but only up to a certain point. It's one of those things where you need to have a certain quality of transport but once you've reached that point the law of diminishing returns sets in fairly quickly and going higher end yields less results. In the world of DACs however, things scale a bit more linearly, at least unti9l you hit $1k or so.

I think your Pio is fine as a transport unless it's malfunctioning. I don't think you asked for advice, but I'll give my $.02 anyway

I would hang on to your Pioneer and first focus on getting a good DAC, then maybe upgrade the Pio later if you still feel the need. I have my DAC comparison thread you can look through, but in short: I wouldn't look at anything under $300 or so, anything below that would only make a marginal improvement over your Pio, at most. In the $300 price range I'd highly recommend the Keces DA-151. If you're looking in the $500 price range I would recommend the Peachtree DAC-IT, I"m running two of those at the house and love them in each system. Over the Keces, the Peachtree offers slightly more detail but for me the more important is that it sounds slightly more lively and tends to handle poor recordings just a tad better. If you want to spend more on a DAC then there are others here who are more qualified than I to make recommendations, I've not spent enough time in the $1K range to formulate an opinion.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Danny, I've had a DAC hooked up and the issue was still very present. It might not be as bad now as it was then, but I will get a chance to play around a bit soon with an in-house demo of a DAC and different CDP. Yet another reason I'm holding off on the source is that I'm on the fence about doing anything because I'm not sure whether I want to stick with the CDP route or go computer-based w/ a DAC.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I wasn't going to even mention the Squeezebox since you were talking about a source, but since you brought up computer audio...

Going digital either directly out of a computer or via a Squeezebox or Sonos is the way to go IMO. It's what I've done and I've turned a few otherwise 'purists' onto it as well. If you take care to rip and organize your audio well it's a great approach. There's the convenience factor, which I why I started it in the first place. It's awesome to be able to sit on the couch and browse your entire music collection on your iPad or computer or whatever. The main thing though is that it sounds as good if not better than a traditional CDP setup, at least up to a certain point. There are no moving parts (if you set things up correctly) and the files are lossless, so the end result is just superb sound. I honestly don't know why more people don't use this type of setup.

If you decide to go the computer route I'll offer a couple suggestions:

First, if you can swing it, the Squeezebox or Sonos route is the simplest solution (those are the only two options I'd recommend, although it technically would work I'd avoid something like the Apple TV because the audio quality isn't as good). These are great because you set up some software to run on your computer, point it to your music folder, plug the player into a DAC and you're good to go. My personal experience is with the Squeezebox Touch and myself and several others here highly recommend that. An upgraded power supply is pretty much a must-have though so factor that in the price.

The other option is to just take the music straight out of your computer into the DAC. This gets a bit more complicated because you have to make decisions on things like what kind of interface you want to use (spdif or USB), learn about things like asynchronous USB and what kind of spdif output your computer has, and figure out what kind of software you want to use to bypass all the crappy audio drives built into Windows or Mac. This approach can ultimately save you money but is more complicated than just plugging in a SB Touch.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

It used to be when a multitude of instruments/music sources were playing, all detail was lost and it'd become a smeared image of bleh. Well, it still does it more than I'd prefer it to, but the effect has been DRASTICALLY reduced.

Are you referring to the Pioneer 51? Because I have one as well. And have never had any of the problems you describe above. It's clean and detailed to a fault, if anything, it can get a little bright on some recordings (CD).

I've compared the 51 to my much more expensive Jolida below. Sure the Jolida sounds better but not because it has way more detail? Because it's warmer and more musical.

The 51 sounds fine to me for something in its price range. And I do not believe that "vibration" is a problem with this unit. Mine is sandwiched between a Nak CA-5 pre-amp and an Adcom GFA-545. I run it through a rather low cost pair of CSW Model Sixes and you can hear just about "everything". In fact it is surprising for such a "low" cost system. And BTW, those CWSs, cheap as they are, often rival the LSi-7s.

Then again, maybe it's just my "aging" ears! Or that I find most Ushers to be way too bright. So maybe it's a subjective difference/preference.

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 07-27-2012 at 02:26 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

You may also want to try different IC's....MIT sometimes just doesn't jive with certain gear. I've use Bens silver on a pioneer bdp and it sounded pretty darn good.

cnh, I am talking about the 51fd and you might try it out. There really was a great improvement there in the imaging department. Unfortunately, the best source I've had so far has been a Toshiba HD-XA1 (RIP) that really impressed me. That is still my reference and the BDP just wasn't anywhere near it. Now, its closed the gap and has become what I see as a respectable source. I know there are still a lot of areas to improve on the system, but I don't have the $ to fix it all right now. I had the Dynamat laying around from years ago so I had nothing to lose in the experiment.

As far as the Usher's, I am more than pleased with their sound. It might be a tad bright on certain selections, but overall they are exactly what I was wanting. After a possible speaker upgrade and figuring out what exactly I want to use as a source, either IC's or some tubes for the Jolida will be the next thing to address. The PNF speaker cables really cleaned up a lot of the sound and I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

I WANT MY SPEAKER CABLES BACK
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo

Member Sales Rating: (13)

I did the dynamat extreme upgrade on my Oppo 83 and heard a slight/subtle improvement. So I also applied it to my Modwright power supply unit. When I knock on it, it has a nice solid thud feel to it now. My Placette preamp also had it underneath the lid when I bought it used.

Stuff works so good I applied some to my noisy hot tub to decrease the hum/buzz when the motor is running. Also put it underneath my noisy air purifier. Next I'd like to figure out where to apply it to my noisy fridge. After that I'm going to apply it in my ass to dampen some of the vibration there too.

Dynamat is a fantastic product. For more utilitarian applications (ie washer/dryer cabinets, HVAC ducts, etc) I use a cheap alternative (Peel and Seal). It is for roofing but is very similar to Dynamat but MUCH cheaper. I have even used it in budget minded automobile systems for sound deadening and had very good results.

I used Dynamat on my Denon DVD-2910 and I think I noticed improvement. It was either subtle or just placebo but it does make the unit mechanically sound and feel like it is of much higher quality.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade)
    Parasound: C/PT-600, HCA-800II; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i

HT:
    Denon AVR-888, Polk: RM7, PSW10, Marantz UD5005, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, DRA-825R, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S8, Monitor 5A, TSi100; Pioneer CT-6R, PL-530; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz PM5004, CD5004

Quote Originally Posted by skrol View Post
    For more utilitarian applications (ie washer/dryer cabinets, HVAC ducts, etc) I use a cheap alternative (Peel and Seal). It is for roofing but is very similar to Dynamat but MUCH cheaper. I have even used it in budget minded automobile systems for sound deadening and had very good results.
    I would worry it would have problems melting and going all over the place in a car given a car is like a massive oven in the summer.

I only ask because I am still debating doing my floor and ceiling of my car with something and this is like you said MUCH cheaper, I just worry it will bleed through/melt. I dont know enough about it though.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

So far so good after 3 years. I have seen the cheaper Dynamat peal off and jam window mechanisms. The Extreme is very good though.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade)
    Parasound: C/PT-600, HCA-800II; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i

HT:
    Denon AVR-888, Polk: RM7, PSW10, Marantz UD5005, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, DRA-825R, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S8, Monitor 5A, TSi100; Pioneer CT-6R, PL-530; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz PM5004, CD5004

Quote Originally Posted by skrol View Post
    So far so good after 3 years. I have seen the cheaper Dynamat peal off and jam window mechanisms. The Extreme is very good though.
    Yeah I got the extreme...

Interesting I will have to look into that...
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Thread Information