Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Default Sports Headphone recommendations wanted

Hey Everybody,
    I recently started going back to the gym and want to hear some tunes while I workout. So, I'm looking to buy some new sports headphones that sound great! I can't use ear buds because they are too uncomfortable feeling, so it would have to be on the ear. After a quick web search, I found the Koss KSC 75's and our very own Polk Ultrafit 2000. The reviews for the Polk don't look that great. Does anybody have experience with either of these or something better? I have a set of Senn HD-600's that I like but they're way to bulky for the gym plus the sweat would probably ruin them.

As a source I'd be using my iphone 3g. I do have a portable Pico amp/dac, but I'm not sure I'll be using it for this application.

Thanks,
    Ernie

Member Sales Rating: (17)

There is a nice "headphone forum" here now.
    I can't even imagine moving around with the HD600s. Could make for some strong neck muscles. :)
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D

Well, I decided on some Klipsch S4. Should be in arriving soon. They come with a 3 pack of different size ear inserts and I could upgrade to some comfy ones too if the stock ones don't feel right. Well see....

I didn't even notice that there is a new Headphone section now. Cool beans.

Moderators: This thread can be moved there.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Why not look at the UltraFit by Polk?
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Ern Dog View Post
    Well, I decided on some Klipsch S4. Should be in arriving soon. They come with a 3 pack of different size ear inserts and I could upgrade to some comfy ones too if the stock ones don't feel right. Well see....

I didn't even notice that there is a new Headphone section now. Cool beans.

Moderators: This thread can be moved there.
    The Klipsch S4 are very nice for sub-$100 IEMs. To me they have a very similar sound to the Polk Ultrafit 3000s; a little bass emphasis and a pleasant sound, but not the last word in resolution. The Ultrafits do fit a little better fit due to the around the ear nature (mostly an issue if jog with them), but they are bulkier as a result (not as easy to always have in your pocket). They are both really comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    Why not look at the UltraFit by Polk?
    From the few reviews I've read about it, it appears that it has some reliability issues with the build quality. See for yourself: http://www.polkaudio.com/products/ultrafit2000#reviews

Well, back to the drawing board.... The Klipsch S4 arrived today in the mail and they sounded horrible! So bad that I think it must have been defective. I bought it used on Amazon for $23. The vocals sounded very muted/tiny/echoey. I'm getting a refund and will try something else. For now I'm using the stock Apple white buds and they hurt my ears. I'm considering giving the Polk ultrafit 2000 a try because it is over the ear, but $60 is more than I want to spend right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ern Dog View Post
    Well, back to the drawing board.... The Klipsch S4 arrived today in the mail and they sounded horrible! So bad that I think it must have been defective. I bought it used on Amazon for $23. The vocals sounded very muted/tiny/echoey. I'm getting a refund and will try something else. For now I'm using the stock Apple white buds and they hurt my ears. I'm considering giving the Polk ultrafit 2000 a try because it is over the ear, but $60 is more than I want to spend right now.
    Did you try the different ear inserts? With too small a size they will sound as you describe. With too big a size you will lose the bass. I would look at the open box deals on Vanns, electronics-expo, and one call for deals on the ultrafits. At least with the 3000s, you get a lot more than 3 ear inserts and these should be under warranty from Polk still.

Quote Originally Posted by nwohlford View Post
    Did you try the different ear inserts? With too small a size they will sound as you describe. With too big a size you will lose the bass. I would look at the open box deals on Vanns, electronics-expo, and one call for deals on the ultrafits. At least with the 3000s, you get a lot more than 3 ear inserts and these should be under warranty from Polk still.
    Since they were used, they didn't come with different inserts only the Medium. I'm going to wait for a smokin' deal on the Polk 2000's

What about sennheiser ocx 880 have had mine since december 2011 and love them...

Thread Information