Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Default CNet: The Audiophiliac picks 11 of the world's best headphones

I'm not a big headphone enthusiast, but I found this story very interesting. What's your opinion?

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I have no experience with headphones (of quality) and needed a decent pair, so I ordered the Monoprice set yesterday.

Member Sales Rating: (21)

So, Worlds Best means best for the $'s you want to spend, not the World's Best Headphones.

I have the Phonak Audeo PFE's (minus the volume / toggle for phone use) and they are pretty decent IEM's. The change able tuning of them is what attracts some folks, but I prefer the more neutral sound of the grey filters and using the EQ on the player. These were the only midpriced IEM's.

The next jump for IEM's was for the $1400 FitEars's. Not sure I would spend $1400 on an IEM unless it was a custom. That being said, I know a few folks trade and sell off stuff to buy new and those might appeal to that market.

Next, the JHAudio's with DSP/AMP for $1748. The JH16's are 1149, so that makes the DSP $599. The data sheet says perfectly tuned to those IEM's. I don't know enough headphone amps and dacs to truely interpret the specs. Just seems like for $599 or less they would be alot of choices to try. The JH16's rated impedance is 18 ohms and really wouldn't need an amp.

I'm really happy with my Westome 4r's. If I did try another IEM, I would probably go customs just to see if they were that much better.

I don't have any high end phones. I run the Audio Technica M50's around the house rigs, and they do OK. The only thing in the similar price range is the Noontec Zoro. I could never buy those. They look to much like Beats and would hate having all the folks ask whey I didn't get Beats.

Of course, it's all subjective and based on personal preferences or colorization of music you prefer. Out of the headphones listed, I would like to give the HE-400's or the T-70's a listen. Kind of interesting the only showing Sennheiser had was for their wireless model.

Scott
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. ..... Frank Zappa

My Mid-Fi Systems - In The Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Best at certain price points, maybe.

Otherwise, I don't know why he'd pick the HE-400 over the HE-6? Beyer...meh. And no HD-800, really?!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (20)

He lists some good headphones, but no way that is a list of the 11 best headphones or even the best headphones in each category. It's a good read, but there are some very important headphones missing from that list.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (17)

The best (and about only) phones I've used are the HD600s. I like them a lot but can imagine a better sound.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D

You can definitely do better.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

With pricing over the HD600s what are some of the "must consider" ones?

HD-800, Beyerdynamic T1, Hifiman HE-6(you'll need a beast of an amp though), and Audeze LCD 2 or LCD 3. I heard the first three back to back on the same setup, they all sound fantastic but as far as which one sounds best will come down to personal preference and what you have for an amp.

(HE-6 just out of sight)

I have a fairly powerful headphone amp, the manley 300B neo classic. Can you tell me more about the HE-6, looks interesting!

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/...-he-6.php#tabs

Best headphones I've heard so far.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

^I would hope so given their pricepoint
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I still really like the general disposition of the HD600. I have the HD700 and HD800 sitting right here next to me and I prefer the 600 over both of those models and that's now after having had the others for a while. I've also owned the 650 and those were a little too veiled for my tastes, IMO the 600 is actually a better sounding can.

The 600 has more 'feel' or impact to the sound that I prefer, I just find them to be a very musical headphone. The HD700 and 800 both have a better soundstage and better detail but they just don't sound as good to me. The HD600 isn't perfect though, and has a couple main drawbacks which I always cite as the reason that I'm still in search for my ultimate headphone. They really have no soundstage to speak of, I listen to alot of orchestral and classical so this is obviously an issue for me. They also don't have the best clarity and are not the final word in detail, but as a result are good with recordings of lesser quality and this isn't an area that I"m really looking for a big improvement in. Better clarity would be nice I suppose, but the soundstage is what I"m after.

My perfect headphone would be something that sounds like the HD600 but with a better soundstage.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post

My perfect headphone would be something that sounds like the HD600 but with a better soundstage.
    I think I'm also looking for this. Any comments Face? I see Crutchfield allows a trial period, no more cost than other sites.

Try any high end headphone before you buy: http://www.thecableco.com/newsletter....aspx?iid=5822

I haven't tried the HD600, but did find the HE-6 had a larger soundstage than the HD800.

Member Sales Rating: (58)

The Audeze are very interesting to me but that review is pretty lame. I'm not sure why he made some of the choices he did aside from them being all the companies would send him at that time and he just used other reviews to fill in the blanks. Headphones are sorely underrated and a real pleasure to get deep into as far as spending a little money to get amazing returns.

I've owned dozens of many brands over the years and have stuck with Sennheiser for the most part, HD600. I've yet to find a Grado that was worth keeping to include the RS1(?). The Sennheisers lack the very last high end details but everything else is pretty satisfying. I'm think I'm going to start trying some off brands again and see what all the buzz is about.
    Last edited by dorokusai; 08-06-2012 at 12:23 AM.

Did you get in on the deal for the 8223 for only 17.40 each?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57337747-47/how-good-can-$21.59-headphones-be/

Quote Originally Posted by TNHNDYMAN View Post
    I have no experience with headphones (of quality) and needed a decent pair, so I ordered the Monoprice set yesterday.

probably gonna catch some fire for this, but the zoro's look kinda like a beefed up version of beats, although im sure theyre in no way anywhere close to being that crappy, i'm sure they're pretty good actually, just thought the design was similar
    Last edited by Kenneth Swauger; 11-11-2012 at 08:28 AM.
    HT/2channel:
    AVR: Yamaha RX-V 765
    Fronts: Polk RTiA3
    sub: Polk PSW110(will add 2x PSW 505)
    Center: CS13
    surrounds:Polk RTi4
    TV: samsung 40
    The real 2 Channel(work in progress):
    Pre:HK 3490
    Amp:Parasound 1200 MK II
    Sub:RBH 1010-SEP
    Speakers: Monitor 5 Jr. +
    most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    ^I would hope so given their pricepoint
    why? They're by no means the most expensive out there.
    design is where science and art break even.

Quote Originally Posted by newrival View Post
    why? They're by no means the most expensive out there.
    True but 1200 bucks is quite outside my price range for headphones. I struggle to go about 500 myself.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Thread Information