Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default ~400ish for Headphones + amp or just headphones

So here's the deal.

I am looking to get a nice portable system. When I say portable I dont mean ride on the subway type thing, I mean small easy to transport setup. I can either get a set of headphones and an amp for ~400 or just headphones.

If I go with just headphones they need to be able to plug into the iPhone or Zune and just sound GREAT with no other amplification. I dont mind going with headphones that need an amp to sound their best provided the overall cost of the suggested system is ~400.

For a headphone amp I honestly am pretty sure I should go with the Schiit Asgard if I go with a headphone amp. I am open to other suggestions but it seems to be the king in the price range I have. It doesnt need to be fit in your pocket size or anything like that. I plan to put it on my desk at work or use it at home.

I am hoping to find some good isolating headphones, but at the end of the day if I just have to keep the volume down on em at work, I can deal with it provided they sound good.

These are going to be a set that last me for years so I am open to many suggestions. I am not looking for IEM's. I would like to keep this to over the hear or on ear sets. I do wear glasses 24/7 so clamp force can bother me.

I listened to a set of Grado RS2i and RS1i's and they sound awesome, but are obviously out of the budget. In reading about the 325i's they lack some of the punch the RS's have so I am not sure on them.

So lets see what suggestions/combo's folks come up with.

Assimilated I will just already post your suggestion of the PSB M4U 2. I need to read more on them, but they do seem like a good option. My only concern is my ears starting to sweat.

I am excited to hear the Polk UltraFocus 8000's which should hopefully be arriving this upcoming week.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Schiit Asgard... are you sure this is an amp and not a new product of incontinent old farts?
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Member Sales Rating: (2)

I would recommend Ultrasone Pro 900. These are closed and at 32ohms can be driven reasonably good from iDevices. Add a Tube amp and you get yourself a very good mid priced setup.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-PRO-.../dp/B001F00F0E
    -izafar

HT/Gaming
    ------------

RTi6 Mains
    CSi30 Center
    Fxi 3 Surrounds
    PSW 505 Sub
    ONKYO TX-SR605
    Sony PlayStation 3 BR Player/Gaming
    Nintendo Wii Gaming
    Samsung HP-T4254 Plasma

Headphone Gear
    -------------------

Ultrasone Pro 900 Headphones
    Little Dot 1+ Headamp
    Musical Fidelity Vdac 2 with PS3 Power Supply
    Squeezebox Touch

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    Schiit Asgard... are you sure this is an amp and not a new product of incontinent old farts?
    LOL
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Oppo BDP-105; Amps: Anthem Integrated 225; PS Audio GCPH Speakers: Polk - LSi15's (sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; B&K Reference 200.2; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

Member Sales Rating: (1)

You could look at sennheisers hd600 and a fiio e9
    HT - game room
    Yamaha RX V665 - AVR, Polk Monitor 60's,(HT), Polk Monitor 40's, Polk CS 1, Polk PSW 505, Samsung PN50B550 - 50" Plasma, PS3, Wii

2ch - spare bedroom
    Squeezebox Touch->AQ Alpha Snake->Music Hall A15.2->Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1
    Yamaha S1800(SACD),Technics SL-QD33(TT)
    Head-fi - Sennheiser HD 280, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, B&W P5, Sennheiser HD 650
    Lenovo Laptop-> Dragonfly USB DAC/amp
    Server-QNAP TS110

Thread Information