Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Your input on Bi-amping with subwoofers - no LFE input

Okay, I've just picked up a set of RT3000P's this week, and I'm still experimenting with getting the best sound out of them. It's mainly the subs I'm concerned with as the bookshelves/satellites sound great. I'd like your input on what sub wiring setups you've found work best, despite what the unwritten rules state to do.

So earlier, I had the subs routed through the LFE, and the bookshelves bi-amped. I was getting a very monotone, not very diverse bass response from the subs. I've just re-wired the setup, running speaker wire to the subs, then back out to the high-end on the bookshelves, while leaving the low-end to be driven through bi-amping.

Now the subs seem louder, I'm getting more tonal range (probably from turning of the AVR x-over and using the subs), and while I know low frequencies are mostly non-directional, I've got stereo subs. The sound is just much more diverse than "the proper way" of using the LFE input. Personally, I believe if you have one sub, then go ahead and run the LFE channel, but with two...especially subs that are "tied" to the speakers like the RT3000p, there is a definite benefit to separating the channels.

So how do you run your subs? Any tips for me? What are your personal findings when experimenting?

Thanks!

Member Sales Rating: (13)

You're not bi-amping anything with an AVR. In fact, with most AVR's the more channels you use, the less power per channel it can provide.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Is that because I'm not using two completely separate amps to power the different drivers? Despite the AVR having a bi-amp feature, it's not bi-amping unless you are using two separate power amps?

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Pretty much. Bi-amping requires separate amps, each with its own power supply and the use of active crossovers.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by crajos View Post
    Is that because I'm not using two completely separate amps to power the different drivers? Despite the AVR having a bi-amp feature, it's not bi-amping unless you are using two separate power amps?
    Basically, yeah....and a seperate crossover. The bi-amp feature on most AVR's is more so a gimmick, marketing ploy. An AVR starts off with a weak power supply in general, the more channels you use, the less each channel gets in the way of power. There are some exceptions of course like the avr's with ice amps which hold their power ratings better in all channels or some beefier top of the line AVR's.

I would hook those up straight, leave the jumpers in place with a single speaker wire going to each speaker. Those subs are really ment to augment the top half and not operate as a seperate subwoofer although they can, but you'd be better served to buy a dedicated subwoofer.
    Last edited by tonyb; 08-05-2012 at 10:50 PM.

Ok, cool. Now I know. Will definitely un-bi-amp my speakers and enjoy as is! Separate power amps is a long way away. :)

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I would look for a used 2 channel power amp in the 400 buck range if money is tight. They can sure benefit from adding an amp. Good luck on your journey.

Banned

me too

Banned

okay

Thread Information