Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Sorting your music collection A-Z Help

I just finished sorting my cd collection A-Z. I suppose everyone has there own way Real names such as Don Henley files under H, Frank Zappa under Z where should I put Mothers of Invention, under the I's or along with Franks Stuff? Alan Parsons Project under the A's or P's? Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, under the P's for Page and Plant or just throw it in with Z for Zeppelin? Help me stop myself from going insane does anybody have a fool proof way, now where to put 10cc or Ten Years After. arrrrgh
    Last edited by gudnoyez; 08-07-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gudnoyez View Post
    I just finished sorting my cd collection A-Z. I suppose everyone has there own way Real names such as Don Henley files under H, Frank Zappa under Z where should I put mothers of invention,under the I's or along with Franks Stuff? Alan Parsons Project under the A's or P's? Jimmy Page and Robert Plant,under the p's for page and Plant or just throw it in with Z for Zeppelin? Help me stop my self from going insane does anybody have a fool proof way, now where to put 10cc or Ten Years After. arrrrgh
    Oh good, a fellow OCD.

Organize first by genre, then by composer, artist, or band (whoever is most important), then artist or band.

This is the way it must be!!!

Jim
    5.1 System:
    Sharp Aquos 37" LCD
    Front: SDA-CRS+
    Center: CS400i
    Surround: Monitor 7A
    PSW10 subwoofer
    Onkyo PR-SC886P Pre/Pro
    NAD T955 5 channel power amplifier
    Technics SL-1710 MK2 turntable
    Audio-Technica AT14Sa cartridge
    NAD 106 pre-amp
    Panasonic DMP-BD85 Blu-Ray
    MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz

2.0 Office System:
    Monitor 10A (Peerless)
    Outlaw 1050 receiver
    Parasound HCA-1000A power amp
    MacPro

I put 10cc in front. #'s first. As far as the rest. All Mothers of Invention goes with Zappa in the Z. Page & Plant go behind Led Zeppelin in the L's. If its a solo artist i use last name. Groups, first letter after ''THE''. Artists associated with groups go rite behind the group. The Rolling Stones go in the R's With Mick & Keiths solo stuff rite behind it. I find this workd best for me. Not truely alphabetized, but i know where every thing is.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I just sort everything by first letter of first name, keeps everything really simple. Dave Matthews goes in the d section, rush goes in the r, Hans Zimmer goes in the z, the police go in the p, the cars go in the c, etc

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    I just sort everything by first letter of first name, keeps everything really simple. (...) Hans Zimmer goes in the z
    Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    the police go in the p, the cars go in the c,
    False! All the "The" bands go under T.

Also, there are no genres in my collection!
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : MFW-15 (RIP): Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 : Adcom GFA-7500 : PS3 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Onkyo TX-SR575 : DIRECTV HR22 DVR : LG 50PQ30 HDTV
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic

Do you usually fret over things like this? There are numerous medications that are available for problems like these, see your family physician for details.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Watch the movie High Fidelity.
    Dick: I guess it looks as if you're reorganizing your records. What is this though? Chronological?
    Rob: No...
    Dick: Not alphabetical...
    Rob: Nope...
    Dick: What?
    Rob: Autobiographical.
    Dick: No f*#ing way.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Bands by first letter of their band name and solo artists by the first letter of their last name. That is how I have always done it.
    Sony STR-5400ES, Emotiva XPA-3, RTi A9's, CSi A6, FXi A6,s, SVS PB12-NSD, Sony KDL52W5100, Sony BDP-S770,
    Pro-Ject RPM 1.3/Ortofon 2M Blue, Sony SCD-CE595 SACD, APC-H10

Atlas Equator MK II & Atlas Voyager All CU interconnects, MIT EXp 2 speaker cables, AudioQuest NRG-2 Power Cords

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I used to sort by Genre and then Alphabetically.. then i switched over to Flac playback off of a server and now they just get ripped and placed on the bookshelf in no particular order.
    HT - game room
    Yamaha RX V665 - AVR, Polk Monitor 60's,(HT), Polk Monitor 40's, Polk CS 1, Polk PSW 505, Samsung PN50B550 - 50" Plasma, PS3, Wii

2ch - spare bedroom
    Squeezebox Touch->AQ Alpha Snake->Music Hall A15.2->Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1
    Yamaha S1800(SACD),Technics SL-QD33(TT)
    Head-fi - Sennheiser HD 280, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, B&W P5, Sennheiser HD 650
    Lenovo Laptop-> Dragonfly USB DAC/amp
    Server-QNAP TS110

Put them all in Microsoft word and then let it alphabetize them
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by erniejade View Post
    Watch the movie High Fidelity.
    Dick: I guess it looks as if you're reorganizing your records. What is this though? Chronological?
    Rob: No...
    Dick: Not alphabetical...
    Rob: Nope...
    Dick: What?
    Rob: Autobiographical.
    Dick: No f*#ing way.
    missed this when reading through before, but LOVE this movie!

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Go from most favorite to least favorite. When you want to hear something in particular you will know about where to look.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D

Lots of good ideas here thanks for all of your opinions. I have not seen High fidelety will have to now. I guess I will have to do a little rearanging, and once that goal is achived, keep up on it and not wait till I get a big ol pile of recent purchases, its that constant moving this one to this row so I can place said new purchases in the proper location. I might have to check into the numerous medications.

Quote Originally Posted by gfong View Post
    Bands by first letter of their band name and solo artists by the first letter of their last name. That is how I have always done it.
    I organize cd's/record albums alphabetically by the first letter of the first name for bands, first letter of the last name for individuals. Most record stores I (used to) frequent used this method. If "the" is part of the band name I disregard.

Very easy to find stuff this way.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR binding posts, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheets (3" strips) installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA transformer

I think some of you may have CDO. It's similar to OCD but it's in alphabetical order like it should be!
    7.3 HT: Sunfire TGR-3, Sunfire Series II, Mirage OMD-28, OMD-5 (x4), REL T1 (2), T2, Oppo 103D, Optoma HD8200PRO, 106" screen, SB Touch
    Family Room: Yamaha RX-V2700, RT25i, 42" Samsung, SB Duet
    Pool: Yamaha V2700, SQ Duet, Atrium 60 (2), Atrium 45 (3), Atrium 65sdi

Quote Originally Posted by squeeb View Post
    I think some of you may have CDO. It's similar to OCD but it's in alphabetical order like it should be!
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR binding posts, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheets (3" strips) installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA transformer

I separate my my pop/rock/country CDs into catagories....male vocalists, female vocalists, groups/bands, etc. Solo artists are sorted by his/her last name alphabetically. Groups/bands are sorted by the first letter of the group's/band's name; groups/bands with "The" in their names are sorted by the first letter in their names after "The", i.e. The Who is in the W section. Within each artist's section, titles are sorted chronologically, from earliest to latest. Within each title, multiple copies (original pressing vs. later remastered versions) are sorted chronologically as well.

Within my CD collection, pop/rock/country CDs are separated from the classical, new age/instrumental, multi-artists compilations/soundtracks, jazz/fusion, etc. CDs.

Solo artist who belong to groups/bands are also separated. Phil Collins will not be grouped with Genesis. Same goes for Peter Gabriel. Belinda Carlisle is separated from The Go-Go's.

There's also a separate section for early CDs.

SACDs, even when they're hybrids, are separated from regular CDs. For example, my SACD of Spandau Ballet's "True" album is separate from the 2 CD versions I have. Yeah, I know....3 versions of the album??!!

You can see it carried out below....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ematcio...7621861211321/

Western CDs are separated from my Chinese language CDs, which has a whole different sorting method since there's no alphabet. However, the basic sorting method applies as well.

Same goes for my vinyl records and cassettes.
    Last edited by Danny Tse; 08-14-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Yeah, I like to listen to my music also, AFTER I am finished organizing it by the following system:
    1. Genre, broken down into the following subset:
    A. Rock
    B. Pop-rock
    C. Post-modern
    D. Punk
    E. Post-punk
    F. New-wave
    G. Jazz
    1. new
    2. classsic
    H. Rock-a-Billy
    I. Big Band and Swing (I think you get the idea of Genre...I have many more. Now lets move on...)
    2. Alphabetical. There are several rules I follow when organizing music alphabetically. Here they are:
    i. Any "The" bands have the T ignored for obvious reasons. Examples would include "The" Doors and "The" Clash.
    ii. Any artists who thought is was wise to try a solo career still get placed after the first letter of their former band, and rule i. above still applies to this methodology. So, if Jim Morrison were alive today and had a solo career, he would be filled after all The "Doors" albums / CDs. Since "Big Audio Dynamite" was formed by the singer of the Clash, this music would be filled immediately after all of the "Clash" albums and CDs. The reason for rule ii. is simple: the solo-careers or off-shoots of the original bands are usually much lamer than the original band. Just take The "Beatles" and The "Rolling Stones" for example, but I digress.
    iii. Any Bands / Artists that are just the name of the lead singer or musician are filled by the LAST NAME of said person.
    So, The Steve Miller Band or Dave Matthews Band would be filled under "M" and "M" respectively. Fortunately, I don't have this problem with these 2 bands because I don't own any of their music. A better example would be Miles Davis...would be filled under "D", and yes I own his music. Now, if you are still reading this post at this point, you may have asked why the last name instead of the first? The answer is simple...it is more consistent with rule ii. above in that the second word/name is chosen to file alphabetically.
    Now, with 1. and 2. covered above, lets move on to rule 3.
    3. Release date of album or CD. This is quite straight-forward, and the date can usually found on the back of most albums or CDs.

Now that is done with, I will go check my question regarding synthetic oil in The Clubhouse. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by mdaudioguy View Post
    Huh?

False! All the "The" bands go under T.

Also, there are no genres in my collection!
    HAHAH !! no way, the T section would be massive :)

Quote Originally Posted by kevhed72 View Post
    Yeah, I like to listen to my music also, AFTER I am finished organizing it by the following system:
    1. Genre, broken down into the following subset:
    A. Rock
    B. Pop-rock
    C. Post-modern
    D. Punk
    E. Post-punk
    F. New-wave
    G. Jazz
    1. new
    2. classsic
    H. Rock-a-Billy
    I. Big Band and Swing (I think you get the idea of Genre...I have many more. Now lets move on...)
    2. Alphabetical. There are several rules I follow when organizing music alphabetically. Here they are:
    i. Any "The" bands have the T ignored for obvious reasons. Examples would include "The" Doors and "The" Clash.
    ii. Any artists who thought is was wise to try a solo career still get placed after the first letter of their former band, and rule i. above still applies to this methodology. So, if Jim Morrison were alive today and had a solo career, he would be filled after all The "Doors" albums / CDs. Since "Big Audio Dynamite" was formed by the singer of the Clash, this music would be filled immediately after all of the "Clash" albums and CDs. The reason for rule ii. is simple: the solo-careers or off-shoots of the original bands are usually much lamer than the original band. Just take The "Beatles" and The "Rolling Stones" for example, but I digress.
    iii. Any Bands / Artists that are just the name of the lead singer or musician are filled by the LAST NAME of said person.
    So, The Steve Miller Band or Dave Matthews Band would be filled under "M" and "M" respectively. Fortunately, I don't have this problem with these 2 bands because I don't own any of their music. A better example would be Miles Davis...would be filled under "D", and yes I own his music. Now, if you are still reading this post at this point, you may have asked why the last name instead of the first? The answer is simple...it is more consistent with rule ii. above in that the second word/name is chosen to file alphabetically.
    Now, with 1. and 2. covered above, lets move on to rule 3.
    3. Release date of album or CD. This is quite straight-forward, and the date can usually found on the back of most albums or CDs.

Now that is done with, I will go check my question regarding synthetic oil in The Clubhouse. Cheers!
    Wow. Never would i have the patience or memory for this. What section do The Talking Heads, Patti Smith, Roxy Music, Santana or Frank Zappa go in ? Glad it works for you.

Thread Information