Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cabling Digital

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Cabling Digital

So I finally bought the Panasonic Plasma and my TubeDAC, courtesy blairfrischx, ought to be here in a couple of days.

I know that quality analog interconnects are important; is the same true for digital cable?

Any recs?

Thanks.
    Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-09 --> MIT AVT2 IC's --> Yaqin MC-10t --> MIT EXP S2 Cables --> LSiM-705's

In the Bullpen
    Adcom GFA-555ii
    Luxman R-115

Visuals
    http://StretchPhotography.com
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto

Yes it does IMHO, but you will get differing opinions. What digital cables do you need? Optical, Coaxial, HDMI, USB?
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (1)

You can pick up a Black cat for around 125.00 new, 80 or so used. Other than that, there are all sorts of digital cables available from pretty much anyone. Kimber, Audioquest, Signal, the worlds your oyster when it comes to cable variety. Oh and yes, just like RCA's, they vary in sound quality, probably not as much, but it's there none the less.

Also keep in mind your source will be your limiting factor. For connecting my TV to my AVR via optical I have a nothing special optical cable. I know the TV cant provide nearly enough of a good signal to make it worth investing in a high quality digital cable.

If I was going from a decent CD player or DAC I would spend more (like I am on the USB cord for my USB DAC)

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Sales Rating
    Gear

Yes indeed. Digital cables do make an audible difference, at least to mty ears. Depending on how they are constructed they can degrade the digital signal, and induce timing errors, both of which can degrade the sound.

Shunyata has a good explanation of how their Ztron cable technology helps digital cables even better than analog cables.
    ""Compared to other signal cables, the Cobra and Python digital cables showcase the most dramatic improvement in square-wave response.
    http://www.shunyata.com/Content/prod...alDigital.html

This page shows a square wave without Ztron and with Ztron.
    http://www.shunyata.com/Content/tech...ignalTech.html

I'll need an optical from the tv to the TubeDAC , and I believe likewise from the SqueezeBox.
    Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-09 --> MIT AVT2 IC's --> Yaqin MC-10t --> MIT EXP S2 Cables --> LSiM-705's

In the Bullpen
    Adcom GFA-555ii
    Luxman R-115

Visuals

For the TV to the tubedac go cheap. From the Squeezebox get a decent cable. I suggest Audioquest (there is one in the Flea Market that is at a very good price)

For 20 bucks you cant go wrong if you can deal with only 1.5 meters
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...and-New-In-Box!!!!!!!!!

Sales Rating
    Gear

Thanks, Dan.

I'll keep my eye on that Audioquest.

I'm not 100% positive how everything will fit onto my bookshelves yet, but once I get the DAC and the SB placed, I may jump on that.

I'm such a damned cheapskate!
    Hi-Fi

In the Bullpen
    Adcom GFA-555ii
    Luxman R-115

Visuals

http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html

This is a great glass optical cable that won't break the bank
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Quote Originally Posted by stretchl View Post
    Thanks, Dan.

I'll keep my eye on that Audioquest.

I'm not 100% positive how everything will fit onto my bookshelves yet, but once I get the DAC and the SB placed, I may jump on that.

I'm such a damned cheapskate!
    Eh we all have to decide how far down the rabbit hole we are willing to go. I started with Monoprice stuff, moved to Signal Cable interconnects and DIY Audioquest speaker cables, then up to MIT EXp1 and EXp2 gear and am now moving again.

BTW 1.5m = ~5 feet so I think you would be fine with just about any configuration with that Audioquest cable going between the SB and DAC

Sales Rating
    Gear

Thanks for the English to metric conversion, Dan. What would I do without you?
    Hi-Fi

In the Bullpen
    Adcom GFA-555ii
    Luxman R-115

Visuals

For digital connections I've always gone with it will work perfectly or it won't work at all. Unlike analog connections that will gracefully degrade audio or picture quality, digital connections tend to work great or not work at all. As such, I have not found as much value in higher priced digital cables as I have found in higher priced analog cables.
    Fronts - LS-90
    Center - CS-400i
    Sides - FX-1000
    Rears - AB755 (2)
    Sub - SVS 25-31 PC-Plus
    Amp - B&K AVR317

LOL, didnt want you to make the mistake I have sometimes of just glancing at the number and not the unit of measure as well lol. 1.5 feet would be tough for most folks whereas 5 feet is much better.

The rest of the world just needs to convert to our system

Sales Rating
    Gear

Starting to sound like his wife.

How long of cable do you need?

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Glass optical is the only way to go IMO.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by zingo View Post
    Glass optical is the only way to go IMO.
    Optical isn't the best connection as it has one one more conversion step. Optical would be my last choice if I had to choose.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (6)

If you want a surprisingly good, inexpensive cable----try Belden 1694A from Blue Jeans. Very good digital specifications.

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

Thread Information