Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Default Muse - The 2nd Law

I just gave this a first listen, comes out tomorrow here in the US. I'll save a more thorough review for when I've had a few listens, but here's my initial impression:

It's completely over the top and ridiculous, and is probably the most absurd album Muse has put out yet...and I love it!
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (6)

LOL I like Muse. One of the new songs is being played on the radio now and I think it souds good.

I"m several listens in now, and am still liking it. Madness is probably the most absurdly 'pop' song Muse has ever done, right up there with Starlight, yet I actually really like it for some stupid reason whereas I've hated Starlight since the first time I heard it.

I've not yet read any reviews on it, but my guess is that overall they'll be mixed. Those who are ok with some experimentation will likely enjoy the album more than those looking for Muse to return to their older sound with this album. I would say that:

- If you're a fan of Muse and like all their albums then I think you'll like this one as well.
    - If you like all the Muse albums up until or including Absolution but do NOT like their last albums then I'd say the chances of you liking this new album are slim
    - If you like the last few couple albums but don't dig their earlier stuff then my guess is you'll also enjoy this new album, though to what extent depends on what drew you to the last couple albums
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    - If you're a fan of Muse and like all their albums then I think you'll like this one as well.
    - If you like all the Muse albums up until or including Absolution but do NOT like their last albums then I'd say the chances of you liking this new album are slim
    - If you like the last few couple albums but don't dig their earlier stuff then my guess is you'll also enjoy this new album, though to what extent depends on what drew you to the last couple albums
    Good categorization. I'm in the first category. I'm listening now, and really like The 2nd Law so far. It's definitely more like the later stuff than the earlier stuff, but I like that.
    Last edited by gdpeck; 10-02-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I have loved it. Been spinning it for a week. Not a weak moment on this CD. And I LOVE MADNESS!!

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    I"m several listens in now, and am still liking it. Madness is probably the most absurdly 'pop' song Muse has ever done, right up there with Starlight, yet I actually really like it for some stupid reason whereas I've hated Starlight since the first time I heard it.

I've not yet read any reviews on it, but my guess is that overall they'll be mixed. Those who are ok with some experimentation will likely enjoy the album more than those looking for Muse to return to their older sound with this album. I would say that:

Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png

If you get a chance, check out the Muse concert on iTunes Festival, alot of the new material there.
    Main HT

Bedroom System

Office Rig

Member Sales Rating: (31)

I've liked all of Muse's albums up to this one. Not saying this one is bad, but lackluster compared to anything else they've put out...IMO of course.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

I snagged the hirez version from HDTracks and it's very good. It still doesn't have the dynamic range of my reference recordings, but the hirez version of this album is by far the best sounding of anything Muse has put out yet.
    Main HT

Bedroom System

Office Rig

Thread Information