Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Which sda do u want or prefer? & why

Just wondering what SDA's you want or prefer ? If you have some or not. And why..Dont hesitate to review your present model.
    I want a pair of CRS's on stands. Ive never heard them but WOW they catch my attension every time i see them. They are so SEXY. OH id love to hear some - maybe someday :)
    Last edited by boston1450; 10-06-2013 at 07:29 AM.
    RANDY
    ~SDA2b Adcom gfa555 565pre 555t 600cd Pioneer PLa35d
    ~SDA1c Denon POA2200 Yamaha RX-V1(gold) HK25 AT-LP120tt-HT 4/rs Cs400i/cc Premier Acoustic PA-150 subwoofer
    ~Marantz 2252b 5025b 6300tt Tech-a4010s monitor 7b
    ~Yamaha cr2040 Advent2 Monitor 10a
    ~Rotel RV555 monitor 4 series 2 -office-
    ~Pioneer seQ404 2-4channel headphones

I have a pair of CRS+s Randy. If and when you pay a visit, you can listen to them.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL
    Center: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hannel-Project
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...rround-Project
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat & Hurricane Nuts.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350

"So is there any tread left on those tires or is it just like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?"

www.dhsspeakerservice.com

I will do that :) i look forward to it too
    RANDY
    ~SDA1c Denon POA2200 Yamaha RX-V1(gold) HK25 AT-LP120tt-HT 4/rs Cs400i/cc Premier Acoustic PA-150 subwoofer

I've got a pair of 2.3's that I was able to pick up locally for $600. This was before I had ever even seen or heard any of the SDA's. The speakers are in absolutely mint condition and I am in the process of getting all of the mod's completed to them. My quandary right now is weather to upgrade them to TL's or not. I've performed all of the mod's except the crossover and speaker changes which are going to cost a bit more if I do decide to go the TL route. The speakers so far have been fantastic and my 2 channel listening has really gone up in time listening, quality and enjoyment. I can' wait it to get all of the rest of the mod's completed and then start upgrading some of my other components in my 2 channel system
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV

2.3TL's here; they're the only SDA's I've owned/spent time with. I've done all the mods (see sig.) and I must say I have no desire to replace them. Totally engaging, detailed, smooth, I feel like I hear the emotional intent the performers are trying to communicate. There are probably better speakers out there, but not for what I have in these.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR binding posts, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheets (3" strips) installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA transformer

I'm sonically pleased with my 1Bs, but the inability to use non-common-ground amps is frustrating.

I'd just love to upgrade to SRS 2 pin/blade, 2.3/2.3TL, or (maybe) 1Cs.

Had some 2.3 and SRS 2 deals "in the works" until the sellers reneged at the last moment...or admitted that they were too stupid to pull Craigslist advertisements.

Sold my crs's and 2.3s once my 1.2tl's arrived. I only have room to properly set up one pair of sda's. If sda's are just plopped into place they don't sound much different than any other nice sounding speaker.
    main set up; modded polk 1.2tl's, recapped mcintosh mc2500, restored yamaha c4, clearaudio emotion, nano +beta woodbody, restored sansui tu9900, sony dvp 9000es, def tech pf18 sub, dedicated listening building

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Love my SRS 2 speakers as they have the awesome combination of being one of the most rare SDAs, a great size (large but not huge), the SRS (side by side) driver configuration including 15" passive radiator, and I think they just look balanced and fantastic. Plus, mine came in almost perfect condition with original paperwork... :)

The only SDA experience is w/ the 87' 2Bs that I got for $50 at a moving sale that were also in sonically mint condition came w/ the i/c cable and the only cosmetic issue was the water stains on the White Oak wood tops. That was remedied w/ wood bleach, walnut stain, and 4 coats of clear poly.Tech mods in progress, replaced poly switches w/ 0.5 mills, Dynamat Extreme all basket spars, Liquid Nailed cabinet seams, Black Hole-5 behind mids and waiting on the 194s.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

I would say that the sweet spot for the average sized room would be SDA 1Cs. But then again, if you have some 2B TLed that might be the way to go. If you have the room the BIG BOYS will do you.

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Really, 1Cs over 2Bs. I thought the single tweeters were preferred over the dual tweets.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

I have owned mil-spec 2b's, 1c's, 2.3TL's and a few pairs of 1.2TL's. I keep coming back to the big girls because despite their size, they are the most "invisible" speakers I have yet heard. Now that all the mods are done on these, they can do just about everything from relaxed, low volume chamber music, all the way to placing you in the front row of a Van Halen concert without so much as cracking a sweat.

There is no replacement for displacement.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Runnin View Post
    Really, 1Cs over 2Bs. I thought the single tweeters were preferred over the dual tweets.
    Nope, just the side by side two tweeter models. The vertical arrangement is called a progressive point source and is preferred by most.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Ok this is based purely on appearance, not hard listening since I've NEVER heard a SDA system.

SDA SRS 1.2TL, Big, powerful looking things that probably sound as good as they look. I'm not into small...so no CRS etc. no, the big bad 1.2TL...fully hotrodded !
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II > Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Bedroom
    Harman Kardon HK 3490/HK 3375
    A:Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers Black
    B:Polk Monitor (Model) 5 with Peerless Tweets
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

Member Sales Rating: (16)

You probably ought to hear some SDA's before making your choice. Anyone can just pick the biggest most expensive and say "those are the ones". I guarantee, if you don't put those in a proper listening space or with the right gear, they will suck.

The CRS's will surprise you, you won't believe what you are listening to, again properly set-up and proper gear.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    You probably ought to hear some SDA's before making your choice. Anyone can just pick the biggest most expensive and say "those are the ones". I guarantee, if you don't put those in a proper listening space or with the right gear, they will suck.

The CRS's will surprise you, you won't believe what you are listening to, again properly set-up and proper gear.
    Title of the thread says "Which sda do u want or prefer? & why"...I just want, Wants are quite different from "need" or "requirement" :)
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II > Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Bedroom
    Harman Kardon HK 3490/HK 3375
    A:Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers Black
    B:Polk Monitor (Model) 5 with Peerless Tweets
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
    Title of the thread says "Which sda do u want or prefer? & why"...I just want, Wants are quite different from "need" or "requirement" :)
    H9 is right. Just get your ears on some and your perceptions will change, along with wants becoming needs.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

I prefer the ones I got!('85 SRS's) I've owned them for 2 months or so, and the love affair continues. Just put the new 194's in; not sure what I expected, but change was not dramatic. All good, though.

Quote Originally Posted by drumiv View Post
    I prefer the ones I got!('85 SRS's) I've owned them for 2 months or so, and the love affair continues. Just put the new 194's in; not sure what I expected, but change was not dramatic. All good, though.
    You might not be as sensitive to the rather nasty resonance spike the SL2000s have, plus the 194s need some break-in time.
    Rebuilding the crossovers will make those 194s sing.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...rround-Project

"So is there any tread left on those tires or is it just like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?"

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post

Agreed. after rebuilding both my 2As and CRS+s, both will fill my rather modest size living room/home theater to deafening levels.
    Whether I'm listening to Enya to relax, Nickleback to not relax, or the latest 7.1 blockbuster, these smaller SDAs handle it with ease.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

WMG, you're probably right about the hearing sensitivity, my ears are abused daily. I figured as much about the break-in for the tweeters. Guess I'll just have to keep playing them. Not now though, time to go to work(I need money for XO's).

Quote Originally Posted by drumiv View Post
    WMG, you're probably right about the hearing sensitivity, my ears are abused daily. I figured as much about the break-in for the tweeters. Guess I'll just have to keep playing them. Not now though, time to go to work(I need money for XO's).
    The way to really tell the difference between the sl2000 and the 194s is to listen to the 194s for a couple of weeks and then try to go back to the sl2000s. If you do that it will only take about 10 minutes before you will be wanting to put the 194s back in. At least that was the case for me.
    SDA 2BTL Sonicaps Mills resistors RDO-198s New gaskets H-nuts Erse inductors Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    Adcom GTP-450 preamp
    Adcom GFA-555 amp Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    SDA CRS+ Hidden away in the closet

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I prefer the pair I have at the moment....But I'd like a pair of 2.3TL's

One would think if CRS's are positioned correctly they could bring sonic bliss to your ear. If modded nicely & proper placement & powered properly in a room. I think those little guys would sing. Love those stands-sexxy
    RANDY

I have experienced and/ or own/ed 2A's, 2B's, (2) pairs of 1C's, SRS, 1.2TL's. I prefer the 2A/B's over the others for tonal balance. I would really like to experience the SRS 2's, 2.3's and 3.1's especially the SRS2's.

Love my 2A-TLs, and my CRS+s. Both were completely upgraded, including the Dimensional Inductors. Made a big difference in the 2As, and completely changed the character of the CRS+s. I hope to get ears on the big boys one of these days. I don't have the proper room for them though.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    I have owned mil-spec 2b's, 1c's, 2.3TL's and a few pairs of 1.2TL's. I keep coming back to the big girls because despite their size, they are the most "invisible" speakers I have yet heard. Now that all the mods are done on these, they can do just about everything from relaxed, low volume chamber music, all the way to placing you in the front row of a Van Halen concert without so much as cracking a sweat.

There is no replacement for displacement.
    Excuse me! Which models are "big girls" and "big boys" please?

Member Sales Rating: (14)

I prefer the 4.1TL's (modded CRS+'s). Because I have them
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

I now own a pair of SRS 2.3s and a pair of Monitor 10 Series IIs playing together out of my Yamaha M80 power amp and they sound wonderful together! I guess I already have the ones I want!

It's not purely black and white.
    Of course it is assumed that higher models will have better sound going by their size, # of drivers and cost.
    So 1.2TL's are most preferred. That's a given if there is room for them.

What I mean is unless all the models had new crossovers, proper room and setup, you have to take everything with grain of salt.
    I know a lot of you have fully modded speakers and that's a valid comparison but some others like me just use them and compare how they sound.

For example, if you read threads, a 4.1TL sounds better than 2B's or does it sound better than even a fully modded 2B or just the ones with new crossover and nothing else done?
    Did the comparison involved new components in all the models?
    I had CRS+, 2B standard, 2B studio and 3.1TL.
    I really hated 3.1TL but that doesn't mean 3.1TL's sound bad.
    It could be because they had bad crossover or because of my small room.
    Anyways, of the others, I liked CRS+ over both 2B's.

Boston A400, DefTech BP10,BP-2, Klipsch KG2.5,KG4,KSP-400,KSF-C5,RF3,RC3.
    JBL L20t,L80t3,L166, EPI 20+,T/E 280, Polk 4,4.5,7C,RTA-11T, KEF Coda III, Yamaha NS-690.
    SUB:PF15TL+, Energy e:XL-S8, Optimus SW-10P, Velodyne VA08BVX10. Pre: HK AP2500. Amps: BB175, Adcom GFA-555II, Rotel RB-990BX.

Thread Information