Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by nspindel View Post
    Piano black gloss sounds extremely cool. I would love that, too. But the Mrs. wanted light wood, she thinks they look perfect like this. Which means.... they look perfect like this! WAF is key on a project like this
    Yup and my wife likes the LSi 15's finish so if I do CRS+'s (or even if I get SDA 1C's) they will be done so . Re-doing the caps on the SDA's is just about the only way I would ever be able to add a set of SDA's as my fronts in the HT to run with the LSi's I have.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Wow, that is some really nice work.

Great work,looks like you went all out.
    Dan

You might have covered this and I missed it but how do the these CRS+ sound compared to the 2B TLs that you upgraded?
    SDA 2BTL Sonicaps Mills resistors RDO-198s New gaskets H-nuts Erse inductors Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    Adcom GTP-450 preamp
    Adcom GFA-555 amp Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    SDA CRS+ Hidden away in the closet

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by TennMan View Post
    You might have covered this and I missed it but how do the these CRS+ sound compared to the 2B TLs that you upgraded?
    Better. But I have upgraded a lot of gear since then, so it's apples to oranges. My 2B's never enjoyed the benefits of my Krell amp!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Thumbs up

Nice job!
    Very elegant looking CRS+.

Boston A400, DefTech BP10,BP-2, Klipsch KG2.5,KG4,KSP-400,KSF-C5,RF3,RC3.
    JBL L20t,L80t3,L166, EPI 20+,T/E 280, Polk 4,4.5,7C,RTA-11T, KEF Coda III, Yamaha NS-690.
    SUB:PF15TL+, Energy e:XL-S8, Optimus SW-10P, Velodyne VA08BVX10. Pre: HK AP2500. Amps: BB175, Adcom GFA-555II, Rotel RB-990BX.

Very nice work. I'm tempted to do my CRS's but they are the earlier twin tweeter version and think I may hold out for a set like yours.

Absolutely beautiful work you should be very proud of your workmanship.
    "Peace, Love and ICBM's"
    "50% Why... That's almost half."
    "I know, I'm sick and need help."
    ----
    www.gimpod.com
    ----
    "The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction." ~ Kenneth Swauger

Better. But I have upgraded a lot of gear since then, so it's apples to oranges. My 2B's never enjoyed the benefits of my Krell amp!
    Thanks. Beautiful work BTW.
    SDA 2BTL Sonicaps Mills resistors RDO-198s New gaskets H-nuts Erse inductors Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    Adcom GTP-450 preamp
    Adcom GFA-555 amp Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    SDA CRS+ Hidden away in the closet

Very impressive - what an amazing job. It's great to see someone take such care in the job and make sure it is done just right. Thank you for sharing with us.
    HT System:
    Pioneer VSX-820-k
    Front: Polk Monitor 7B Restored
    Rear: Currently not in service
    Center: Boston Acoustic VR12
    Sub: Bowers & Wilkins ASW600

2Ch:
    Restored Pioneer VSX-1250
    Yamaha P-500 Turntable

Living Room:
    NAD 7240PE
    Klipsch KG4

Bedroom:
    Harman Kardon 3380
    Bowers & Wilkins DM601
    Polk PSW10

In and out of rotation:
    KLH Model 6,
    Polk Monitor 5 Series II
    Design Acoustic PS-10A
    NAD 7100

nspindel, thanks for the write up and the detailed pictures. Definitely looks like a fun and very rewarding project. Almost makes me want to start my own. Thank god I took wood shop back in 7th grade. Enjoy your speakers. __________________________________________________ ___________________________________
    AVR: Denon AVR-3805, AMP: Parasound Model 2250, Front: Polk RTIA7, Center: Polk CSIA6, Surrounds: Polk FXIA6, Sub: Polk DSW PRO660WI

Look great. Only one problem. That ugly Yankees wall thing. Baltimore speakers dont like Yankees.

Actually the Yankees are damn good. I hope we can get past Texas and get a chance to play them in the ALDS.
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything

Haha! You should see all the Yankee decor in that room. You'd HATE it!

I wouldn't mind beating Baltimore in the playoffs, that'd be fun!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Stunning work, enjoy!

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

nspindel Clear out your PM box, I'm off to eat lunch and expect it to be cleared out by the time I get back.
    "Peace, Love and ICBM's"
    "50% Why... That's almost half."
    "I know, I'm sick and need help."
    ----
    www.gimpod.com
    ----
    "The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction." ~ Kenneth Swauger

Quote Originally Posted by gimpod View Post
    nspindel Clear out your PM box, I'm off to eat lunch and expect it to be cleared out by the time I get back.
    Done!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Just amazing restoration! I would not change a thing. The light veneer looks very classy! This thread should be stickied in the DIY forum!
    --Gary--

Awesome job! I like reading the stories behind the work. It reminded me of my first polks, 5jr+, that I bought in 1989 when I was in college. There was no way I could afford any of the SDA speakers back then, but I'm sure the salesmen liked watching me pick my chin off the floor walking into their main demo room with the massive SRS lineup. I stumbled on this forum while searching for parts to restore my 5jrs this past spring. Reading all the threads about SDAs brought me to purchase some 2Bs that I'm now enjoying immensely! Since then I've been doing things here and there to make them better. Not quite to the point you are at now, but hopefully someday.

Wonderful story to read and excellent work. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Tony was nice enough to reach out to me and let me know that he'd spotted an error in my crossovers, I'd connected the 0.4mH inductor to the incorrect pad. As a result, I had it wired in parallel with the 5.8uF cap and the 2R7 resistor. It should be in parallel with the tweeter. I fixed this error over the weekend. I had been noticing that the highs seemed a bit shrill and fatiguing, especially with female vocals, but I had dismissed this as just a symptom of everything needing to break in. By fixing this mistake, the highs have opened up a bit more and the shrillness is gone. Thanks to Tony for giving my work a spot-check and pointing out my error. Here are pics of the fixed crossovers:

Btw, I mentioned in the beginning that my work here is 0% innovation, 100% imitation. If you want to see a fine example of innovation, have a look here:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...t-Cup.-1.2tl-s

Very excited to soon be adding Larry's incredible stands into the setup. Looks like I'll be selling the original Polk stands soon enough. And my 1000VA Dreadnaught transformer is getting packed for shipment by Avel Lindberg. I love it when a plan comes together.

Dude, incredible work.

I'm glad Tony caught that error! You would have been sitting there wondering why your speakers SUCK after 200 hours of burn in!

Very excited to soon be adding Larry's incredible stands into the setup. Looks like I'll be selling the original Polk stands soon enough. And my 1000VA Dreadnaught transformer is getting packed for shipment by Avel Lindberg. I love it when a plan comes together.
    Since I haven't seen original neither Larry's stands, what are the differences on those?

JBL L20t,L80t3,L166, EPI 20+,T/E 280, Polk 4,4.5,7C,RTA-11T, KEF Coda III, Yamaha NS-690.
    SUB:PF15TL+, Energy e:XL-S8, Optimus SW-10P, Velodyne VA08BVX10. Pre: HK AP2500. Amps: BB175, Adcom GFA-555II, Rotel RB-990BX.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Since I haven't seen original neither Larry's stands, what are the differences on those?
    Larrys stands shoot awesomeness and glitter out in a 360 degree angle on all sides. Thats all you need to know .
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

The originals are in my photos in post #3. See this thread for Larry's:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...ght=crs+stands

Neil,

Beautiful work and a great write-up.

I'm sorry to be so late to the "party," but better late than never!

It is work like yours that make it possible for newbies like me to begin the mod process on our speakers, even if we accept that we can't do all that you did on our own.

Thank you.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Moose68Bash View Post
    Neil,

Beautiful work and a great write-up.

I'm sorry to be so late to the "party," but better late than never!

It is work like yours that make it possible for newbies like me to begin the mod process on our speakers, even if we accept that we can't do all that you did on our own.

Thank you.

Phil
    You're not late to the party at all! I've not even done an extended burn-in on these speakers yet, I'm waiting for the new Dreadnaught to be built and then I'm going to run them for 200 hours. Even with only a few dozen hours on these, though, they sound outstanding. I can't wait to see how they look on Larry's stands!

Btw, I had an earlier thread just about the veneering. I didn't do all of this myself. I did all the electronics, but my brother-in-law did all the woodwork. It's important when you take on a project like this to know what skills you have and what you'd be better off letting someone else do for you. I'm very thankful that my brother in law is a skilled woodworker, this was a pretty easy project for him. I just stood around holding things still for him! I also know that if I were ever to put new grill cloth on the grills, I wouldn't even think of doing this myself, I'd get a skilled upholsterer to do this work, because I'd certainly screw it up.

The originals are in my photos in post #3. See this thread for Larry's:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...ght=crs+stands
    I see.
    So Larry's stands are heavier, prettier and overall better. ;)

They're way higher on the bad-ass scale.

Very nice workmanship, Neil . . .

I'm betting you as excited as I am for the 1 KVA Dreadnaught to arrive

G
    Mains Polk SDA SRS 2 (modified) Sub M&K MX-100
    Power Pass Aleph 30 & Adcom GFA 5802
    Power Conditioner Furman Elite 15 PF i
    Rears Definitive Technology BP-2
    Center Definitive Technology C-1
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Source Oppo 105