Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Default R.E.M. calls it quits

Too bad...I've always enjoyed their music. A nice long run though...

After 31 years in the business and 15 albums, R.E.M., the Southern rock band hailing from Athens, Ga., announced Wednesday morning on its website that it is calling it quits. In a brief statement, the band writes:

"As R.E.M., and as lifelong friends and co-conspirators, we have decided to call it a day as a band. We walk away with a great sense of gratitude, of finality, and of astonishment at all we have accomplished. To anyone who ever felt touched by our music, our deepest thanks for listening."

Following the brief statement are individidual sentiments from the three original band members, Mike Mills, Peter Buck and Michael Stipe (original drummer Bill Berry had exited the band some time ago, replaced by Bill Rieflin).

"We feel kind of like pioneers in this -- there's no disharmony here, no falling-outs, no lawyers squaring-off," Mills writes. "We've made this decision together, amicably and with each other's best interests at heart. The time just feels right."

In other words, it's the end of the band as they know it, and they feel fine. But a piece in Rolling Stone does state, with an interview from Ethan Kaplan, owner of the R.E.M. fan community Murmurs and former senior vice president of emerging technology at Warner Bros. Records, that the band's decision was influenced by label politics.

"I suspected this was coming last fall," Kaplan tells Rolling Stone. "If you remember, they weathered a lot of storms in this business, and have always operated on their own terms. [Warner Bros.] changed starting last September, and I think the demands on a band now to get a record out were more than they might have wanted to commit. I can understand that after how hard they worked for how long, the thought of going back to 'paying dues' with new label staff, in a very weird industry, was too much."

R.E.M. released "Collapse Into Now" earlier this year to complimentary reviews. "The band doesn't engage in any current trends," Ann Powers wrote in her review for the L.A. Times. "Instead it returns to form, in detail, moving through the R.E.M. cookbook with the focus and precision of an Iron Chef."

Nearly synonymous with the phrase "jangly guitars," R.E.M. helped forge the jangle pop movement of the mid-'80s, a sound that braided together Byrds-style '60s pop and power pop's raw energy with folky overtones. Their influence has been charted far and wide, from Pavement to Wilco to the Athens-associated Elephant 6 collective to, most recently, the Decemberists, who collaborated with Buck on their celebrated album released earlier this year, "The King Is Dead."

No word yet on what any of the band members will do next but Pop & Hiss will keep you posted as we get news. In the meantime, check out R.E.M.'s 1983 TV performance of "Radio Free Europe," which David Letterman announces as their national TV debut. Holdng up a copy of "Murmur," Letterman also says, "The Los Angeles Times just named this album one of the five best released so far in 1983." R.E.M., we still feel the same way.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

Member Sales Rating: (0)

thats weird, the music theyve been writing for the last decade sounded like they quit ages ago lol
    Home Theater Setup
    • Receiver - Pioneer SC-37
    • Mains - Polk TSI500's
    • Center - Polk CS20
    • Surrounds - Infinity Flush In-Ceiling Mounted
    • Sub - Polk PSW505
    • T.V. - Insignia 47" LCD
    • Projector - Epson 5020UB
    • Projector Screen - Monoprice 92" Motorized Matte White 1.0 Gain
    • Blu-ray - Ps3 80gig Fat
    • Gaming - Xbox360 12gig Fat w/HD DVD drive
    • Broadcast - DirecTV HD DVR HR24

Never could get into their music, though they were extremely popular. They always sounded like a second tier bandfrom the 60's to me - remember The Electric Prunes ("I had Too Much to Dream Last Night")?
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

Spaceman Spiff
    Member Sales Rating: (22)

I was just as bummed when a-ha called it quits. But, I was so very fortunate to be able to see them preform live last year on their final tour at a small venue. Some of these 80's bands, like REM and a-ha will be missed. They still continued to put out great tunes way beyond the decade that made them big.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.

Member Sales Rating: (37)

They're in their late forties/early fifties and I don't think there's any way they will be able to stay away after maybe a year off. They'll be back.
    VTL ST50 w/mods/RCA6L6GC/TlfnknECC801S
    CJPV-5 w/mods
    TT CJ Sonographe SG3 Oak/Sumiko LMT/Grado Wood Plat/Sumiko PIB2/The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020/Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9/Vibrapods/MIT Shtgn AC1 IEC's/MIT Shotgun 2 IC's/MIT Shtgn 2 Speaker
    PSAudio Cryo PwrPrt Prem/ExctPwrEP15A
    Wlnt SDA 2B TL/Oak SDA SRS II TL-Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Cust SDA ICs/Mortite/Dynamat Extreme/TFLF Rings/FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels

Member Sales Rating: (37)

This is sad news for me. I've been a fan since the mid-late 80's and have most, if not all, of their albums. I like them, but I can see how people wouldn't since the sound is a little different.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

glad they left on good terms. I was listening to everybody hurts today actually.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it

At a comfortable distance.... gaining perspective

That Stipes guy has always creeped me out a little and.........that "Losing My Religion" makes me contemplate the old icepick in the ears remedy, every time I hear it. WTF is the "Afro" smiley's application ???

Member Sales Rating: (10)

"Green" was the first CD I ever purchased.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Well, everybody hurts sometimes.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

In other words, it's the end of the band as they know it, and they feel fine.

LOL.......nice
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
    http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7995/meterdq8.gif

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by brettw22 View Post
    In other words, it's the end of the band as they know it, and they feel fine.

LOL.......nice
    Good one!
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (19)

After that last album, I think it was finally time for them to realize it was over.
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by drumminman View Post
    Never could get into their music, though they were extremely popular. They always sounded like a second tier bandfrom the 60's to me - remember The Electric Prunes ("I had Too Much to Dream Last Night")?
    Hey, now... don't be dissin' the Electric Prunes. They were ahead of their time...

all the best,
    mrh

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Not sure how I missed this thread originally, but it's not too old. I own "Automatic For The People". It's the only REM CD/DVD-Audio I own. It's nicely recorded and produced. I absolutely don't agree with them politically, but this CD is a great CD musically. It has "Sweetness Follows" which appeared in "Vanilla Sky" with Tom Cruise. This song is absolutely my favorite REM song in existance. It's fantastic, IMO. Interesting side note that John Paul Jones (of Led Zeppelin) did the Orchestral arrangements on this album.
    Last edited by headrott; 11-05-2012 at 11:01 AM.
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Quote Originally Posted by headrott View Post
    Not sure how I missed this thread originally, but it's not too old. I own "Automatic For The People". It's the only REM CD/DVD-Audio I own. It's nicely recorded and produced. I absolutely don't agree with them politically, but this CD is a great CD musically. It has "Sweetness Follows" which appeared in "Vanilla Sky" with Tom Cruise. This song is absolutely my favorite REM song in existance. It's fantastic, IMO. Interesting side note that John Paul Jones (of Led Zeppelin) did the Orchestral arrangements on this album.
    Love "Man on the Moon" on that CD even though it got played to death when the movie came out.

Quote Originally Posted by gdb View Post
    That Stipes guy has always creeped me out a little and...
    It's "Stipe."
    Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-09 --> MIT AVT2 IC's --> Yaqin MC-10t --> MIT EXP S2 Cables --> LSiM-705's

In the Bullpen
    Adcom GFA-555ii
    Luxman R-115

Visuals
    http://StretchPhotography.com
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto

I have a number of their early releases on vinyl,IRS label, Murmer,to name just one. They were one of the bright spots in an otherwise crummy decade musically. Not saying all was lousy,but most!

Quote Originally Posted by stretchl View Post
    It's "Stipe."
    Thanks, I'll make the appropriate corrections in my dossier................

I have always considered them one of those "new" bands anyway.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

I remember reading that their record deal with Warner Bros. was a huge bust, they signed on and then more or less quit working afterward. Kind of a "yeah, they made hits" deal, but the contract was so huge that they had to produce huge sales to make it worthwhile, and it never panned out.

Either way, if you need an intermittent dosage of Michael Stipe, he's been making cameo appearances tossing out a "Hey-O" as a zinger to Stephen Colbert's jokes on the Colbert Report.

He should get the F back into his corner!

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Been listening to them since 85. Have almost all their CDs and a bunch of limited editions. Really love them. Haven't listened to them in a while.

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
    Hey, now... don't be dissin' the Electric Prunes. They were ahead of their time...

Quote Originally Posted by fatchowmein View Post
    Love "Man on the Moon" on that CD even though it got played to death when the movie came out.
    Couldn't agree more with both of you.

Mhardy, "I had too much to dream last night!" One of my all time favorite lines. Think about, do it, live it and maybe be "alive"?

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 11-06-2012 at 08:04 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Love R.E.M.!
    Thanks for some amazingmusic!

Stipe is a great musician, if only him and Cobain could have collaborated. I think we could have heard something special.

Quote Originally Posted by codyc1ark View Post
    Stipe is a great musician, if only him and Cobain could have collaborated. I think we could have heard something special.
    Good songwriters....yes. Great musicians? Not by a long shot.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by musky1963 View Post
    Good songwriters....yes. Great musicians? Not by a long shot.
    Depends on your idea of a great musician.

To me a great musician is one that plays music and moves your soul. REM did that for me!
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything

"Stipe is a great musician"

I always considered a "musician", a person that actually plays a musical instrument.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by musky1963 View Post
    "Stipe is a great musician"

I always considered a "musician", a person that actually plays a musical instrument.
    Actually, one's voice is considered to be a musical instrument.

And the definition of musician according to Dictionary.com is:

noun
    1. a person who makes music a profession, especially as a performer of music.
    2. any person, whether professional or not, skilled in music.

Stipe meets that criteria.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

Thread Information