Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Crossover "blown"

So this story is too long to tell but basically I ended up with 2 full LSi9 speakers that are pretty trashed. So here is the crossover, some part of it has apparently burned up and exploded or popped off the PCB.

The question is, what is this part and can I fix it by replacing it? And will that likely fix the whole crossover or is it likely that other parts are bad on this crossover. Whatever was done to this speaker they surely completely blew the midrange and obviously destroyed the crossover, not sure if the tweeters are bad, hard to tell.

The part says (Ph)5W3R0 J

Name:  LSi9BlownXover.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  281.4 KB

Member Sales Rating: (13)

It's a 3 ohm, 5 watt resistor. Replace it with a Mills 3 ohm, 12 watt resistor available from http://www.soniccraft.com/

It's a known issue, they should have used a higher wattage resistor. Should be no biggie, just replace them (clean up the board if needed) and you're good to go.

BTW, did you cook them or did you buy them that way?
    Last edited by F1nut; 11-13-2012 at 04:16 AM.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Or you could send both crossovers to Trey, VR3, and have him mod those crossovers.

Hopefully nobody was driving the 9's with a receiver.

I bought them that way then was sent a pair to replace parts thinking the only thing wrong was a blown woofer, of course after replacing all the woofers, it did not sound right, then after replacing the tweeter the same, so finally I pulled out the crossover and saw that. Maybe the whole set has some value as scrap not sure.

It looks like it would cost me around $50 to get them fixed by trey, $15 to buy new resistors from sonic, but then I would need to buy soldering iron and learn how to solder, but I am not opposed to that might be fun to learn. It is hard to find out about other options on the VR3 site since alot of information about prices etc is not there.

Quote Originally Posted by PubFiction View Post
    Maybe the whole set has some value as scrap not sure.
    No, it's all worthless. Ship all the parts to me and I will dispose of them properly. I will pay shipping.

2.1: Peachtree DAC●iT>Yaqin MC-10L w/6CA7-EH, Voskhod 6N1P-EV>polkaudio RT25i, PSW202

5.1: ATI HD5850 HDMI Bitstreaming>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RT7, CS350-LS, RT3, PSW505, Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000

Soldering is not that hard. There are tutorials around, and the equipment is not expensive. Get your learn on and have at it. The parts you need are not expensive either.

Anything you screw up can be fixed. If it were me I'd give it a go.

At the very least send the Xovers to Trey. Those speaks deserve to sing again!
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by PubFiction View Post
    It looks like it would cost me around $50 to get them fixed by trey
    +1 on Trey's work. I had the same scenario with a few TSi's I picked up for less than the salvage value. As it turned out not only were the resistors blown on each crossover, but he even fried one of the inductors...crazy stuff. I'd say push beyond just replacing the resistor, better caps really take the speaker to the next level..the end result is a pair of speakers that far outperform stock. I even had him work his magic on my center, and now my front stage for HT is pretty outrageous.

If you're looking to get some soldering skills yourself, you might even try one of his "kits", he'll send you all the parts and then you go to town on putting them all together.

Member Sales Rating: (27)

I have a pretty good deal on the LSi9 Fortress right now... :)

Shoot me an email, would love to help!

Thanks for all the love guys! :)
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Investing in inexpensive soldering equipment now will not only save you a good deal of money in the future, but it's a fun hobby and technical skill.

Thread Information