I would like to have some input from the experts here. I am planning on building a custom box for my Jeep TJ. My hope is the build a box that will house two subs and then mount the amp and CD player to the box so I can disconnect and remove when the top is off or if I want to hose out the interior (advantage of a jeep!)
My questions and concerns I'm hoping you guys can help with are:
1. should the subs be down firing or is forward okay? I'm planning on mounting the box between the rear seat and the tailgate.
2. Should the two subs have separte spaces in the box or can they share the same space? What is the rule for inside volume for a 10" or 12" sub to work properly?
3. Can the amp be mounted inside the box to protect it? Any heat issues here?
4. Any ideas on how to help the CD player not skip while rough offroading? Can it be mounted on some type of rubber grommets to help or would that just cause it to move/jiggle more?
5. Would one of the new MP3 portables work better? Seems like with no moving parts they may not skip. Does anyone make a deck unit with these MP3 "memory chip" units that would have an integrated FM tuner? That may be better than a portable.
Thanks in advance for the help. Sorry for the length, but I know you guys have ALL the answers :)