Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Default My first real headphones - Audio-Technica ATH-AD700

I was looking to buy a pair of more expensive headphones, but decided to go in "slowly".

AT ATH-AD700 open-back headhphones are now on sale for $99 on amazon.com . Will receive them in a couple of weeks and will post my first impressions!!
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    EluneVision 92" Cinema Gray fixed screen
    Onkyo TX-SR805 Pre/Pro
    Rotel RMB-1075 Amp
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Velodyne SMS-1
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 890 RF remote
    Panasonic TC-P50G20 TV + PS3 in the living room

Member Sales Rating: (1)

They're a lot of fun really good for classical and have a really nice soundstage.. however they are very light in the bass so be aware of that. because of their soundstaging they are pretty decent for gaming as well.
    HT - game room
    Yamaha RX V665 - AVR, Polk Monitor 60's,(HT), Polk Monitor 40's, Polk CS 1, Polk PSW 505, Samsung PN50B550 - 50" Plasma, PS3, Wii

2ch - spare bedroom
    Squeezebox Touch->AQ Alpha Snake->Music Hall A15.2->Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1
    Yamaha S1800(SACD),Technics SL-QD33(TT)
    Head-fi - Sennheiser HD 280, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, B&W P5, Sennheiser HD 650
    Lenovo Laptop-> Dragonfly USB DAC/amp
    Server-QNAP TS110

I am planning to use them mainly with my PCs. One has Asus Xonar DG, the other has some top of the line soundblaster sound card. Hopefully it will be enough to drive these headphones, from what I read.

Headphones connector in my Onkyo 805 has had a cold solder joint since day 1 (and I bought it new). Maybe I'll find some time and resolder that connector properly now that I have something to use it with :)

Member Sales Rating: (6)

These cans are easy to drive, but of course, a headphone amp does offer improved dynamics and detail.
    design is where science and art break even.

Finally had an afternoon to listen to these headphones. They are big and light. Definitely very good imaging and not much bass due to open back design. The only thing that I'm getting used to is the 'self-adjusting' flaps feature, not a big fan, but it will do.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

I just ordered a pair of these myself. I now have these and 2 pairs of Beyers (used from flea market) coming next week.

I'll be using them with my pc, but run the htpc through my Denon, so I should be able to push everything well.

Have you tried gaming with these Viperz? Have you noticed a particular music genre shining with these? Looking forward to playing the taste test game!
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

My first headphone is beats by dre pro,feel very good, good sound quality , appearance is also very beautiful, recommended to everyone! www.drdreheadphone.co.uk

Member Sales Rating: (0)

You even resurrect dead threads to link dre headphones? Pretty fishy. You're on the wrong forum anyway, people around here know that Dre and Bose spend more on advertising than any other brand to hype up a product not worth the money they charge.
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox One - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Philips Fidelio X1 |

Quote Originally Posted by jflail2 View Post
    I just ordered a pair of these myself. I now have these and 2 pairs of Beyers (used from flea market) coming next week.

I'll be using them with my pc, but run the htpc through my Denon, so I should be able to push everything well.

Have you tried gaming with these Viperz? Have you noticed a particular music genre shining with these? Looking forward to playing the taste test game!
    jfail, I played a bit in mine - a little FPS and some strategy games. For FPS, I'd probably prefer a closed-back headphones just for more dynamics in the sound.

These headphones are very airy soundy, not much bass. Not sure if I can say that a specific music genre shines through them - I listen to rock, jazz, pop, depending on my mood. Rock doesn't sound that great, jazz and most pop music sound very good.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Quote Originally Posted by poguy View Post
    My first headphone is beats by dre pro,feel very good, good sound quality , appearance is also very beautiful, recommended to everyone! www.drdreheadphone.co.uk
    I think "you" need a dose of JUDGE DREDD! Reported!

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    jfail, I played a bit in mine - a little FPS and some strategy games. For FPS, I'd probably prefer a closed-back headphones just for more dynamics in the sound.

These headphones are very airy soundy, not much bass. Not sure if I can say that a specific music genre shines through them - I listen to rock, jazz, pop, depending on my mood. Rock doesn't sound that great, jazz and most pop music sound very good.
    Good intel, thanks man. I have been using my Beyer 990's for gaming/living rooms listening, so these have been relegated to "ipad headphones". Perfect for listening to music and reading a book on the ipad in bed at night. Agreed on the bass being light, but for the price, I can live with it.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

Thread Information