Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Question Turntable advice

Hey guys, got a couple of quick questions. My mom has a TON of old LPs and its got me curious how much a decent turntable might cost and brands that are recommended with my equipment in mind. My AVR has a phono input and I'm guessing thats all that will be required to get it hookedup and playing? If its a relatively low cost deal I'd be tempted to jump on it considering how well people are speaking about vinyl.
    AVR - Onkyo NR809
    500gb HD for MP3 and FLAC files
    Amp - Parasound 2250 - FOR SALE BTW!! PM me if interested!
    Mains - Polk RTi12 towers
    Center - CSi5
    Surround - FXiA6's
    Sub - psw505
    Movies and games - PS3
    TV - Toshiba 52" HD

Every vehicle has one good nuetral drop in it

Yup, if you have a phono input you just need a working turntable and honestly just see what you can find around on your local CL or goodwill.

Since your in west TN, PM THHNDYMAN I know hes got a bunch of different TT's he might be able to sell you at a very good price and possibly even help set them up.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | DIY Pass BOSOZ| Parasound HCA-1200ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Is the SQ really there with vinyl or is it just hype and the 'in' thing to do?

Quote Originally Posted by snake1 View Post
    Only one way to find out. Personally I really enjoyed spinning some old LPs and found it to sound very good on my system. YYMV.

You dont have to go crazy on a Turntable when your starting out. Maybe just find something in a range cost wise your willing to try out.

If nothing else have your mom come over and surprise her by playing some of her favorite LP's and just enjoy. My dad and I had a blast.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | DIY Pass BOSOZ| Parasound HCA-1200ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Snake- IF you are interested in getting something, I do have several turntables. Prices range from $60-250 plus shipping. PM with contact info and I'll be happy to discuss any needs/wants concerns you may have. If you are still interested after talking, I'd be happy to put pics on forum, disclose any relevant functional or appearance issues and go from there.

Yes the sound quality is there but you must keep in mind it takes some effort. First thing is clean scratch free records, the scratch free part can be a pain if buying used - expensive if new, cleaning takes some effort but it is not rocket science (Google is your friend for this). Now we move on to to the table, things like cartridge overhang, anti-skating and tracking force need to be set and the stylus needs to be kept clean and dust free. Also try to find a table that has some weight/mass, the cheap mass produced tables imported from Japan during the 80's are mostly plastic and do not do a good job damping vibrations that will muck up the sound.
    2-Channel System
    Analog: VPI Traveler TT, Audio Technica 150MLX, Pro-Ject Tube Box DS
    CD Player: Jolida JD-100 Preamp: Cambridge 840E Amp: Odyssey Kismet Stereo
    Spkrs: Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature Systems

Member Sales Rating: (12)

IMO your vinyl experience will depend largely upon what digital experience you have. If you listened to less than good digital playback, then vinyl could be euphoric for you. In many cases vinyl can sound better with less of an investment than digital. And this opinion is from an old guy that grew up with vinyl. We actually had parties or get togethers back in the day that centered around the latest album release.

You have some folks that gave good advice and are willing to help, which is good. The fact that you have a bunch of vinyl makes it easier to jump in. In my locale around Chicago, used vinyl has gone up in price due to more folks seeking it.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R