Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: EMOTIVA Catalog

Member Sales Rating: (8)

At a comfortable distance.... gaining perspective

Uhhhh, status has as much to do with it as actual sound reproduction for many "participants", don't kid yourself. They who opt for a $100'000.00 automobile are usually more concerned about the status aspect than the actual "hardware" & transportation aspect. Not....that there's anything wrong with that but, please, just admit to it ! If anyone thinks that vanity, exclusivity & boastfulness aren't big factors here.....................

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by gdb View Post
    Uhhhh, status has as much to do with it as actual sound reproduction for many "participants", don't kid yourself. They who opt for a $100'000.00 automobile are usually more concerned about the status aspect than the actual "hardware" & transportation aspect. Not....that there's anything wrong with that but, please, just admit to it ! If anyone thinks that vanity, exclusivity & boastfulness aren't big factors here.....................
    And jealousy is what drives some to think that an $800 amp is as good as a $6000 amp, or cheapo cable works just as well as much more expensive cable.

Not....that there's anything wrong with that but, please, just admit to it !

I'm intrigued! When you drive to the grocery store in a $100,000 Mercedes,then drive to the same grocery store in a 25,000 Dodge Dart, Is it the same grocery store when you walk in?
    "Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by bobsauto49 View Post
    I'm intrigued! When you drive to the grocery store in a $100,000 Mercedes,then drive to the same grocery store in a 25,000 Dodge Dart, Is it the same grocery store when you walk in?
    No one is a 7/11 and the others is a Whole Foods.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

If you're just there for the groceries, either will do. If you make up reasons to go to the store, you're likely driving a Mercedes.

Feeling me now?

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

^TY^ Which one is which?
    "Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I can listen to Maroon 5 on a delco cheeseball stereo, or a Mark Levinson super-system, either way I'm sticking a rusty ice-pick into my eardrum afterwards...LOL

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    How does one determine if a certain amp is 3 times better or 10 times better? I've seen folks throw that comment out over the years, but I've never seen anyone actually say that amp A is 10 times better than amp B. How can they, it's a ridiculous notion. Just as ridiculous as the terms "bang for the buck" and "giant killer" because everyone has a different level of affordability and there are no giant killers, only wishful dreamers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Habanero Monk View Post
    Setup the two amps in question. Get them matched up. Without the end user knowing which is which and have the listener pick out
    the one that sounds best to them? Now if this follows your logic the high end amp will win, No?
    I just wanted to line up your post and my response. Just because I respond to your post didn't mean that I somehow agreed with it.

I explicitly stated: one that sounds best to them.
    So hot it burns twice

Firstly I didn't state anything like X times better, or inversely, worse.

I don't know what is more ridiculous:

That it's unreasonable for someone to think/expect a $7000 amp should sound 7 X better than a $1000 amp. Y

There you go with that X times better thing.
    Huh. I think if you took someone off the street it is not unreasonable that one of their initial reactions would be: Doesn't sound X times better. That's just an issue of educating the consumer I would think.

I put that out there as it's unreasonable to think the novice wouldn't think along those lines.

Again I'm not maintaining that a $7000 amp has to sound 7X better than a $1K amp. I am saying that put them on whatever you are using, get them matched up, and see if the difference is worth $6K to you. You started that line of thought up. Not me.

You never need to see the amps in question for an opinion to be formed.
    Last edited by Habanero Monk; 12-10-2012 at 04:23 PM.
    So hot it burns twice

Blind is not a valid testing method.
    Really? Why do you need to see the amps in question to make opinion on SQ?
    So hot it burns twice

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Spend some time going around some threads here. We have a wealth of info going on if one bothers to look.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...t=double+blind

Yeah....like the regurgitations posted on here are the correct, definitive word on anything ! (with the possible exception of Darque K's regurgitations) (they might be)

Well, when you do your own research and post your findings at the depth DK did.....we may listen then.

I know who you voted for.
    Neither....they are both useless just like the conversation in this thread that started about a catalog.
    2.0 - Zu Audio Omen MK-1B's, Peachtree Decco65 ,Zu Mission SC's, Audio Technica TT, Bugle2 & Bottlehead Reduction Phono Pre's, PS Audio UPC200, Doug's Int's
    HT - Anthem MRX300, RTIA3's, RTIA1's, CSIA4, DSW400, 55ST30, APC H15, 360 Elite, Panny DMP-BD35K

Rice is great when you're hungry and you want 2,000 of something - MH

Looking for new homes....
    MIT EXp2 Cables
    Anthem MCA20
    Polk RTiA5's

You seen it coming too.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Well, when you do your own research and post your findings at the depth DK did.....we may listen then.
    I was referring to your proclamation that the archived threads and posts here are a wealth of info and your implication that the final word on blind tests might be found therein.

Quote Originally Posted by chumlie View Post
    You seen it coming too.
    From miles away, from the plea that flamers might "save it".

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Look what u started Phil U must have seen this comin though
    My fellow Polkies did not dissapoint!!!! This thread has definitely shown many varying opinions, non of which amount to a hill of beans. Depending on how they stand Emo can be thought of as entry level, mid-fi, or even hi-end. Pretty much the same labels that the Polk speakers they are running are thought of by others. Opinions, opinions where would this place be without them.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Funny how the ones that don't or won't try better gear are the ones that keep the flame going!!!

This of course is subjective as well. My opinion is stay on your side of the fence and I will stay on mine..

Remember nobody cares about your stick figure family!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Toolfan66 View Post
    Funny how the ones that don't or won't try better gear are the ones that keep the flame going!!!

This of course is subjective as well. My opinion is stay on your side of the fence and I will stay on mine..

Remember nobody cares about your stick figure family!!!!

Who exactly is the arbiter elegantiarum as to what is "better" ? Better than what ?

That's what drives the high noses crazy, trying to convince everyone else that they know what is better & they get called on it & they don't have any fall back plan.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.

I am not positive, but I am fairly sure that I did not see anyone in this thread say that an Emo amps are the best out there. Why is it when someone brings up Emo, the "have's" immediately start slinging crap? Just the mention of it gets negative comments around here that nobody asked for really. I could see if someone was touting Emo amps as the end all out there and that everyone should rush out and buy one. And someone setting them straight that there are better/other alternatives to look at. But damn...

I have never heard any Emo gear. I would like to try some out though. Many here do not have the dough to lay down for expensive high end gear. Many, like me, get by with what they can. Why is that so hard for some to understand?
    --Gary--

"That's what drives the high noses crazy, trying to convince everyone else that they know what is better & they get called on it & they don't have any fall back plan."

Yeah, and that emperor thought he had the cat's a$$ in new clothes !

Member Sales Rating: (13)

I don't believe in blind testing as they are notoriously misleading. Do you really think a SS receiver sounds the same as a pair of OTL tube mono blocks? That was the actual result of a blind test and clearly demonstrates that blind testing for audio is completely worthless.

If the sound is not pleasing I don't care what the brand name is or what it may look like, I'm not going to make my ears suffer. It's a shame more people don't trust their hearing because that's the bottom line, always!
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by pearsall001 View Post
    That's what drives the high noses crazy, trying to convince everyone else that they know what is better & they get called on it & they don't have any fall back plan.
    This from a guy who has never heard any of their products referring to people that have.

Quote Originally Posted by pearsall001
    Having never heard an Emo amp I can't pass judgement.
    Yeah Phil, fall back on that.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Who exactly is the arbiter elegantiarum as to what is "better" ? Better than what ?

Honestly I'm just here for the fun of this thread as I really don't care what one chooses in this hobby. If that's what it is to you? If you like EMO so be it ( I do own one of their amps it's in my HT )

We all make our own choices based on many factors, enjoy the ones you make cause that's all that matters..

I don't believe in blind testing as they are notoriously misleading. Do you really think a SS receiver sounds the same as a pair of OTL tube mono blocks? That was the actual result of a blind test and clearly demonstrates that blind testing for audio is completely worthless.

If the sound is not pleasing I don't care what the brand name is or what it may look like, I'm not going to make my ears suffer. It's a shame more people don't trust their hearing because that's the bottom line, always!
    Jesse, what a load of crap! Can you imagine if someone here posted that they compared an Emo amp to others such as Krell, Pass, McIntosh, MF etc, etc, in an actual listening comparison in there system & actually preferred the Emo over the others that poor guy would have his arse ripped to shreds by guys here claiming he doesn't have a clue. Hell I've posted that I didn't find the need for a separate pre after doing comparisons with my AVR & I was just as happy with my AVR as the Krell & CJ tube pre. I was ridiculed to no end because of what my ears confirmed. Oh & by the way I did have the Emo CD player in my system for a week on it's tour & it was very, very good.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

I'd venture a guess that if Emos had come out of the gate costing 6-8 thousand bucks, a lot of the haters here would have been fanboy-lovers instead ! If a new krell were a measly grand......it'd be junk.
    Once again you have totally missed the point. That's nothing new, however.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Look what u started Phil U must have seen this comin though
    Of course he did
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Even the Emo boys will be looking down their noses at the low budget power I'm currently running.

Thread Information