Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Kid-proofing my PSW-505

Ok, so this might not be a typical "sub hookup" type question and my apologies if it's in the wrong place. Anyway, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's faced this challenge. I have a 1 year old that like to climb up on my PSW-505. Unfortunately due to my room layout there is just no better place to put it out of his reach.

Can anyone recommend a cover to surround it, some type of furniture it would go in or a better grill that would not just be soft cloth that I know he will eventually punch through one day??? Any other creative solutions you've come up with?

I don't mind him climbing up on the sides by my main fear is how he likes to pull himself up on the front and I know one day he'll just go right through the driver!

p.s. - Those that want to make snippy comments about proper child rearing/training whatever can skip to the next post. Looking for constructive feedback please! :)
    HT
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR506
    FR: Polk Monitor 40
    CNTR: Polk CS2
    Sub: Polk PSW505
    RR: Infinity SS2001 w/ SpeakerCraft 5.25" aluminum woofers and 1.5" ports
    Patio: Polk Atrium 45
    TV: Sony Bravia KDL-46XBR9
    BD: Sony BDP-S570
    Gaming: PS2 and Wii
    PWR: APC C-5

Work
    Receiver: h/k AVR 20
    CD: marantz Professional PMD320
    Mains: Infinity SS2005
    2nds: DLK 1 1/2's
    CNTR: Infinity Sterling Video

Subs: Paradigm PS-1000 w/ beefed up power circuit resistors and custom 15" w/ Polk PSW-505 amp.

What if you rotated it sideways so when he climb's up the "front" hes not climbing up the side with the driver? Beyond that the only suggestion I have (requires spending more cash) is to get a downfiring sub, like one from ElementalDesigns, SVS or Outlaw Audio. However the going rate for their stuff is higher than what you paid for your 505 (but IMO their stuff if much better so you still win).

That way obviously he can climb on it all he wants and you have no fear of him puncturing the driver.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Thanks EndersShadow,

The problem with rotating it is that it will expose the wires and connections on the rear.

In researching this problem, I have come to understand the value of a downfiring sub! Purchasing a new sub won't be an option for me though, but thank you for those recommendations.

AJ
    HT

Work

Subs: Paradigm PS-1000 w/ beefed up power circuit resistors and custom 15" w/ Polk PSW-505 amp.

Quote Originally Posted by djseafood View Post
    Thanks EndersShadow,

The problem with rotating it is that it will expose the wires and connections on the rear.

In researching this problem, I have come to understand the value of a downfiring sub! Purchasing a new sub won't be an option for me though, but thank you for those recommendations.

AJ
    This is true, but it was realistically the only option I could think of :) I myself am in the same boat as I have a PSW125 with two dogs that love to frolic and throw themselves all over the floor (and on occasion my sub). This paired with thinking about being in your situation in the future (thinking 3 kids eventually) were the reasoning for my request for different subs to my wife.

To her credit she is quite gracious in understanding my love and need for high quality audio and has approved a setup of dual PC-12NSD DSP subs (subs are downfiring w/ top ports and are in a cylinder ~24 inches high).

My only other suggestion would be to try and move it behind something if possible. I know some folks with corner mounted entertainment centers have put their subs behind them to hide them.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

My daughter does the same thing so I understand the situation. But in 1.5 years of doing this she has never damage anything (although my drivers are on the side). One suggestion is to fine some wire mesh or thin piece of board and somehow reinforce the grill so that even if he kicks if he won't kick through it to the driver. You could also built a better grill that is metal mesh - I have seen these on various websites - or order grill cloth from parts express and have two pieces or wood in a crossbeam shape underneath the grill cloth with pegs that extend it far enough that the wood does not touch the driver. Maybe that will help, just thinking out loud...
    Peace,
    Paul
    HT Rig:
    Mains, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling
    Center - Polk cs400i
    Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling
    Sub - SVS PB10-ISD
    Receiver - Pioneer VSX-1018ah-k
    Server - Logitech Squeezebox Duet
    Blu-ray - Sony BDP-S390
    DVR - DirecTV Genie + AM21
    Display - Samsung PN43E450 Plasma

Two Channel PC Rig (In progress)
    Dell Studio 540s-->Pangea USB Cable-->HRT Music Streamer II DAC-->MIT AVT1-->Dayton DTA 100a-->MIT EXP2-->Polk Monitor 5 w/Peerless

Mmm, I could remove the gas fireplace and stuff it in that hole! haha, Oh man that would rattle like crazy in there. Unfortunately there is nothing to stuff it behind either.

Paul, That is one option I was thinking of too. You've thought that out a bit further than I have. I may have to look into an option like that...If you can't hide it, fortify it!

Thanks everyone,
    AJ
    HT

Work

+1 on the metal mesh grille!!!!!
    Budget 5.1 H.T. Set Up
    HK avr 247 - Adcom GFA-7605 - Belkin PF60 Power Conditioner - Cs2 center channel - Monitor 60's fronts - Monitor 30's rears
    Mirage Bps 150i powered sub - 40"Samsung LCD ln40c530 - Sony Blu Ray Player BDP-S370 - Comcast digital hd box(motorola dcx3400)
    Monoprice Premium Interconnects Monoprice Ultra Slim HDMI w/Redmere -Knukonceptz Kord 10 Gauge Speaker Wire - Nakamichi Banana Plugs
    Custom Jumpers

I am in the exact same boat, I just got my 505 and realized that there is no protection for the driver other than the cloth. I know that one of these days he is going to put a foot right through it. What did you come up with the solve the problem? I wish now I had bought a downfiring sub but it is to late for that now.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

You guys are looking at this from the wrong angle. Put a cage around the kid instead, problem solved.

Member Sales Rating: (18)

is there an unfinished room behind the wall where the sub is? you could cut out a hole and stuff the sub in there with the grill only exposed? this way no one can climb on it.
    HT- HK 335, Rotel 1075, Miova PC, AQ Indigo speaker cable, XLO jumpers, AQ Diamondback Ics, AQ HDMI x2, AQ component, Signal cable analog II Ics, Signal cable digcoax, Signal cable Toslink, Rti8, Csi5, Rti6, Energy s10.2, Panny 42" Plasma, PS3, Harmony 1100 (on the way, thanks Sal) and Harmony PS3 Adapter(picking it up tonight) LG dvdp(for the kids) , Monster 3600MKII all on a dedicated circuit.

Have you ever thought of telling him NO?
    Main system: Proton AA-1150, Yamaha C-4, Furman Elite-15 DMi, Nakamichi CR-1A, Marantz CD5003, Squeezebox Classic, Music Hall dac25.2, Dual 1229/Denon DL-303, Music Hall MMF-5.1/Goldring 1042, Pro-Ject Speed Box II, Sennheiser HD600, Monitor Audio Silver RS8, Monitor Audio FB-210

HT: Sony KV-36FS100, Yamaha RX-V800, Furman Elite-15 DMi, Marantz DV6001, Polk Audio RT55i, RTi38, CS400i, (2) PSW450

Quote Originally Posted by classic carl View Post
    Have you ever thought of telling him NO?
    Did you see this?

Quote Originally Posted by djseafood View Post
    p.s. - Those that want to make snippy comments about proper child rearing/training whatever can skip to the next post. Looking for constructive feedback please! :)
    2.1: Peachtree DAC●iT>Yaqin MC-10L w/6CA7-EH, Voskhod 6N1P-EV>polkaudio RT25i, PSW202

5.1: ATI HD5850 HDMI Bitstreaming>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RT7, CS350-LS, RT3, PSW505, Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000

I saw it. I was just asking a question. If the OP doesn't care if his child climbs all over his sub, that's his prerogative. It wasn't meant to be snippy at all. If it was construed as such, I apologize.
    Main system: Proton AA-1150, Yamaha C-4, Furman Elite-15 DMi, Nakamichi CR-1A, Marantz CD5003, Squeezebox Classic, Music Hall dac25.2, Dual 1229/Denon DL-303, Music Hall MMF-5.1/Goldring 1042, Pro-Ject Speed Box II, Sennheiser HD600, Monitor Audio Silver RS8, Monitor Audio FB-210

HT: Sony KV-36FS100, Yamaha RX-V800, Furman Elite-15 DMi, Marantz DV6001, Polk Audio RT55i, RTi38, CS400i, (2) PSW450

+1 for what Tony said. Also you could treat the sub as you would any harmful items or wall sockets with temporary covers when not in use.
    Main Family Room: Sony 46 LCD, Sony Blue Ray, Sony DVD/VCR combo,Onkyo TXNR 708, Parasound 5250,
    Polk SDS-SRS with mods, CSI 5 center + Klipsch SC2, Polk RT2000P rears, Klipsch KG 1.5's sides, Polk Micro Pro 1000, Polk Micro Pro 2000, Polk SW505, Belkin PF60, Signal Cable Classics,Monster IC's, 2 15 amp circuits & 1 20 amp circuit.

Living Room: Belkin PF60, Parasound HCA2200, MIT ProlineEXP balanced IC's,Emotiva XDA-1 DAC/Pre,Emotiva ERC2 transport,MIT AVT2, Polk LSI 9's.

Place it under a end table. Or a plastic baby corral around it. Face the driver toward the couch or wall. Put it in a closet. Put a large plastic tote over it when its not in use. Wrap it in a heavy blanket or carpet. Put a hard grill on it from any car audio store. Anything beats torn driver.

Quote Originally Posted by classic carl View Post
    I saw it. I was just asking a question. If the OP doesn't care if his child climbs all over his sub, that's his prerogative. It wasn't meant to be snippy at all. If it was construed as such, I apologize.
    I didn't mean to imply that your comment was snippy. I just thought that the OP's original comment about child rearing was a fairly reliable indicator that he had thought about telling the child no.
    2.1: Peachtree DAC●iT>Yaqin MC-10L w/6CA7-EH, Voskhod 6N1P-EV>polkaudio RT25i, PSW202

5.1: ATI HD5850 HDMI Bitstreaming>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RT7, CS350-LS, RT3, PSW505, Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000

Quote Originally Posted by jeremymarcinko View Post
    Place it under a end table. Or a plastic baby corral around it. Face the driver toward the couch or wall. Put it in a closet. Put a large plastic tote over it when its not in use. Wrap it in a heavy blanket or carpet. Put a hard grill on it from any car audio store. Anything beats torn driver.
    Lots of good ideas here. I was thinking under an end table as well.
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Squeezebox Duet; Oppo BDP-83
    Amps: PS Audio GCPH; PS Audio DLIII(Cullen mods IV); Parasound Halo P3; B & K Reference 200.2
    Speakers: Polk - LSi15's(db sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave (In Progress)
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Though this might not look nice it might work. Get some wire and wrap it around the subs grill and around the sub in such a way that it would be almost impossible for a child to pull it off unless he had "spidey-strength". I often thought of doing this when my daughter was younger, but fortunately she never got to the point where she understood that grills can be removed or just didn't care!

Perhaps plastic coated wire might be best because those little hands might cut themselves pulling on bare wire!

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Though this might not look nice it might work. Get some wire and wrap it around the subs grill and around the sub in such a way that it would be almost impossible for a child to pull it off unless he had "spidey-strength". I often thought of doing this when my daughter was younger, but fortunately she never got to the point where she understood that grills can be removed or just didn't care!

Perhaps plastic coated wire might be best because those little hands might cut themselves pulling on bare wire!

cnh
    And then electrify the wire. They'll only touch it once...

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Quote Originally Posted by ken brydson View Post
    And then electrify the wire. They'll only touch it once...
    I believe there was some research to that effect, decades ago at Yale by a Dr. Milgram! lol

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    I believe there was some research to that effect, decades ago at Yale by a Dr. Milgram! lol

cnh
    Worked with my dog and the electric fence wire. Just sayin....

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_125G12/...e.html?tp=1053

This 12 in speaker grill will solve your problem.
    Sources-Pro-ject Debut Carbon,Sony Bdp-s5100,Toshiba HD-a3(cd transport)
    Processing and Power-Onkyo TX-NR717, ATI AT1202
    Mains-Polk Audio RTi12's
    Display- LG 60PA6500
    Misc. Panamax m4300 conditioner, Blue Jeans Ten White, Blue Jeans LC1 ICs.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

I added doors to my living room and when i wasn't home the doors were locked. solved.
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Believe it or not that was the ONLY option the wife of my customer would go for. I went to Home Depot picked up either an ac or cold air return style grill.The sub was in the garage and if the guy wanted to be in bed and not on the couch this was the option he went
    for.I gather that an in wall sub is not an option so scope out the various scenarios.I do not like the idea of a grill mesh cover, it's like inviting him to play fort w/ it.
    2chl- Adcom 555- Onkyo P-301 pre- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Samson PS-15 9 outlet- Niles Sp 6- 6 zone spkr selector- DCM TF 350s- ADC 303ax-KLH 331- Polk Audio '87 SDA 2Bs w/ ic cable (Dynamat extreme, black hole-5- Mills 0.5 resistor, liquid nails, RDO- 194 tweeters, Larry's rings, Armaflex gaskets, stained walnut tops )

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #500HD Speaker set- Sony ce 375 5 disc carosel cdp-

Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL J2060

Is there room to push the subwoofer back a bit and place a plant in front of it as a deterrent?

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I run a small charge of electricity on mine; not enough to hurt them, but enough to make them cry.

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

Hahahha! Steve... How about just get a plastic enclosure.... Put it on when you aren't home.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

It's funner to watch them cry...LOL

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

Quote Originally Posted by steveinaz View Post
    I run a small charge of electricity on mine; not enough to hurt them, but enough to make them cry.
    Polkaudio Fronts: RTi A7's Vr3 Fortress Edition
    Polkaudio Center: CSi A6 Vr3 Fortress Edition
    Polkaudio Surrounds: FXi A6's
    Sub: SVS PC12-NSD
    Marantz SR-7008
    Marantz TT-15S1
    BDP-Denon DBT-1713UD
    Denon AH-D5000's
    Synology DS 212j-4TB
    TV: Panasonic TC P55VT30

Thread Information